Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 329 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2012, 08:19 PM   #3281
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
+50 to -50 is max rail?
For the power units, yes. Not enough power ?
Old 1st October 2012, 08:34 PM   #3282
Riff is offline Riff  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

can this monoblock produce about 40vrms output at 1,6R and rail voltage is +65 to-65 (1kw)?
or i need to add some output?
sorry my bad eng...regards.
Old 1st October 2012, 09:03 PM   #3283
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Hi Riff, Welcome to the thread.

Do you intend to use SSA as Subwoofer amp? Or multiple speakers in parallel? I believe the version you chose has the ability to drive 1.6ohm if you increase power transistors at the output. It has enough driver power for a lot of power trannies, but how many I cann't tell. Hope LC and others shed some light on this. I'm excited.

Old 1st October 2012, 09:16 PM   #3284
Riff is offline Riff  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaan View Post
Hi Riff, Welcome to the thread.

Do you intend to use SSA as Subwoofer amp? Or multiple speakers in parallel? I believe the version you chose has the ability to drive 1.6ohm if you increase power transistors at the output. It has enough driver power for a lot of power trannies, but how many I cann't tell. Hope LC and others shed some light on this. I'm excited.

ur wellcome shaan...hope i can learn something from this thread...my plane is multiple speakers in parallel for outdoor.
anybody can tell me how rail to get 40vrms output at 1,6R?
7pair of 2SC5200/2SA1943 is enough?
Old 1st October 2012, 09:32 PM   #3285
diyAudio Member

With 7 pairs there will be over 3.5A of peak current through each device with 40VRMS(57VPeak) into 1.6ohm.

With 60VCE the SOA curve of 5200 tells max continuous Ic of just below 2A. So you'll need 13 pairs for driving that load from +-60V.

I hope I calculated it right.

edit: This would put 1Kw into 1.6ohms, so 13 pairs seems okay.

Last edited by shaan; 1st October 2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: 1Kw SSA!
Old 1st October 2012, 09:40 PM   #3286
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riff View Post
can this monoblock produce about 40vrms output at 1,6R and rail voltage is +65 to-65 (1kw)?
I do not understand. this amp is able to deliver around 68V rms. What is your requirement, which usage ?
I believe 1.6R is not a big deal* if it was well calculated and will probably do not require much more power units as long you do not run-it on continuous power. Your main problem will be the power supply and cooling.
* Not sure, i don't designed-it and don't know the safety area of the power Transistors

[edit]Nice Shaan, our messages crossed.

Last edited by Esperado; 1st October 2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 1st October 2012, 10:03 PM   #3287
diyAudio Member

Yes you are right Christophe, none here has built it with so many output devices. I will wait for LC's input on this matter, as this approach hasn't been tried with SSA before. A successful 1KW SSA build will be a great project for the expansion of this topology into very high power range.
Old 1st October 2012, 10:16 PM   #3288
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes you are right Christophe, none here has built it with so many output devices. I will wait for LC's input on this matter, as this approach hasn't been tried with SSA before. A successful 1KW SSA build will be a great project for the expansion of this topology into very high power range.
Care has to be taken regard to the driver's charge, not too much disparities between power units, or increase of their emitters resistances, forced air cooling etc...
As it, it looks ok to drive some special home speakers (condensers or magneplan) at good listening level.
> 1KW, for PA, by example, is just affraying. I would prefer Class D, for that kind of usage.
Old 1st October 2012, 10:23 PM   #3289
diyAudio Member

That's right Christophe. Class-D is actually better in this respect, but I doubt any Class-D can do what SSA can, sonically speaking.

If I am on the right track, we definitely need a Class-H SSA.
Old 1st October 2012, 11:43 PM   #3290
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's right Christophe. Class-D is actually better in this respect, but I doubt any Class-D can do what SSA can, sonically speaking.
it is out of topic, but PA does not require such subtlety. It require clear, dynamic, and free reproduction, that all about Class D amp. Again, i wonder why Class D has such a bad reputation.

One of my friends, a very clever and passionated hifi and music lover, audiophile, in the good sense of the word, and DIYer had chosen Class D amps between everything else for his high end system to power those enclosures:
Enceintes acoustiques de référence (Look at the bottom of the page at the response curve and the group delay...)

The amps are here:
Mon système (use google translator ?) -> Amplificateur 2x300W classe D and http://www.dcx2496.fr/img/UHT849.jpg

He said it is the most transparent natural and dynamic amp he had never listened to.
Well, i hope he can compare, one day, with a SSA.

Last edited by Esperado; 1st October 2012 at 11:45 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!