Aura Ca-200 / Pa-200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

does anyone here know anything (and I mean anything!) about the Aura PA-200 power amp or its mate, the CA-200 preamp?

This is not the new "Aura - Made in Canada" trademark, but the Aura by B&W (discontinued).

I'd be happy for whatever anyone might know!

/cdl

Hi tbla,

I have aquired a single PA-200 "by mistake", that is, I wanted the CD-100 Cd player and the guy would only sell it in conjunction with the PA-200 and a former integrated which he used as a preamp (no good).

So now I am in the process of constructing a preamp to match... just wondering which league of preamp would match up to the PA-200; and what I should actually expect from the PA-200.

That's why I'm interested in reviews & in general opinions on the sound of it. It seems to be rather nicely built, and with my current preamp prototype, easily plays up to my old integrated. But having no reference, I really have no idea whether to expect 500$ or 2500$ sound from it....

In short - I'm trying to find out if it's time to look into loudspeaker upgrades, or if there still is room for improvement in the amp part of the chain (and what class of preamp to build!).

Cheers,

Carsten

P.S. When I first posted, I was also looking for some data (input sensitivity!) that I needed for preamp design, but a very friendly person has helped me with that now :D

P.P.S.: My setup is currently:
Aura CD-100
Preamp prototype, currently with AD8610
Aura PA-200
Dali 450

;) That's OK, Torben, thanks 4 your advice.

So you think it sucks... may I ask what exactly sucks? I mean - too boring, not transparent, no detail, no soundstage...? Just generally bad?

I have been thinking of modding it - there is a inaXXX opamp balanced reciever right at the input that I have considered removing as I will be driving it single-ended anyway... Haven't really decided whether I want to mess around with the insides all too much.

I think i'll keep it regardless of what; won't bring in that much money anymore anyhow, and could always get useful as a spare / HT / subwoofer power amp.

Fortunately, I didn't pay that much for it...

/cdl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.