Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 325 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2012, 02:25 AM   #3241
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadod View Post
I am sory for those who (think they) can.
Myths in Audio
My post was a joke, because some people has big sentiments against those who claim can hear things. Those who can hear things, naturally don't have sentiment against the other party.

It's like people telling they can see ghosts. Most of the time they are just liars. But it doesn't mean that ghosts do not exist. We have to believe that there are things that we cannot understand. Only non-intelligent people who usually think that they understand everything, that if they cannot see a thing then the thing must not exist.
Old 1st October 2012, 02:49 AM   #3242
naf is offline naf  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
We need more photos with your amp at work, don't we?
Dear Salas,
this is the last picture i take when my SSA playing music... sorry for shake picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120930_121213_rsz.jpg (128.9 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg 20120930_115727_rsz.jpg (157.0 KB, 361 views)
Old 1st October 2012, 02:54 AM   #3243
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Is it because the bass shakes the camera?
Nice. Good choice on Nippon Chemicon caps when in hot environment near the sinks. Very reliable brand. Are the brown ones KMG or KZE?
Old 1st October 2012, 03:06 AM   #3244
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is it because the bass shakes the camera?
Nice. Good choice on Nippon Chemicon caps when in hot environment near the sinks. Very reliable brand. Are the brown ones KMG or KZE?
Thank you sir, the brown one is KZE.
Old 1st October 2012, 03:25 AM   #3245
diyAudio Chief Moderator

When you will pack it up in its final box measure the temperature on the electrolytics. Rule of thumb is you double half a quoted cap's spec sheet lifespan for each 10 degrees decrement from printed max temp on the cap's sleeve. The 85C black SMGs will go first in other words, but if the temperature is moderate they are going to live long enough. Example: If you got a 2000 hours 85C electrochemical capacitor working in a 55C environment, then 85C-55C=30C i.e. 3 times 10 degrees less than its max. Half 2000 hours is 1000 hours. 1000*2*2*2=8000 hours. That is how long it will live if the manufacturer is accurate and reliable.
Old 1st October 2012, 03:46 AM   #3246
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When you will pack it up in its final box measure the temperature on the electrolytics. Rule of thumb is you double half a quoted cap's spec sheet lifespan for each 10 degrees decrement from printed max temp on the cap's sleeve. The 85C black SMGs will go first in other words, but if the temperature is moderate they are going to live long enough. Example: If you got a 2000 hours 85C electrochemical capacitor working in a 55C environment, then 85C-55C=30C i.e. 3 times 10 degrees less than its max. Half 2000 hours is 1000 hours. 1000*2*2*2=8000 hours. That is how long it will live if the manufacturer is accurate and reliable.
Thank you Sir for the tips and sample calculation, i learn something new.
Old 1st October 2012, 03:54 AM   #3247
diyAudio Chief Moderator

It was an opportunity to refer because I don't see that consideration much around when people ask "what cap is good for my amp?". ESR, value, subjective tone, are usually mentioned but not relative lifespan. Well, maybe a Nichicon Muse KZ is sounding nice but I would not populate a Class A Pass with those because 1000h 85C. But I would on a preamp etc. Same thinking for other high temp builds, like in valve amps.
Old 1st October 2012, 07:20 AM   #3248
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Hi naf, nice to see those LEDs shining.

Hi Salas, very true points about Electros placed near hot places. However, the VAS bjts with half watt dissipation and those large heatsinks IMHO won't be able to suck life out of the caps.
Old 1st October 2012, 07:23 AM   #3249
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It was an opportunity to refer because I don't see that consideration much around when people ask "what cap is good for my amp?". ESR, value, subjective tone, are usually mentioned but not relative lifespan. Well, maybe a Nichicon Muse KZ is sounding nice but I would not populate a Class A Pass with those because 1000h 85C. But I would on a preamp etc. Same thinking for other high temp builds, like in valve amps.
I can only agree with Salas. They wear out to fast in a class A amp.
Old 1st October 2012, 07:27 AM   #3250
diyAudio Chief Moderator

@Shaan
When its boxed up and put to its resident place after an hour's work its good we know for any amp. 150mA is not low for A/B but it depends on sinks as you say.

P.S. Even when transported in non pressurized air cargo bays, wet electrolyte caps lose some by the way.

Hide this!Advertise here!