Simple Symetrical Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ARGGGG double side pcb board....a pity to etch at house....so it seems that i need to spend many time on eagle for sigle side way.... with more room needed. LC i suppose that BIGBT HP in lowaer rail voltage count same parts number as your hightest version...only value changing inside????

Marc

Note : NJL4302DG arrived today so yet i have 5 couples NJL4281DG/4302DG for SSA_TT_35V

I am sorry for that my PCB version is inappropriate for you, but it is mine version and suited strictly to my needs and expectations. Schematic of it was published, so anyone can design a PCB exactly to his own taste, you're welcome too.
Yes, only the values will be recalculated later on. ;)

It is only a suggestion. Move the el-caps a bit away and place polyprop caps close instead.

... place polyprop caps close instead. :grouphug:

Cannot do closer than 3 mm from rails split to the outputs. :cool:

El-caps does not go higher than a few hundred kilohertz. The film caps stretches to around a few megahertz.

mhhmm ... I wonder mhmm ... and mica to few hundreds ... mhmmm thanks anyway :radar:

It is only a suggestion. Move the el-caps a bit away and place polyprop caps close instead.

El-caps does not go higher than a few hundred kilohertz. The film caps stretches to around a few megahertz.

Hugh found same thing on one of his amplifiers.

The big electro's can be some distance away. In my first amplifier I placed them all in the chasis and none on the amplifier board. With short distance wiring this works just fine. It keeps them away from the heat of the power devices too not to mention less mechanical stress if they aren't hanging sideways off a board.

I am sorry for that my PCB version is inappropriate for you, but it is mine version and suited strictly to my needs and expectations. Schematic of it was published, so anyone can design a PCB exactly to his own taste, you're welcome too.
Yes, only the values will be recalculated later on. ;)

Don't be sorry. The value recalculation to my 50/60V rail is more than i can askinng from you. As i am not able on electronic amp design....pcb board making, internal and external architecture/design is the way i made a DIY project mine. Than if some provide a fonctionnal schematic with my requierement i am more than happy.

Marc

Edit : I just look what sort of standart Pcb board are available and could match with the goal. There is a 150x200mm; i will try to do with this.

Last edited:
... and the components layout is about 95% finished. Some minor changes will take place on the way by routing the traces. ;)

It is definitively not the PCB for the faint hearted DIY-ers. :D

Attachments

• SSA BIGBT HP PCB.jpg
    SSA BIGBT HP PCB.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 679
hey, looking great

hmm, I wonder if it also would be a good realiable bassguitar power amp

why 100V caps ?

It could be very fine bassguitar amp driving bass cone directly (active filter), freq response is from DC up to MHz :)

I prepare the space for 80 V elcos, this is only typo, because 100 V has bigger diameter.

Why 80 V elcos? Well this amp is intended to be also 100 W/20 ohm (my horn drivers impedance) so there you need higher supply voltage to get this power on ohm (+/- 70 V rails potential).

..... PCB ready, size 170 mm X 120 mm , but not symetrical layout :)
Alex.

Hehehe Alex I knew you will made it. Very nice layout very similar to mine expectations. At this point it is the best solution for this kind of SSA version.

Regarding my PCB design I can tell you that after some years in a garage my "PCB train" already left the station and the trains are very hard to stop when started ... :wave:

as an experienced project manager of instrumentation design (medical), I believe it is important, at some stage, to 'freeze' the design process, and build the thing. I think this is the time for this design. Bit of advice, don't make too many big steps!!!
It seems to have evolved from a very interesting, simple and innovative design into a monster.
regards
Bryan

ref nichrome et al as power resistors: I believe that wirewound resistors use nichrome and constantin wire, and have done so for a considerable time.

Last edited:
I believe it is important, at some stage, to 'freeze' the design process, and build the thing. I think this is the time for this design. Bit of advice, don't make too many big steps!!!
It seems to have evolved from a very interesting, simple and innovative design into a monster.

Yeah so it seems. And I still have a doubt on the IGBT output stage. It is not yet "proven". Usually is good on first impression. But for long time enjoyment, I'm not convinced. Visually I still prefer the TGM5 with its proven output stage. But I'm still faithfully waiting for high performance version of lateral FET SSA :D

@cat squirrel

SSA evolved from simple nice sounding amp to a normal 16 BJT-s per channel unit. I see it more like universal now than monsterous creature. Mine quest is freezed for now with SSA BIGBT HP. :cloud9:

@Jay

If anything here is 100% tested than it would be BIGBT. I will publish some pics of my amp called StereoLith from 2003, where I implemented BIGBT-s in a large scale. It works perfectly since the day it was born. :wiz:

Lazycat
the big attraction for me was the simplicity and low transistor count/cost, and that a pcb may be forthcoming. Obviously something a beginner could make without too much effort and cash outlay. The fact that the design can be used to fulfill many people's needs/wants is testament to a good design, but it would have been nice to start out with the simple design, tested, before going for a full blown monster.

To me, as a simple music lover, I like so many things about your design, and will only need a little change to fit my ideas of a medium power monobloc, and I may post these in time, but I am in the middle of moving house at the moment, and I haven't the time.

To me, a good design is 93-95% there, first time around (however that can be measured) and I believe your design is within this philosophy.
:cheers:
Bryan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.