Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 375 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 04:01 AM   #3741
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
must try one of those myself sometime
Old 18th January 2013, 04:16 AM   #3742
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Search for DestroyerX's threads!
You will feel as comfortable as being at home.
OK... will do
Quote:
Invalid User specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
Quote:
I think from what he says budget minded would prefer assembled & tested boards to which he can add a PSU & box etc - not sure what to recommend for this.
i'd prefer a completely built unit, but if there's a design that has adequate instructiions to build a design right and thatdoesn't assume i know a lot of "surprise" stuff like resistors are directional or all the in between steps hackers skip over in trying to solve a problem instead of covering EVERY single step instead of leaving me scratching my head as to where this missing "whatchamacallit button" is where the instructions leave me that isn't there, but hidden behind two more infuriating abstract layers that can't be figured out like where the missing piece in a mechanical device belongs.

what i want is a $500 amp that has acceptable high end sound that's neither lean and clinical, nor thick and lush... that just disappears like any good gear should. i keep running in circles where i think i find a giant killer like the benchmark DAC only to find "lavry is better than that, but paradesea is better than that, but minidac is betterthen that, but wait... minidac sucks because it's too thick and forgiving... and there i go back to square 1 pulling my hair out by the roots.

if i can get a world class amp for $500, i don't mind building it as long as i'm given EVERY piece of info needed to do it right, and don't need to buy that much in test equipment too to build it. i already have a soldering iron, a drill and basic tool set... that's all i'm willing to invest in to build a lifetime amp.

if i still had my superzeros, i might not even be here and would still be dealing with the soft treble that doesn't have the same sparkle as a good aluminum dome like B&W, paradigm or my nice energys.

if i can buy it with a return policy, i might get a kingrex class D & power supply. i love the high end look, class D in both sound and environmentalism, it's within my price range, and within shouting distance of the SKA according to 6 moons.

Last edited by budget minded; 18th January 2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 19th January 2013, 04:04 AM   #3743
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget minded View Post
if i can get a world class amp for $500, i don't mind building it as long as i'm given EVERY piece of info needed to do it right, and don't need to buy that much in test equipment too to build it. i already have a soldering iron, a drill and basic tool set... that's all i'm willing to invest in to build a lifetime amp.
hi.

Click on the 'PeeCeeBee' link in my signature place. If you have access to etching tools or other ways of making your own pcb then this might well meet your needs. It's simple and requires minimal manual setting, doesn't sound 'fat' or 'clinical'. Me and a few fellows here have built it with success and like its music. You may like it too.
Old 19th January 2013, 06:35 AM   #3744
diyAudio Member

and i get linked right back to this page. i'm starting to think noobs aren't welcome in these here parts.
Old 19th January 2013, 07:19 AM   #3745
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Shaan's signature links are working fine at my end.
Old 19th January 2013, 10:00 AM   #3746
diyAudio Member

Yep, no problem there at all.
Old 19th January 2013, 10:09 AM   #3747
diyAudio Member

The link just worked for me too..

regards mark
Old 19th January 2013, 10:18 AM   #3748
naf is offline naf  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

link work for me too
Old 19th January 2013, 10:33 AM   #3749
diyAudio Member

Quote:
what's up with all the talk i keep seeing about tweaking bias etc. after the amp is built? i'd rather just get a kit that you build and be done with it with adequate instructions for someone whose never done anything more ambitious than solder speaker cables that thinks he could confidently build a speaker crossover as long as no resistors (have to be installed directionally, right?) are needed.

i was originally interested in DIY amps because of simple gainclones with just 9 parts. when i start seeing pics by people i'm guessing are more experienced than me asking if they mounted everything right, memories of my NAD blowing up when my subwoofer wires shorted come back. *pop pop pop*! flash and oh all that smoke

all the other talk about making changes to power rails and filtering too make me think this might be too big a project to attempt for me. my mind is allergic to abstractions. i understand mechanics much better as you can see what's going on.
Can you see what is going on inside a combustion chamber or the ecu that controls an engine ????? You can get a good idea by the use of physics and some equipment .
same is to be said for electronics.. An audio signal is a very complex signal and it is no mean feat to design and build an amplifier that sounds good ..
It takes knowlage and expirience . If you want a quick solution buy a complete amplifier kit.. or if budget is your main concern buy somthing ready made it will cost less . if it goes wrong it will have some sort of waranty..
The knolage and expirience on this forum is second to non .. Hell some of the best audio designers in the world hang out here and give an endless amount of imformation.. Diy audio is a very rewarding hobby. Just like any foreign language it is strange at first but if you need and want to learn it will take time and paitents ... And finally it is the loud speakers that give the largest tonal variations .. DO YOU HAVe a HOBBY?? ps i am a trained qualified mechanic . I find it boring compared with audio electronics. there is always somthing new to learn and discover but remember it will take TIME and Will make your head hurt at times .. However the rewards are plenty.. There is only one way to gain expirience.. Lots of newbies on here build amplifiers they had no expirience just like yourself but are now enjoying the fruits of there labour

Last edited by madtecchy; 19th January 2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: more waffle
Old 19th January 2013, 12:08 PM   #3750
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
if i can buy it with a return policy, i might get a kingrex class D & power supply. i love the high end look, class D in both sound and environmentalism, it's within my price range, and within shouting distance of the SKA according to 6 moons.
If you like class-D, I can't see a clear reason to look somewhere else. Class-D imo have strength and weakness. As long as you cannot see the weakness, all you have is the strength, an unbeatable strength.

Hide this!Advertise here!