Simple Symetrical Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So Bryan if there is a beauty in simplicity, here's the simplest SSA version of them all just for you. ;)

The simplest amp is a single ended single transistor amp, but the power is too low. How about simple SSA to give close to 50W. My preferred circuit is the combination between this simplest SSA with the basic SSA MOSFET you posted earlier. Something like this (if possible, but why not):

EDIT: another driver stage can be added if the above is not optimum.

Attachments

• SSA Amp Basic MOS_trial.JPG
    SSA Amp Basic MOS_trial.JPG
    332.2 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:
Hi Jay

Yes, MiiB has the point here but if you still insist to omit cascodes than you shoud do it in a right manner.

Input pair without cascodes will of course work if you'll choose low noise, high Vce (65 V or more) transistors like BC546B/BC556B, 2SA970/2SC2240 or similar.

No input cascodes also mean higher power dissipation on input pair so no more than 2 mA collector bias current is recommendable (Rc 330 ohm).

Instead of 820 ohm resistor I suggest you to use simple Vbe multiplier completely installed on a PCB to act as adjustable zener only. It will provide you more stable output DC bias conditions as being independent to VAS thermal bias fluctuations.

Otherwise this version will work nicely also with lower rails potential like +/- 35 V and will easily give you 50 Wrms/8 ohms, since 28,28 Vp is exactly the figure you need for that kind of output power. ;)

Last edited:
I concider the input and cascode as one device, one better device, I would put them back in...
Better in term of measured performance, right? What is the best possible measured performance without adding the cascode?

TO-92 is fine for the cascode but in the schematic posted by LC lately it was BF470. Without it, if ever possible (acceptable measured performance/stability), it will sound better I believe.

and I would add a jfet as a current scouce in the vas stage to revent thermal current drift

What kind of current source? The one suggested by Salas? Can't it be made stable without adding the extra fet (coz it looks strange hehe)? How about using TO-3, big heatsink (or even use of fan), PTP wiring, or Vgs multiplier in the bias circuit?

BTW, how about your SSA MOSFET with 60V rail, are they safe? I have just lost 4 pairs laterals already :D

Hi Jay

Yes, MiiB has the point here but if you still insist to omit cascodes than you shoud do it in a right manner.

Input pair without cascodes will of course work if you'll choose low noise, high Vce (65 V or more) transistors like BC546B/BC556B, 2SA970/2SC2240 or similar.

No input cascodes also mean higher power dissipation on input pair so no more than 2 mA collector bias current is recommendable (Rc 330 ohm).

Instead of 820 ohm resistor I suggest you to use simple Vbe multiplier completely installed on a PCB to act as adjustable zener only. It will provide you more stable output DC bias conditions as being independent to VAS thermal bias fluctuations.

Otherwise this version will work nicely also with lower rails potential like +/- 35 V and will easily give you 50 Wrms/8 ohms, since 28,28 Vp is exactly the figure you need for that kind of output power. ;)

Thanks LC, I will try to figure it out.

For the worse noise rejection without the cascode, my plan was to use regulated supply for the front end including the driver (so only the laterals use classic supply). This way, the FET regulator may be compared with simple RC filters.

The higher voltage was not primary for power. I just think the mosfet will need them.

The thing is that the drivers increase current when they and the input stage heat up...this can be avoided with the use of the jfet ccs ( as per suggested by salas)...then yuor laterals won't run away

I thought the FET solution was for stable offset as the lateral has negative thermal coefficient anyway. I believe you didn't mean thermal runaway.

How about small fan (I have 3x3cm) on top of the BJT drivers, with adjustable speed, or speed that change with temperature sensing as found in computer power supplies :D

Are you sure that it can give 50W@8R with 35V supply? What a good circuit! But which schematic? BTW, your simplest SSA is without the input cascode. Ruwe added one TO-92 cascode transistor to that. I can accept both circuits, but currently I'm looking for power (I'm building a big 3-way speaker).

What is the maximum power (and supply rail) can be had from both circuits? I believe the cascode will bring more benefit (or is it a must) when higher supply rail is used in such a simple circuit. I will use at least 46V rail (preferably more) and 2 output pairs. I expect at least 70W to replace my Goldmund clone (Mimesis 3) and I want to start with the simplest circuit, i.e. Ruwe version (because I believe the simplest SSA wont make it there).

I guess Ruwe circuit is not optimal but very potential soundwise. But if this circuit cannot give comparable power to Mimesis 3, I will start with my previous idea, or add another driver, i.e. Wahab's schematic without the input cascode.

Attachments

• Lazy Cat RuWe10.jpg
    Lazy Cat RuWe10.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 638
  • SSA_LATFET_MOD_Wahab.gif
    SSA_LATFET_MOD_Wahab.gif
    13 KB · Views: 587
Edit : (not familiar with zener)
The Zener diode within (between 1k resistor and ground), Is there any specification other than 12V ? like tolerance (well..lower is better), power dissipation, test current and maximum reverse leak current ?

.... Couldn't find any 0.22R with sufficient power rating..... highest I could found was 2.5W.
Should I stack them in parallel&series to achieve same resistant, or use other value (alter other value too ?)

Last edited:
I think this thread is getting too big, and harder to follow. May I suggest it is now split into the different variants, and discussion continue in each separately.
It would be nice to see a bill of materials for each variant, with alternatives, and even sources of components, but considering the whole world as being interested.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
May I suggest it is now split into the different variants, and discussion continue in each separately.

when you decide to start building, and focus on a specific design, a dedicated project thread would be a good idea;)

but at the present state, multiple threads could make it harder fore our good experts

though it could be a good idea if someone 'collected' all presented schematics in one file(attachment), keeping it updated might be harder :D

SSA Thermal Track Basic

LC,
When my Power supply is +/-40V, using this schematic http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/193923-simple-symetrical-amplifier-20.html#post2671820 and substituting transistor into BC550c/560c, BD139/140 & NJL4281/4302.
Is it necessary to change value of any other component or layout ?

The Zener diode within (

Hi guitar

You can find all requested info in attached schematic. This one has all capacitors and other features needed for real world realization. ;)

Attachments

• SSA Thermal Track Basic.jpg
    SSA Thermal Track Basic.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 853
I think it would be a good idea if we 'froze' the design mentioned in #1161, at least for those beginning with this SSA idea. That way, people with less ambitious projects (I include myself in that) could get started. A simple pcb would be invaluable, or a vero board design may be forthcoming.

Last edited:
You mean the whole SSA thread in general? :eek:

NO! just the design that you have just posted . I see this as perfect for the first time builder, or those who want 'simple' to start with (like me!)

I suggest a fresh thread be started, for just this design, then all subsequent questions/answers can be on that thread only, and only that design will be discussed.

kindest regards
Bryan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.