Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 376 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2013, 12:27 PM   #3751
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If you like class-D, I can't see a clear reason to look somewhere else. Class-D imo have strength and weakness. As long as you cannot see the weakness, all you have is the strength, an unbeatable strength.
But wait a minute... Unless you have lived for quite a long time with class-D, you need to be sure that you know what you want. Class-D amps have that impressive hello effect. First moments you hear it you will be impressed. The question is whether you will enjoy it in the long run.
Old 19th January 2013, 12:57 PM   #3752
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget minded View Post
and i get linked right back to this page. i'm starting to think noobs aren't welcome in these here parts.
hi.

Go to post 3403. Peeceebee waitin' 4 u.
Old 19th January 2013, 01:35 PM   #3753
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Class-D amps have that impressive hello effect. First moments you hear it you will be impressed. The question is whether you will enjoy it in the long run.
Remember the L.C. comments, comparing Nc400 with his own SSA:

"... can say firmly the amps are similar in a character and musical presentation in general. From there on subtle differences are noticable, some in a favour to NC400, some to SSA, have to be fair and honest. NC400 Class D modules are serious competitors to any existing linear amp not just to SSA, so let's wait and see what future will bring us."

With my personal tribute to L.C, his great talent as a designer, his great listening accuracy, and, most of all, his absolute honesty, witch is the key of his talent. I tend to prefer the natural fluidity of the SSA in extreme trebles, while the dynamic of the NC400 and some little details enhancements in the bass are hard to beat. Both of them are top of the art, and nothing like 'fatiguing' to be fear in the long run.
I believe SSA can beat the NC400 with great care around, like power supply stabilization with little paralleled caps and proper power wiring. A matter of microscopic details, reserved to washed DIYers.
Reason why i led Budget minded to Hypex, because he said he is a newbie and he wanted a ready to wire kit . I would not recommend SSA for a first time project.

Last edited by Esperado; 19th January 2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 19th January 2013, 02:25 PM   #3754
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Remember the L.C. comments, comparing Nc400 with his own SSA:

"... can say firmly the amps are similar in a character and musical presentation in general. From there on subtle differences are noticable, some in a favour to NC400, some to SSA, have to be fair and honest. NC400 Class D modules are serious competitors to any existing linear amp not just to SSA, so let's wait and see what future will bring us."

With my personal tribute to L.C, his great talent as a designer, his great listening accuracy
Honestly, when LC said he was going to compare SSA with NC400, I strongly believed that he would prefer NC400. Even now, I still think that he is not too honest saying no "winner" between the two.

Because I think I know what he hears and what he doesn't.

You know, his favorite BIGBT is not my favorite (listening to BIGBT is like listening to class-D. SSA BIGBT HP has been made to have the strength of a class-D amp, but I don't think it is there yet.). Even the cascaded VAS is not my cup of tea. Even the input cascode.

But let's call it taste or preference...
Old 19th January 2013, 04:06 PM   #3755
diyAudio Member

Quote:
But let's call it taste or preference...
Indeed. I don't know the sound of the SSA BIGBT, but my SSA give-me all i am looking for:
Speed, dynamic, respect of micro details and space between instruments. As it is easy to separate instruments, it do not bring listening fatigue to me and i find not obvious signature. Can-be very harsh with harsh records and my horns, very soft and fluent with soft and fluent recordings. That what i am asking for.
Some can prefer amps witch 'sound good', like tube amps.
Old 19th January 2013, 06:34 PM   #3756
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

My ssa sounds honest.

Well, like christophe says it is fast and transparent. And like jay says this may well be the amp of my taste only and there is no guarrantee that my friends will like it.

I therefore will do the wise job by not placing my bet on the sound of it. But hey, I say, if you like SSA sound then you deserve it.
Old 19th January 2013, 07:55 PM   #3757
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Honestly, when LC said he was going to compare SSA with NC400, I strongly believed that he would prefer NC400. Even now, I still think that he is not too honest saying no "winner" between the two.

Because I think I know what he hears and what he doesn't.
In the first place I bought NC400 to see where class D amps are nowadays and of course to compare it with SSA BIGBT.

At first I listened a lot to both and found a little more revealed details from NC400 but later (app. two moths) I played with VAS gain by omitting two 100 k VAS loading resistors, raise the gain to max and things starts to be much better than by NC400. SSA BIGBT is my best DIY amp so far but clearly that's going to change with CSA arrival.
Old 19th January 2013, 09:57 PM   #3758
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
raise the gain to max
Open loop gain ? Can-you provide your changes ?
Old 20th January 2013, 03:25 AM   #3759
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to EternaLightWith Send a message via Yahoo to EternaLightWith
I will build this one. (CSA) I wait with abated breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
In the first place I bought NC400 to see where class D amps are nowadays and of course to compare it with SSA BIGBT.

At first I listened a lot to both and found a little more revealed details from NC400 but later (app. two moths) I played with VAS gain by omitting two 100 k VAS loading resistors, raise the gain to max and things starts to be much better than by NC400. SSA BIGBT is my best DIY amp so far but clearly that's going to change with CSA arrival.
Old 20th January 2013, 09:21 AM   #3760
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Open loop gain ? Can-you provide your changes ?
VAS Re is 10 ohm, two 100 k GND loading resistors, determing VAS gain. After removing both 100 k, OLG raised. Cannot tell you the exact number as i didn't measure OLG before/after, but rough calculation shows 10-15 db more open loop gain.

Hide this!Advertise here!