Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 92 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2011, 05:56 AM   #911
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

MY SSA config on vero.

LC, like it?

p.s. left channel doesn't show the jumpers, but they will be added. they supply the 10ohm resistors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07492.JPG (143.0 KB, 819 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07493.JPG (168.2 KB, 793 views)

Last edited by shaan; 25th September 2011 at 05:59 AM. Reason: jumper
Old 25th September 2011, 06:28 AM   #912
diyAudio Member

Yes Shaan I like it a lot, very nice layout on vero board, almost as it would be the real PCB. I'm sure the real one wouldn't differ much from this layout cause components are at just the right positions.

Now I know you are very experienced DIY builder, I also saw your previous amps on vero boards, you have the knowledge and skills, so I think this one would be a piece of cake to make the music play. Also if there will be some issues we will find the way out easily. In the mean time bigun started to sim his TGM5 amp and came out with thermal stability solution for Vbe multiplier which can also be used here if needed. So be confident and go on, others will be here to watch and share the pleasure. Regards, Andrej
Old 25th September 2011, 07:19 AM   #913
diyAudio Member

Exclamation SSA BIGBT Basic Voltages

Here is SSA BIGBT Basic schematic equiped with orientational voltages for troubleshooting purposes.

Lucky troubleshooting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSA BIGBT BASIC 1.1 Voltages.jpg (602.2 KB, 833 views)
Old 25th September 2011, 08:02 AM   #914
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
Here is SSA BIGBT Basic schematic equiped with orientational voltages for troubleshooting purposes.

Lucky troubleshooting.
Thanks Lazy this will help
Old 25th September 2011, 02:54 PM   #915
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to smartx21 Send a message via Skype™ to smartx21
Shaan, I enjoy your approach to reinforce heat sinking with those front small sinks!

Last edited by smartx21; 25th September 2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 25th September 2011, 07:39 PM   #916
diyAudio Member

Exclamation SSA BIGBT Basic Voltages

Quote:

Lucky troubleshooting.
I was asked to publish also the original schematic with marked voltage points for 24V AC supply and here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSA BIGBT BASIC 1.1 Voltages.jpg (612.4 KB, 695 views)
Old 26th September 2011, 02:22 AM   #917
gannaji is online now gannaji  India
diyAudio Member

Dear shaan,
Those Heatsinks look nice! Are they available anywhere in India? Can you give me the source in India for the Semiconductors also?
--gannaji
Old 26th September 2011, 04:54 AM   #918
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes Shaan I like it a lot, very nice layout on vero board, almost as it would be the real PCB. I'm sure the real one wouldn't differ much from this layout cause components are at just the right positions.

Now I know you are very experienced DIY builder, I also saw your previous amps on vero boards, you have the knowledge and skills, so I think this one would be a piece of cake to make the music play. Also if there will be some issues we will find the way out easily. In the mean time bigun started to sim his TGM5 amp and came out with thermal stability solution for Vbe multiplier which can also be used here if needed. So be confident and go on, others will be here to watch and share the pleasure. Regards, Andrej
Thanks for the kind words LC. I hope my SSA will run without any problems; it's finished and ready to be tested. The only concern I have is the 2k2 pot, which is not multiturn and I could not find a MT pot here. So, maybe, I'll need a servo after all... or maybe not, depending on the pot's influence on the offset.

Thanks for visiting my vero-thread, if you have some old vero designs in archive please post them there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartx21 View Post
Shaan, I enjoy your approach to reinforce heat sinking with those front small sinks!
Thanks. The idea came to me from Rod Eliott. Twice the effect with half the holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gannaji View Post
Dear shaan,
Those Heatsinks look nice! Are they available anywhere in India? Can you give me the source in India for the Semiconductors also?
--gannaji
I found them in Kolkata chandni market; the old/used equipment sellers lane, for one-fifth the retail price! These are AMD cpu heatsinks and they can dissipate 100watts with medium air flow. I plan to use them in SSA with a thermo-fan control for the fans.

All the semiconductors used in SSA are available at Nahar Electronics in Chandni market Kolkata. They are very mature suppliers and everydbody knows their shop location, ask anyone in chandni and you'll get there.

Last edited by shaan; 26th September 2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 26th September 2011, 10:49 AM   #919
diyAudio Member

People, I'm about to test it right now. Wish me good.

LC, do we need thermal joint between the cascode transistors?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07497.JPG (203.2 KB, 938 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07498.JPG (131.7 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07500.JPG (379.7 KB, 683 views)
Old 26th September 2011, 11:36 AM   #920
diyAudio Member

Nice built Shaan

No, cascode BJT's doesn't have to be thermally coupled because their hFE/temperature tracking won't change input collector current. As I see in the pic they are in correct position.

Be careful with start-up procedure minimum bias, fuses/current limiting resistors etc. Please connect output mosfets to PCB with shortest wires as possible.

Good Luck & Enjoy.

Hide this!Advertise here!