Headphone amp NE5532

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
Without splitting curly red hair the circuit in post 1 will output in the range of 0.125 watts into 32 ohms or 200 ohms for that matter, ample enough to damage your hearing. Worth building!
My preference for the real buffer is the near 0 output impedance.
DT
All just for fun!

Here is the schematic for the current dumping headphone amp that was design by my late friend Barry Porter. The only problem is sourcing the choke L1 which only has the RS part No.238-255.

Untitled.gif

PCB layout.

PhoneampLayout.gif

I have used it with various headphones and it has worked well with Audio-Technica, Sennheiser & Beyerdynamic.

I've simmed "current dumping" to try to understand more of its capability, limitations

the power combiner is a AC Bridge that needs trimming to get good performance - you have to match L/R, RC time constants, compensate for L dcr - requires 'scope and distortion measurement - won't "just happen" with standard RS parts

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...r-requirements-class-c-ab2-4.html#post2388517 the sim still works - I have to ask LT about the missing output comp pin on LT1028

Class A buffer in the op amp feedback loop is much simpler to get to work, should give better results even when current dumping is optimally trimmed

Current dumping works quite a bit better if you don’t have the deadzone in the power amp – a little bias helps a lot

Attachments

• dumper.png
    dumper.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 725
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.