List of the best sounding amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I was about 5 years old I helped my dad build Harman Kardon Citation1 and Citation2 kits. I'm 58 years old now but those original KT88's still sound pretty good today with their original caps. We also have an extra brand-new (non-kit) preamp in the box which has never been turned on...saving it for the potentiometers and face-plate etc. Belongs in a museum. Would sure look good with a big CROWN half-track reel-to-reel of the era.

So many of these "best" amps are from companies that are long gone or the name of the company was gobbled up and now lives on in name only as example Macintosh. Would one aspect of a choice be an amplifier which has lasted the long road along with a company lasting that long road such as Spectral? There are several of these long lived companies which have not been purchased for their name and still represent "great" amplifiers not listed in this thread.

There is always that allure of products made of unobtainium from the past. Legends yes, good... so many not really so like any Phase Linear was unlistenable to me as were the incredibly bright Carvers'.

Around $500.

Then I can recase it in a fancier box and sell it for $5000.
Ofc I'll forget to mention what's actually on the inside, but then the case will cost more than the original and be sexier.
Not to mention that I'll have to be paid (around $4000) for the elaborate work of recasing and, most importantly, the fact that I know the $500 amp Goldmund makes sounds better than the $2500 Silvermund counterpart.

Do you re-case the amp so that you will be regarded as a nice non-greedy seller, or simply to have more profit? Or do you think that whatever it is that you do (re-casing or sell it as is or damage your brand by selling cheap product or by selling it at non-exclusive price) it will always have an effect to the profit and loss? Also, who cares with the opinions of the non-potential buyers? :headshot:

Knowledge learns that a +€10K CD player doesn't last that long with a transport mechanism that carries an MSRP which is way less than the entire CD player of -€200 it comes in, despite how it 'sounds'.

The reason I have an Eindhoven Pro mechanism of +€200 bare in my CD transport, also 'modified' , but by someone i've met for the first time a quarter of a century ago.

Yes, those mechanisms suck. I use old laser disc players (with CD tray) so the mechanism/optic can last longer. Sometimes the upgrade is fun. Only the look and size requires tedious upgrade.

Of course it is nice if the bigger industry players are willing to produce better mechanism. But this is business, not charity. If a CD player with better mechanism will induce better overall profit then we will see more of them.

Sellers will always listen to the sound of customers, even if the customers will always want to buy at the lowest price. But seller also want to sell at the highest price, and customers never care about that. If a seller sell an expensive product at a very unreasonable low price, the customer will want to pay and leave as quickly as possible. It is true that there are suckers everywhere, rich or poor. The difference is that one is a fortunate sucker, the other one is an unfortunate sucker :headshot:

Both CD transport and DAC do less dollars together than a Goldmund Eidos CD, and i can chunk the DAC at any time for something better, but keep the transport rolling for at least a decade longer.

Sounds like a potential business opportunity. Goldmund will probably experience a huge decrease in their market share because of this :headshot:

Do you re-case the amp so that you will be regarded as a nice non-greedy seller, or simply to have more profit?

Profit? Please, I'm doing a service to the HiEnd community!
I'm barely managing to make ends meet with such low prices! :p

Hey, it's not my fault Pioneer don't know how to price their products! I guess their marketing/accounting departments need to learn a few stuff from the respective "departments" of the HiEnd companies (many of which have 5-10 people in their staff, so it's a miracle how they can be so expertly trained at everything, including marketing, management etc.).

Or do you think that whatever it is that you do (re-casing or sell it as is or damage your brand by selling cheap product or by selling it at non-exclusive price) it will always have an effect to the profit and loss? Also, who cares with the opinions of the non-potential buyers? :headshot:

You are right.
With these profit margins I have the luxury to ignore the market/potential customers/basically everyone on the planet just as long as I have a couple of couple of people who will buy my stuff.
This is nothing like the stuff they taught us at business school, but I guess it's another indicator of how "healthy" a business model this is... ;)

Last edited:
Someone have more info on the Technical Brain TBP-Zero amp. Its regarded as another of the significant amplifiers of all times and as being an even better amp than the soulution ones. "Its excellent performance is due to the elimination of emitter resitors and is also patented according to articles.

