Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 325 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2012, 02:25 AM   #3241
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Jakarta
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadod View Post
I am sory for those who (think they) can.
Myths in Audio
My post was a joke, because some people has big sentiments against those who claim can hear things. Those who can hear things, naturally don't have sentiment against the other party.

It's like people telling they can see ghosts. Most of the time they are just liars. But it doesn't mean that ghosts do not exist. We have to believe that there are things that we cannot understand. Only non-intelligent people who usually think that they understand everything, that if they cannot see a thing then the thing must not exist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 02:49 AM   #3242
naf is offline naf  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
We need more photos with your amp at work, don't we?
Dear Salas,
this is the last picture i take when my SSA playing music... sorry for shake picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120930_121213_rsz.jpg (128.9 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg 20120930_115727_rsz.jpg (157.0 KB, 361 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 02:54 AM   #3243
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator
 
Salas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens-Greece
Is it because the bass shakes the camera?
Nice. Good choice on Nippon Chemicon caps when in hot environment near the sinks. Very reliable brand. Are the brown ones KMG or KZE?
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 03:06 AM   #3244
naf is offline naf  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Is it because the bass shakes the camera?
Nice. Good choice on Nippon Chemicon caps when in hot environment near the sinks. Very reliable brand. Are the brown ones KMG or KZE?
Thank you sir, the brown one is KZE.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 03:25 AM   #3245
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator
 
Salas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens-Greece
When you will pack it up in its final box measure the temperature on the electrolytics. Rule of thumb is you double half a quoted cap's spec sheet lifespan for each 10 degrees decrement from printed max temp on the cap's sleeve. The 85C black SMGs will go first in other words, but if the temperature is moderate they are going to live long enough. Example: If you got a 2000 hours 85C electrochemical capacitor working in a 55C environment, then 85C-55C=30C i.e. 3 times 10 degrees less than its max. Half 2000 hours is 1000 hours. 1000*2*2*2=8000 hours. That is how long it will live if the manufacturer is accurate and reliable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 03:46 AM   #3246
naf is offline naf  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
When you will pack it up in its final box measure the temperature on the electrolytics. Rule of thumb is you double half a quoted cap's spec sheet lifespan for each 10 degrees decrement from printed max temp on the cap's sleeve. The 85C black SMGs will go first in other words, but if the temperature is moderate they are going to live long enough. Example: If you got a 2000 hours 85C electrochemical capacitor working in a 55C environment, then 85C-55C=30C i.e. 3 times 10 degrees less than its max. Half 2000 hours is 1000 hours. 1000*2*2*2=8000 hours. That is how long it will live if the manufacturer is accurate and reliable.
Thank you Sir for the tips and sample calculation, i learn something new.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 03:54 AM   #3247
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator
 
Salas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens-Greece
It was an opportunity to refer because I don't see that consideration much around when people ask "what cap is good for my amp?". ESR, value, subjective tone, are usually mentioned but not relative lifespan. Well, maybe a Nichicon Muse KZ is sounding nice but I would not populate a Class A Pass with those because 1000h 85C. But I would on a preamp etc. Same thinking for other high temp builds, like in valve amps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 07:20 AM   #3248
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member
 
shaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Near the Ganges
Hi naf, nice to see those LEDs shining.

Hi Salas, very true points about Electros placed near hot places. However, the VAS bjts with half watt dissipation and those large heatsinks IMHO won't be able to suck life out of the caps.
__________________
The PeeCeeBee Thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 07:23 AM   #3249
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member
 
sonnya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
It was an opportunity to refer because I don't see that consideration much around when people ask "what cap is good for my amp?". ESR, value, subjective tone, are usually mentioned but not relative lifespan. Well, maybe a Nichicon Muse KZ is sounding nice but I would not populate a Class A Pass with those because 1000h 85C. But I would on a preamp etc. Same thinking for other high temp builds, like in valve amps.
I can only agree with Salas. They wear out to fast in a class A amp.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 07:27 AM   #3250
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator
 
Salas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens-Greece
@Shaan
When its boxed up and put to its resident place after an hour's work its good we know for any amp. 150mA is not low for A/B but it depends on sinks as you say.

P.S. Even when transported in non pressurized air cargo bays, wet electrolyte caps lose some by the way.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Symetrical schematics are alike plague in Brazil, do you like them? destroyer X Solid State 151 1st July 2010 02:09 PM
Symetrical out low Zout karsten21 Tubes / Valves 5 1st February 2010 10:19 PM
going balanced/symetrical - what benefits? weissi Solid State 15 20th October 2007 08:06 AM
Symetrical field, is this? Raka Multi-Way 6 14th September 2003 01:21 PM
Non-symetrical SMPS output cm961 Parts 4 21st August 2003 10:27 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:40 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2