capacitor upgrade for Focal 2.150 amplifier - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2011, 10:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default capacitor upgrade for Focal 2.150 amplifier

hi, i have a pair of focal 2.150 car amplifiers, which are 150 ohms into 8 ohms. nice amps. out of curosity i opened up the amp and was quite dismayed to see unshielded toroid transformer (not in a shielded separate cabin to protect switching noise) no input big chokes on 12 Volts supplies and NO regulating chokes after step up voltage section..... i am making a comparison with old school amp like pioneer GM-4200.

At the moment i am just thinking to upgrade the stepped up voltage regulator capacitors.... it just have a bank of 2200uFx3 rated 35V on each side of the rail i.e. 6600uF whereas the old school amps have upto 3 times the regulator capacitor , a regulating choke and a greater operting voltage tolerance i.e 50V , my plan is to increase the capacitor bank by at least 3300uFx4 on each side of supply rail with a connecting cable .

Now ,y question is the high input rush current at startup, can i damage the diode rectifier bridge or the switching supply mosfets....or do i need to add an inductance coil in between. and btw would it make difference at loud passages and imrpove SQ.

regards

Hide this!Advertise here!