Help for repair my KSA 100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It can't be that difficult to draw a schematic from the board you have. For that matter if you post hi-res pics of both sides of the boad many here will no doubt be pleased to draw a schematic.

I don`t have the board - I just got pictures.
Here the backside of the board. This pictures are reduced in size otherwise they would be too big to post here - so the originals are much better in resolution.
To draw a complete schematic with values not only the transistor types are needed but also the values for the resistors and I fear that maybe this is asked too much from Alex - taken in account that he don`t know very much about electronics.

Newark Electronic sales Dale, Vishays, However RCD resistors are as good if not better. http://www.rcd-comp.com/
Hmm.... though not impossible to order, US is not only a little far away but also regarding Alex`s abilities in English maybe this is not the the best option. :(

Can`t somebody comment on those MPC`s resistors??
http://www.schuro.de/preisl-mpc71.htm
or here a description in English:
http://www.htr-india.com/products/currentsense/ceramic/br/new.htm

They are used in other high-end audio equipment as well
(refer to "Special technical features"):
http://www.mbl-hifi.com/news/product_news_01_en.htm

or this kind (manganin) should be also suitable:
http://www.schuro.de/preisl-manganinwid.htm

Attachments

• k_krell detail 51_driver_back.jpg
    k_krell detail 51_driver_back.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 803
Re: purchasing parts from Newark

jewilson said:
Resistors

You can purchase Dale resistors at Newark's web site, only reading english is required.

Hi ,
DON'T order from Newark. They will charge you with absurd high shipping & handling costs that will not show up on the website but are on the bill in the package.
:att'n:
Dales are available also from www.thl.audio.com in Taiwan.

Actually I personally don't think it is worth repairing it, at least if really hearing whats in the music you like to listen to is what you are after. And esecially if you have to send it back to Krell for the repair. There is much better amplification available today for less money than it will cost to repair the KSA-100!!

I am a previous Krell owner: KSA-80B and KBL, and am now a Pass Labs fan. All I can say is that after running my home built Aleph 2's and Aleph P now for over 8 months you couldn't give me anything that Krell made or presently makes. The extremely simple Pass Labs design blows Krell right out of the water. Also I no longer need to leave all my stuff turned on for best sound quality. It only takes one hour to get there!

The KSA-100 chassis might be a good foundation for building an Aleph 4 and would probably cost you far less than having the Krell repaired, and possibly even less than just the shipping to and from Connecticut alone. My pair of Aleph 2's cost me around 700.00 U.S. to construct.

Mark

SO WHAT

Mark,

I this thread was dedicated to helping this fellow getting amp running not your opinion on amp sound quality. Weather the amp sound better or not is immaterial. A broken Krell amp is worth very little, however one that working on EBAY is worth much more than your home made Aleph 2's, that a fact Jack.

:rolleyes:

Jim W.
In reality the dollar value of an amp is meaningless. Based on where this guy is located his repair will cost far more than he'll ever get for it on E-bay. After all, this hobby is all about sound not how much money a particuluar amp costs to purchase, repair, or build. If one is after what is really in the music he will always be after something better....... Actually I bet that KSA 100 cost Krell less than 700.00 U.S. to produce when it was new!!

And here this guy has a hulker Krell that would make a nice foundation for an Aleph. Apparently you don't care to steer someone a better way. That is sad indeed. I do and always will. Also my opinions on Krell vs. Pass have been based on my own experience with both products, not just opinion or feelings.
Mark

I'm inclined to say that rebuilding an Aleph might be better...but since he wants to have it fixed..lets give this poor chap a break and help him fix it up will ya?? Try getting samples instead of buying new semiconductors...that way it would be cheaper...resistors can come later...just get the basic thing running first...that's what a cash-strapped teen like me always does...

I this thread was dedicated to helping this fellow getting amp running not your opinion on amp sound quality. Weather the amp sound better or not is immaterial. A broken Krell amp is worth very little, however one that working on EBAY is worth much more than your home made Aleph 2's, that a fact Jack.

Exactly my opinion too!

And here this guy has a hulker Krell that would make a nice foundation for an Aleph. Apparently you don't care to steer someone a better way. That is sad indeed. I do and always will. Also my opinions on Krell vs. Pass have been based on my own experience with both products, not just opinion or feelings.
Mark,

I do believe You that You didn`t mention this because You intended to spoil fun for Alex.
Instead to fix it, to take the chance and to convert this Krell into (likely) something "better" is probably what many others here who have the knockledge, the skills and the right tools would do also.
However, when You have followed this thread so far it can`t have slipped Your attention that Alex unfortunately simply isn`t in the situation to do this at all. He has no electronic know-how or practical experience at all.
He can be just lucky to get the right advise here and together with his "electrician" hopefully to get this amp running stable again and for him it`s far better to have an old but working Krell than nothing.

Try getting samples instead of buying new semiconductors...that way it would be cheaper...resistors can come later...just get the basic thing running first...that's what a cash-strapped teen like me always does...
Hi li_gangyi,

às far I understand from what he said when Alex called me it`s not about money in the first place. He just don`t want to spend the amount of money what Krell likely would charge him to get it running again.
I don`t know exactly how much the semiconductors will cost but I guess all together it shouldn`t be more than maybe Euro 100 for 16 power transistors and 16 low inductance power resistors.
So getting free sample transistors to spare some money is a nice idea but that`s not the main problem in this case.
What he needs most (IMO) is advise on suitable transistor types and 2 matched sets of those repectively some simple instructions for his fellow on how to match them.

Maybe he should start with a little turorial first?? Short of that...we should invite his electrician guy to join DIYAudio...
Good idea! If I remember okay his fellow (the electrician) is out of the country for about 2 weeks at the moment.
Anyway, I`ll suggest this to Alex (might be he doesn`t understand well what`s said here - I don`t know).
Hope his fellow speaks English - it would help to simplify things a lot. :nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.