Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 395 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2013, 06:48 PM   #3941
PauloPT is offline PauloPT  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to PauloPT
For 7% Vin=35V, Vout should be 32.5V. Vout-Vin=2.5V . Is this right?
Old 11th February 2013, 07:02 PM   #3942
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PauloPT View Post
For 7% Vin=35V, Vout should be 32.5V. Vout-Vin=2.5V . Is this right?
Please, look at the data sheet of the power transistor, to know the Collector/emitter saturation voltage, and add 2-4V for regulation margin. Better, tune-it in real life as indicated.
Please, as it is really out of topic, do-it by yourself or ask somewhere else.
Old 11th February 2013, 07:32 PM   #3943
diyAudio Member

I apologize for the out of topic. I will look at the datasheets, thanks.
Old 13th February 2013, 07:25 PM   #3944
diyAudio Member

Default Oscillations

Hi,

This is on topic, I promise!

My 2SJ162/2SK1058 arrived in the mail today. They look pretty and sound good.
But I'm dealing with an oscillation problem. I don't have a scope and I use the AM radio trick. The amp is oscillating (broadcasting?) at the begining of the AM band. I ear a whistle. The cause seems to be a long input cable. I use a 5m cable to connect the audio output of the pc motherboard to the amplifier. I'm not using an input coupling cap. Raising the VAS compensation seems to have no beneficial effect. I went up to 68pF. Soldering 100nF polyester caps between rails and ground (hopping the high ESR of polyester would damp the oscillation) also has no effect. What seems to have some effect is raising the input filter. I replaced the 20pF cap by a 680pF and the whistle became weaker but still there. What seems to kill the oscillation is using the 680pF cap and shorting the rails cable (from reservoir caps to amp board) to a minimum. But I need longer rails wires. I can't have the capacitor bank on top of the amp board!
Can you please help me on killing the oscillation? Thank you.
Old 13th February 2013, 07:32 PM   #3945
diyAudio Member

Try a 3.3k resistor in series with the 20pF cap. Some amps like to oscillate with inductive input, and this will keep you from regressing the amp by trying to stabilize it with the miller compensation when that is not really the problem. Of course if it's not an input oscillation problem, this may not be the correct solution.
Old 13th February 2013, 09:23 PM   #3946
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
Try a 3.3k resistor in series with the 20pF cap. Some amps like to oscillate with inductive input, and this will keep you from regressing the amp by trying to stabilize it with the miller compensation when that is not really the problem. Of course if it's not an input oscillation problem, this may not be the correct solution.
I'm sorry Keantoken, it didn't work
I tried the 20pF in series with 3.3k and didn't make much of a diference.
I may have two issues at play: the lenght of the input cable (wich is really long) and the lenght of the power rails. If I disconnect the input cable the oscillation disappear. About the power rails: they are at bare minimum lenght. If I increase the lenght of the psu wires the oscillation gets worse.
I also tried a 1nF capacitor - which reduced the intensity of the whistle even further - but I don't want to lower the corner frequency of the input filter more.

Thanks any way for your help, keantoken.

Last edited by PauloPT; 13th February 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 13th February 2013, 09:31 PM   #3947
diyAudio Member

If you alter the root of the problem the oscillation frequency will change. So if you're just changing the strength then the problem could actually be your source oscillating. Or something else?
Old 13th February 2013, 09:33 PM   #3948
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
If you alter the root of the problem the oscillation frequency will change. So if you're just changing the strength then the problem could actually be your source oscillating. Or something else?
The source is fine. It doesn't oscillate with others amplifiers. The frequency also changed but I wasn't paying much attention to the dial on the radio.
It's not a single whistle. It's several whistles at different frequencies. The stronger is at the beggining of the band.
Old 13th February 2013, 10:36 PM   #3949
diyAudio Member

Please, provide the exact schematic you used.
Did-you have decoupling film capacitors of power rails aboard ?
Did you used no inductive resistances everywhere ?
Are your power fets right on the board ?
Old 14th February 2013, 05:09 AM   #3950
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Hi paulo. Check the followin.

Do vas trannies share a common heatsink? If yes then the metal must be grounded. Same goes if the FETs share a common hs or even use different hs per device. Is there a zobel at the output? Check if it's soldered correctly. Shorten the psu wire as much as possible. Are the onboard decouple caps as close as possible to the FETs. Are the FETs directly on the board? If not then 100ohm stoppers at both ends of gate wire. Are the caps parallel to the zeners okay? Is the input 1k+100pF RC filter correctly installed(first the 1k then the parallel 100pF and 10k to ground, right from the joined input bases)? Is your 5m signal cable well shielded, it may be acting as a highly sensitive antenna. Shorten the cable to half meter and see if it helps.

shaan

Hide this!Advertise here!