Simple Symetrical Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LC, by the way, I haven't really established the ground setting. I'm thinking using the remaining big portion into ground plane by using jumper connection of wires. Which point should I take off from ? bottom center is a good choice ? (where junction of trafo & reservoir)
How will the 1uF paralleled would help ? (curiosity ~ !)
As for to filter ripples from supply rail, should I use a 1uF or 0.1uF cap ?

And how to determine the amount of bias for driver ?
Regards, Leong.

Hi guitar 89

I suggest you to use double "battery" pack power supply (separate +Vcc-00, -Vcc-0), GND meeting point on a PCB.

Driver's bias current usually set to class A regarding their output "drive" current to the next stage.
I'm using single transformer for 2 channel, so I suppose I have to branch out each lead into 2 for each channel ? If I were to meet both secondary's 0V to form ground, then how will be the further connection form the ground ?

About the bias, I assume class A range is the Driver's half maximum output ? Is it roughly 75mA for 100W, 25mA for 50W ? (just guessing the amount... how to calculate/estimate the driver's drive current)

Housekeeping added. Next step is mount to regular heatsink, test, then second channel:

Sheldon

Attachments

• SSA Simple Thermaltrak.JPG
    SSA Simple Thermaltrak.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 813
Last edited:
SSA BIGBT HP finished amplifier

I started this thread 9 months ago (how symbolic), continuing from here and today I finally made an amplifier that is finished, tested and auditioned to my friends.

It was a big pleasure making SSA BIGBT HP, learning process all the way, meeting new friends on the forum and continuing to develop new amps in TSSA thread.

Some pics from today's assembly and later music session in a system consisting of Clearaudio Ovation, MC Cartridge Stradivari V2, Nano Phono Preamp, Absoluta Talia stereo preamplifier, Magico V3 speakers, Ktema speakers.

Regards, Andrej ;)

Attachments

• SSA1.jpg
    SSA1.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 582
  • SSA2.jpg
    SSA2.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 528
  • SSA3.jpg
    SSA3.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 515
  • SSA6.jpg
    SSA6.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 314
  • SSA5.jpg
    SSA5.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 291
  • SSA4.jpg
    SSA4.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 489
  • SSA7.jpg
    SSA7.jpg
    589.3 KB · Views: 291
  • SSA8.jpg
    SSA8.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 279
  • SSA9.jpg
    SSA9.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 309
Superb design and craftsmanship! Wow!

BTW my latest iteration above, mounted on a proper heat sink is thermally well behaved. Driver bias goes quickly to 9.5mA, then over several seconds to about 11mA. Over the next few minutes it hits a maximum of about 12mA, then settles over the next few minutes back to about 11mA where it stays. DC offset changes a maximum of +/- 15mA, and settles within +/- 10mA. All quite acceptable.

Next is channel two, then plug it into the main system for a listen. Will probably take me a few weeks, between other things.

Sheldon

Superb design and craftsmanship! Wow!

BTW my latest iteration above, mounted on a proper heat sink is thermally well behaved. Driver bias goes quickly to 9.5mA, then over several seconds to about 11mA. Over the next few minutes it hits a maximum of about 12mA, then settles over the next few minutes back to about 11mA where it stays. DC offset changes a maximum of +/- 15mA, and settles within +/- 10mA. All quite acceptable.

Next is channel two, then plug it into the main system for a listen. Will probably take me a few weeks, between other things.

Sheldon

Thanks Sheldon :)

You see, SSA beast can be thermally tamed, now it's like a pat. :whip:

DC offset is OK, no need for servo at all. :up:

Just take it slowly, in that way you have firm control, plus no stress. :cool:

In the SSA - TSSA - Music Veritas

I started this thread 9 months ago (how symbolic), continuing from here and today I finally made an amplifier that is finished, tested and auditioned to my friends.

It was a big pleasure making SSA BIGBT HP, learning process all the way, meeting new friends on the forum and continuing to develop new amps in TSSA thread.

Some pics from today's assembly and later music session in a system consisting of Clearaudio Ovation, MC Cartridge Stradivari V2, Nano Phono Preamp, Absoluta Talia stereo preamplifier, Magico V3 speakers, Ktema speakers.

Regards, Andrej ;)

:worship: :king: Andrej :king: :worship:

My SINCERE CONGRATULATION to Yours Great Success :cheerful: in making Yours SSA AMP :violin::note::note:
such an Outstanding Performer while singing with (my faw. LP) - Vinyls.
Congrats to Yours fine assort. of the equipments selection You have.
I just imagine how You and the Yours friends were nice Touched with Pure & Pleasant :note::note::note:
of Rich SOUND to all Souls being there.... :cloud9:

:worship:I wish You all the nicest music enjoyment in the future . . . :worship:

:cheers:

:worship: :king: Andrej :king: :worship:

My SINCERE CONGRATULATION to Yours Great Success :cheerful: in making Yours SSA AMP :violin::note::note:
such an Outstanding Performer while singing with (my faw. LP) - Vinyls.
Congrats to Yours fine assort. of the equipments selection You have.
I just imagine how You and the Yours friends were nice Touched with Pure & Pleasant :note::note::note:
of Rich SOUND to all Souls being there.... :cloud9:

:worship:I wish You all the nicest music enjoyment in the future . . . :worship:

:cheers:

Thanks for good wishes Smiley :)

Yes, all the way analog chain was the best performer in given system. Vinyl with analog recording material still holds the magic in music reproduction. :yes:

Thanks for good wishes Smiley :)

Yes, all the way analog chain was the best performer in given system. Vinyl with analog recording material still holds the magic in music reproduction. :yes:

Somehow analogue most often sounds like music and can give a lot more emotional fulfilment than can processed digital signal .:) The technical argument that digital source is more accurate does not hold water for me as it all too often cannot reproduce that magic which analogue so often does produce! This differential, for me at least, makes me very suspicious that the present state of art measuring instruments are usually measuring the wrong parameters.;)

Well done!!:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.