Simple Symetrical Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SSA Soft Start power-on sequence waveform

Bravo sonnya :up:

Plot represent mains AC current waveform as voltage drop on 1,00 ohm resistor (1 V on plot equals 1 A) as function of NTC soft-start circuit power-on sequence. After 0,68 s delay, relay contacts shorts the NTC and there's still 3 A current peak to fully charge elco bank of both (stereo) SSA channels. ;)

Here's plot with values. :cool:

P.S. Serial NTC is CL-90 from GE. First power-on relay switch is dealing with some 2 Ap and second delay-on relay switch with some 3 Ap which is quite optimal for turning on two 400 VA toroidial transformers and some 90.000 uF of all elcos in power supply. :)

Attachments

• PLOT ALL VALUES.JPG
    PLOT ALL VALUES.JPG
    627 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
Yeah cool thinking :D

Well listening tests with simultaneous measuring check-ups is what's happening. SSA has now something like 20 hours of music burn-in time and I admit that now in stereo setup this is one of the greatest amp I ever experienced. Resolution and transparency is spooky, still presented in organic full spectrum sound. Low part of the spectrum is amazing, how amp effortlessly drives bass notes is simply astonishing. That's enough of words but every one of them is pure truth. :nod:

Last edited:
I think it is time that we in europe starts constructing something new and innovative like this amp, The FETzilla.

Most amps you find on the market or in this forum are mostly ripoffs of old RCA, krell, Mark xxx, Pass constructions....

Only on the CLASS D there is happening some innovation..

The most active designer around as i see it is Holton from Aussie amplifier

I think it is time that we in europe starts constructing something new and innovative like this amp, The FETzilla.

Most amps you find on the market or in this forum are mostly ripoffs of old RCA, krell, Mark xxx, Pass constructions....

Only on the CLASS D there is happening some innovation..

The most active designer around as i see it is Holton from Aussie amplifier

I guess you've been sponsored by Aussie amplifiers... :rolleyes:

Ripoff or not, it is the diy world. people want to learn and experience. And btw, Pass is supporting diy efforts.

However, true, the FetZilla is really good and I have built it along with many "ripoff" amplifiers that sound extremely good!

Good thing I'm in America! ;)

Do

SSA all BJT and Thermal trak

The SSA employs a cascode which acts as CS. This CS can possibly not charge discharge the gate source capacitance of the MOS fast enough, moreover,
all paraistic capacitances of MOS depend highly non linear on gate source voltage and so on, and according to semiconductor physics, must be different for p channel MOS.
I would like the SSA all BJT and current driven throughout because power BJTs can have a perfectly linear ic/ib up to about 5 amps that is enough for 50 watts amp.
I will use one pair of thermal trak BJTs and thus the first design obstacle is how to control a Vbe multiplier with these on subtstate diodes thus that the operating point is independent of the junction temp of the power BJTs.
Remeber there are TWO diodes not four.
Ana ideas?
Thx
Hans Dieter

I guess you've been sponsored by Aussie amplifiers... :rolleyes:

Ripoff or not, it is the diy world. people want to learn and experience. And btw, Pass is supporting diy efforts.

However, true, the FetZilla is really good and I have built it along with many "ripoff" amplifiers that sound extremely good!

Good thing I'm in America! ;)

Do

Just for the record: I do not have a relation to Anthony, nor have i bought his kits.

But you must admit that he put out more new deisgn per year than most other companies!?

I am fully aware that Nelson is supporting the DIY crowd with a lot designs.

And i can see that you have build the Differenitial poweramp from AMB laborities. He does also contribute with a lot of designs.

Aksa has his own design too.

But besides from that?

I was just tired of seeing all the same design over and over again that have been out there for 5 - 15 years. That was all it was about. And it was refreshing that there have been new designs from the scratch in this forum.

The SSA employs a cascode which acts as CS. This CS can possibly not charge discharge the gate source capacitance of the MOS fast enough, moreover,
all paraistic capacitances of MOS depend highly non linear on gate source voltage and so on, and according to semiconductor physics, must be different for p channel MOS.

Hi Hans ;)

SSA BIGBT HP is very fast design it has -3 dB CLG margin around 3 MHz and slew rate more than 300 V/us and that info is for ready made amp in the box, if you know what that means.

In SSA BIGBT HP predriver/VAS stage has 10 mA bias and current response up to 100 mA with ease, so driving two IRF gate's is a peace of cake.

IRF's drivers are vertical MOS FET intended for fast switching applications and in BIGBT configuration they are perfectly suitable for audio purpose. This is probably the best output device to my opinion and it's really a shame that more of DIY-ers don't test and use them because they are inherently stable, very imune to self oscillations, easy to drive, has enourmous current capability (30 A) and has positive characteristics from both common emmiter/collector output configuration in one device ("balanced"). :cool:

But besides from that?

I was just tired of seeing all the same design over and over again that have been out there for 5 - 15 years. That was all it was about. And it was refreshing that there have been new designs from the scratch in this forum.

I'm sorry but I think the SSA BIGBT HP is not really all the same design like they are circulating around there copying each other. Apologies in advance if I didn't fully understand your statement. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.