Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 366 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2012, 01:30 AM   #3651
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
I'm bored with their stupid interface...
Programmers may see it from different perspective. As long as it has the tool to construct more functionality, it is a good engine.

You can use variables (parameters in LTSpice) and make general statements (and components) made from variables so the only thing you do when you want to do different function (e.g. analysis) you just right click on a set of statements, make them a "comment" and right click on another set and make them "SPICE Directive". All of these statements (and components) can be put on the top of the circuit such that when you create a new circuit, you just copy them using F6 and drag.

Just an idea/perspective.
Old 12th November 2012, 02:09 AM   #3652
diyAudio Member

I like that idea Jay.

Consider math programs. You have to know some sort of console interface/language. It is just too difficult to design a graphical interface that is more intuitive than a written equation. You cannot replace an equation with a bunch of buttons and sliders, and retain the flexibility of written math.

Some extra features would make LTSpice less tedious for sure. However if you really get deep into optimized design, you are going to end up designing your own functions anyways. Someone who uses all the advanced features of SPICE probably will not have such a need for a heavily scripted interface. People who expect to only use the graphical parts of LTSpice and still want the full functionality of simulation will find the program lacking. The program was most likely intended for people who already know their way around SPICE.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:48 AM   #3653
diyAudio Member

Does anybody use TINA-TI simulator available at Texas site? If yes, can you send some comments?
Old 14th November 2012, 08:00 AM   #3654
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
......CSA prototype functional at last.......
So how does it sound ? Compared with, for example, the schematic Nico used or any other commercial amp we know of.
This has become a really long and interesting thread !
Old 14th November 2012, 09:10 AM   #3655
diyAudio Member

Hi ashok

As you can notice from the pics this is testing assembly with thin alu plate to thermally connect all driver output transistors and NTC sensor. The plate has GND potential and serves to electrically/thermally simulate the heatsink and still to enable enough space to make all necessary testing evaluations easier, like to set compensation caps, minor parts value modifications etc.

Thermal capacity of the plate is zero, so all the power measurements and sound checks can be done later in the process when regular heatsink will be here. It is ordered, just waiting to be delivered and than I'll report about SSA CSA comparisons etc.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:46 AM   #3656
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that update. Yes getting it all fixed for listening can't be done without enough heatsinking .......and spare time !

Your hands seem to be full with numerous versions to try out. Must be quite exciting ! Great job.
Cheers.
Old 27th November 2012, 10:29 PM   #3657
diyAudio Member

Before big heatsinks for CSA arrives I am actually not just waiting, for instance today I assembled real plate PCB to the case plate and installed all connectors, LEDs and remote/local trigger switch. Pictures says it all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NC37.jpg (477.6 KB, 486 views)
File Type: jpg NC39.jpg (465.9 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg NC38.jpg (397.1 KB, 407 views)
Old 3rd December 2012, 06:59 PM   #3658
Magna is offline Magna  India
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

After a month's work, finally got my version of SSA singing...
It work's on +/- 65V with 3 pairs of Fet's. The Amp remains silent at switch on, no thump / noise. couldn't hear any hum / noise with my ears right on to the speakers , and now who said PSRR is not good with SSA....
And the sound....huge difference from my previous setup. Anyone who could hear the difference between a 5534 and opa134 opamp should be able to appreciate it.

Couple of observations....

I've adjusted the trimpot for near zero DC offset, after an hour with music at high volume the dc drifted from 3mv to about 45mv. Then i switched it off and on after a few minutes, and measured about 20mv. Is this normal...?

Also the resistor (3k3) that feeds from the base of driver cascode to base of input cascode does get uncomfortably hot to touch. My simulation shows little more than 1w of dissipation at @ +/- 75v. will Reducing the dissipation by increasing its value affect sound quality?

Everything else seems to work perfect...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0495.jpg (315.5 KB, 328 views)
Old 3rd December 2012, 07:10 PM   #3659
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

BRAVO BRAVO BRAVO!

Nice DIY Manga! You deserve the SSA sound, and now you have it, enjoy.

edit: Good choice of capacitors brand.
Old 3rd December 2012, 07:34 PM   #3660
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna View Post
Also the resistor (3k3) that feeds from the base of driver cascode to base of input cascode does get uncomfortably hot to touch. My simulation shows little more than 1w of dissipation at @ +/- 75v. will Reducing the dissipation by increasing its value affect sound quality?
I think the input bias was specified for 10mA? With 10mA a 3K3 will dissipate 330mW.

Hide this!Advertise here!