Simple sub amp a 10-year old could build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

My son's little 2x40W Onkyo DR-645 stereo has a subwoofer output (full range, mono, post vol control), and he has expressed an interest in building a little amplifier and sub.

I've built a couple of gainclones, but power opamps hide the details.

Can anyone suggest a simple, discrete circuit we could build together?

Something simple enough to wire point to point would be great.

Any suggestions appreciated,
S

How much power do you want that sub amp to put out? My guess would be 80W, and such things are not so easy to do simple.

One way to keep a power amp simple is to use the LME49830. It does hide some of the functionality, but the circuit is simple enough to wire point to point. Not sure if this method of construction is a good idea, haven't tried it myself. The datasheet for the LME49830 has a PCB layout.

Even simpler is to use the LME49810/LME49811 with Thermaltrak transistors - therefore no Vbe multiplier needed. The easiest way to do that is to get one of these kits. Very serendipitously, it puts out 80W.

IMGP2882.JPG

http://www.pansonaudio.com/Compact_Series.htm

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with these guys, but I like what they do. And they hang out on this forum AFAIK.

Attachments

• lme49830.jpeg
    lme49830.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 633
Last edited:
I've built a couple of gainclones, but power opamps hide the details.

Can anyone suggest a simple, discrete circuit we could build together?

Something simple enough to wire point to point would be great.
Something of this kind:
2N3055 Power Amplifier
It's safe, proven and works well enough.

For a sub, increase the 1500µ output cap to 4700µ.

To simplify it further, you can replace the OP transistors+drivers by monolithic power darlingtons.

Or go for something really crude and nasty, like this one:
Cheap 100 to 150 Watt Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.