I havent been able to locate any patents attributed to its designer in this respect in either EU, US or Japan itself. Anyone have more info ??

I've read about that one.
Seems it does break down VERY frequently and then it has to be sent to Japan to fix it.

High Resolution Incarnate: Technical Brain Electronics | AVguide

TBP zero:
Non-servo complete DC amplifier using carefully selected components and materials
No group delay from DC to 100kHz
Painstaking arrangement of components and wiring for the elimination of unwanted vibratio
Frequency response: DC to 100kHz (± 0.2dB at 1W)
Circuitry: Fully balanced (BTL)
Power transistor: Bipolar transistor

Their burned resistors may be zobel, then it gets oscillation with burned/disconnected zobel resistor.
I have this zobel problem in one of my fast amp in the past.

Or they were lucky ? :clown:

Most veteran musicians i know/met are deaf as a bat.
My +40 year in the pro biz cousin learned to hear himself again a couple of years ago, don't know the details. At an aunt's funeral meeting last monday he said he had one year to go till retirement, still seemed deaf as a bat to me.

Its very subjective, what sounds good to me could be rubbish to someone else.

I have designed class AB, D and chip amps and cant tell the difference !
So high priced gear is wasted on me.

Means you're deaf.

:D Nigelwright, you may not be able to hear the different easily (tho I doubt it) but it doesn't mean they will perform the same in the long run. For example, you may consciously prefer one over another, dispose one amp and listen more the other amp. Or, you may find that you listen more hours with one amp and be bored easily with the other.

It is just about how fast you will recognize the difference and know how it will affect you. This is difficult because you have to also "recognize" (be familiar with) the other parts of the audio chain, especially speaker.

With good speaker, you will have less difficulty choosing a good amp, BUT a good speaker seems cannot fixed the problem with fatigue introduced by an amp!!!

From Best to Priceless.

William Crable said:
Blah blah blah .... (long story).
I went to lawyers in Japan. I had no case (difficult for an American in Japan anyway). I have since sold off most the Japan equipment for 15 cent on the dollar (come to find out people over here don’t like him either) I have full sets off Technical Brain equipment which I would happy to sell at very very low prices (with no guarantee!) I hope this story helps someone else not make the same mistakes I have. Me, I laugh it off and continue search for the best sound, I’ll just be more careful of the audio charlatans from now on.
source:High-End Audio in Japan, Part Four: Solid-State from Technical Brain | AVguide
Someone selling it very very low prices.

Most veteran musicians i know/met are deaf as a bat.
My +40 year in the pro biz cousin learned to hear himself again a couple of years ago, don't know the details. At an aunt's funeral meeting last monday he said he had one year to go till retirement, still seemed deaf as a bat to me.
They too much heard something too loud, and also slept with no quiet night.

Last edited:
Are the statements below believable? At high quality level, I doubt that an amp alone could affect sound so much, or, in other words, LP or CD must provide order of magnitude better resolved sound than Soulution 700. Very hardly believable.

"Usually, in the upper reaches of high-end audio, components are rather closely matched in most key respects, and differences tend to be ones of nuance or balance or power delivery (particularly in the bass octaves). For instance, although they don't sound much alike, my reference Soulution 700 monoblocks and BAabo BP-1 Mk-II stereo amp are roughly equivalent in resolution. Not so the Technical Brain TBP Zero v2. It isn't just a little higher in resolution than these two previous standard-setters; it is an order of magnitude higher. Which is to say, you do not have to strain to hear the differences between it and them. It is obvious to anyone with ears that more detail of every kind is being reproduced more clearly by the Technical Brain. The audible difference is roughly equivalent to the visual difference between watching a movie on a well-mastered DVD and then switching to the same movie on a well-mastered Blu-ray disc. I know this is hard to believe--it was hard for me to believe that such a thing was possible given the already incredibly high resolution of the Soulution gear in particular. Nonetheless, it is the case."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.