Prefered type of amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Class D or hybrid for bass ? i need 200W rms.
?
I am on the same road map than you.
My DCX2496, 2X ways enclosures, Class D system project
On my opinion, Class D has a lot of advantages, here.
Very high damping factor, good to control the HP.
Very good efficiency (>80%), where you need most of the power.
Very, very little distortion.

And, because you don't need high bandwidth you can adapt filtering (if necessary) to reduce the résidual switching frequency to near 0.

Of course, if you like smoother basses, you can make an other choice, to reduce dumping factor. Or use less diameter for your wires.
What will be your cutting frequencies ?

0-80 subs
80-250 woofers
250-3500 mids
3500-20000 tweeters

the tweeter value can lower since i will replace the tweeters soon , i have fontek ribbons but i´m considering aluminium domes or soft domes like 810921 Peerless

i want to keep crossover value outside the 300-3000 zone.

There is quite a wide philosophical gap between tubes and class D solid state...
Lot of people say that good class D amps give some kind of "tube" sound. What did-you mean by "philosophical" ? For sure, tube is an obsolete technology, and class D the latest one...
lduarte1973 said:
i want to keep crossover value outside the 300-3000 zone. .
On my side, i would avoid cross over between 2500 5000, where the ear is the most sensible. And i find it is more important to keep coherency between fundamentals and harmonics of an instrument than in the fundamental range itself. I prefer a meduium up to 16000 than a tweeter down to 3500.
And i do not care too much at what happens over 16000. I use a motor+horn, between 1000 and 20 000, and i never use the tweeter i can add for the very high. That's just a personal position, of course.
For your amps, why do not first try a pair of cheap good class D amps, one on your basses you will keep for sure, trying the other on each way of the same enclosure to see how it sound in medium and treble ?

Crossing the tweeter higher reduces the power requirement a lot. Some tests I have made on some modern over compressed and clipped cds have found that at only 2KHz the amplifier has to swing as much as the LF amplifiers.
That is fore sure. Reason why i prefer horns for medium and trebles, 12db of more efficiency divide the electric power by 16. .I chose my amps for they can deliver the same acoustic level whatever the frequency. On some of my best mixes the sampled 1/3oct peak levels of a tune were near flat from 40 to 10000hz.

Last edited:
thank god 95% of my cd´s are before 1992 , my ideia was something like 200w for bass , the ca740a (150w)+pre for mid + and class a tube amp for tweets. i´ll be using tweters 10-15w rms not that much power needed
It was before 1992;-) and a nightmare for the vinyl mastering guy. Peak levels on fast transients.
That why the RIAA curve was done for vinyl.
Drums 's cymbals can generate some kind of HF energy ;-)
Tube amps can handle such peak levels, even with a low RMS power ability.

Last edited:
i have to amps : cambridge audio 740a and arcam delta 290 , the other 2 tube amps i will buy.

i was wondering last night and came up with this configuration , tell me what you think:
Cd player/PC -> minidigi->minidsp -> (bass)tubepre->CA740A 4 woofers
->arcam D290 4 woofers

minisdsp-> (mids) tube amp 4 - 5" mids

minidsp -> (highs) tube amp 4 - 1" tweeters

minidsp - > (sub) 2 active subs - 1 for channel

all speakers 8 ohm

since i have 2 sets of speakers cant i use each amp for each set ? they have similar gain , i already doing this but running full range and they sound good.The tube amps i´m considering have twice the power needed for the mids and tweets
I have not understood your 'two sets'. Did-you mean you will use two different pairs of loudspeakers together for subs ? As long as you output the signal for the subs in mono, you can use each pair in parallel with D amps a very easily: A lot of class D amps support a 2 ohms charge.
Will-you make yourself your own amps ?

Oh boy, another one of these fine threads where the blind tries to lead the blind... :rolleyes:

I second ingenieus on that, Tube and Class D does not belong into the same sentence. :bullseye:

Not sure why people discuss the Class D efficiency when they plan to employ an anything but efficient Tube amplifier as well...

Oh boy, another one of these fine threads where the blind tries to lead the blind... :rolleyes:.
I don't know if i'm blind, but I'm sure of one thing is that YOU lack the most basic education.
For sure, my vision decline with age, but, as an electronic engineer, manager of the electro acoustic department of the most important French hifi company during the 70th, then manager of the most important rental 20 000 watts PA system in Paris, after, a 30 years international career as sound engineer for music, tv and movie business, and technical manager of several well known recording editing and mixing studios, i wonder who of us is the blind one and the most qualified and experienced?
And, please, before to write injurious sentences, try to lean, think, and justify with correct arguments your useless assertions.

Using a good class D amp or bass and low medium is nothing you can argue against. It present a lot of advantages at a very high end sound quality. Efficiency and good damping factor where you need the most power and control of moving coils. For hight medium, and treble, as it need less power, it is just a question of taste. (i never use any more Tube amps on my side). Here, smoothness, soft clipping, nice pair harmonics distortions and high dynamic of the tubes can present an advantage . And, may-be you will be surprised, but the sound of a good class D amp is, for sure, the nearest to the one of a Tube amp you can find between all other classes (A, AB) with solid state power transistors.

Regards
Chris.

Last edited:
I don't know if i'm blind, but I'm sure of one thing is that YOU lack the most basic education.
For sure, my vision decline with age, but, as an electronic engineer, manager of the electro acoustic department of the most important French hifi company during the 70th, then manager of the most important rental 20 000 watts PA system in Paris, after, a 30 years international career as sound engineer for music, tv and movie business, and technical manager of several well known recording editing and mixing studios, i wonder who of us is the blind one and the most qualified and experienced?
And, please, before to write injurious sentences, try to lean, think, and justify with correct arguments your useless assertions.

Using a good class D amp or bass and low medium is nothing you can argue against. It present a lot of advantages at a very high end sound quality. Efficiency and good damping factor where you need the most power and control of moving coils. For hight medium, and treble, as it need less power, it is just a question of taste. (i never use any more Tube amps on my side). Here, smoothness, soft clipping, nice pair harmonics distortions and high dynamic of the tubes can present an advantage . And, may-be you will be surprised, but the sound of a good class D amp is, for sure, the nearest to the one of a Tube amp you can find between all other classes (A, AB) with solid state power transistors.

Regards
Chris.

Chris,

yes, I am lacking basic education since I only have about 25 years of none management experience in this field and you are no doubt higher qualified here as managers always know better. :rolleyes:
I feel Class D amplifier are suffering too many issues when it comes to sound quality. They perform fine in subs and servos at lowest frequencies, but beyond that they do not match performance of a Class A, AB or tubes for that matter, so I am not arguing against that. Generally at higher frequencies the THD of Class D is easily a magnitude worse over that of Class A, AB.

No hard feelings, but I admit I am not a fan of Class D.

Cheers

Kay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.