Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 315 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2012, 10:37 AM   #3141
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

A 500mW 15V Zener will operate from 3mA to 33mA.
Old 24th September 2012, 01:17 PM   #3142
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
...at least what datasheet says.
Did-you notice that our civilization tend to eradicate those kind of things ?
Where are all those fantastic huge books from PMI, Analog devices, Harris, Texas instruments etc... with all those beautiful curves full of promises, witch followed us during decades ?

To naf, you can follow L.C. advice, using the best temp measuring instrument on your Zeners: Your finger ;-)
Old 24th September 2012, 02:22 PM   #3143
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Did-you notice that our civilization tend to eradicate those kind of things? Where are all those fantastic huge books from PMI, Analog devices, Harris, Texas instruments etc... with all those beautiful curves full of promises, witch followed us during decades?
They are in the net. But for eager(but inexperienced and often naive) diyers like me and, say, naf and many others, reading the manual is often the last job when the gadget doesn't work . What helping would electro-gods like Esperado do in diyaudio if our civilizations always did their homework. See how naf, being not-so-experienced in this field, went for a half-watt before asking LC or you or others if it was okay. In fact it is still okay if the zener blows(hopefully won't), as this would teach him important facts about zeners, and, he might actually download and read the datasheet, and then become hungry for more electro-info, which will only do good.

Anyways, I am currently simulating my SSA with a servo, in order to eliminate my headaches/confusions/doubts/caring about offset once and for all, concentrating solely on the bias of the input and VAS. I would feel glad to see the SSA as an amplifier which even a fresh diy-er can build and enjoy, without thinking about the fusses that comes with CF topology and without the danger of accidentally blowing his 49$ fullrange, like many simple LTP based amps which use commonly available and cheap parts, work fine even if one just throws the said parts to said places and doesn't care about device matching. I think this is the only way to popularize SSA, truly simple and easy to build.

This is not to say that I'm not building the advanced CCS which is bound to bring SSA to its full bloom, but I need to buy better speakers first.
Old 24th September 2012, 04:09 PM   #3144
naf is offline naf  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

LC i do trust your calculatio on zener current, i draw the shematic in LTSpice and yes it's the correct value.

Shaan i do trust you on what of you have experienced during building SSA amp, today i've asked my friend to source for me 1 watt zener and thanks he have it.

and Esperado yes i have the best thermal sensor in the word, my fingertip.

to all of you thank you very much, i'll gain more experience and more fun building this amp.

regards
naf
Old 24th September 2012, 04:42 PM   #3145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaan View Post
Anyways, I am currently simulating my SSA with a servo, in order to eliminate my headaches/confusions/doubts/caring about offset once and for all, concentrating solely on the bias of the input and VAS. I would feel glad to see the SSA as an amplifier which even a fresh diy-er can build and enjoy, without thinking about the fusses that comes with CF topology and without the danger of accidentally blowing his 49$ fullrange, like many simple LTP based amps which use commonly available and cheap parts, work fine even if one just throws the said parts to said places and doesn't care about device matching. I think this is the only way to popularize SSA, truly simple and easy to build.

This is not to say that I'm not building the advanced CCS which is bound to bring SSA to its full bloom, but I need to buy better speakers first.
Yes, that's the way to bring SSA to the masses. Nice job Shaan, I'll follow and fully support you if needed. CFB has to be presented in its simplest form and at the same time as "bulletproof" design. This will attract and bring a lot new CFB fans to SSA amp around the globe. Thanks Shaan
Old 25th September 2012, 10:58 AM   #3146
diyAudio Member

Unhappy A mistake in the PCB

Hi naf, Cambe and others.

The 10K input to ground resistor is missing in the PCB. You can connect it parallel to the 22pF capacitor, on the underside of the PCB between the red-marked pads.

My apologies. I will upload the corrected PCB shortly.
Attached Images
File Type: png SSA_PEECEEBEE_Correction.PNG (67.1 KB, 532 views)
Old 25th September 2012, 12:09 PM   #3147
diyAudio Member

Here is the corrected peeceebee.

I hope I'll be forgiven for the mistake in the previous layout.

Thanks everyone.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SSA_PEECEEBEE_CORRECTED.zip (124.0 KB, 291 views)
Old 25th September 2012, 12:51 PM   #3148
diyAudio Member

Old 26th September 2012, 01:37 AM   #3149
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi naf, Cambe and others.

The 10K input to ground resistor is missing in the PCB. You can connect it parallel to the 22pF capacitor, on the underside of the PCB between the red-marked pads.

My apologies. I will upload the corrected PCB shortly.
Thank you very much Shaan, i'll add the missing part.
Old 26th September 2012, 02:02 AM   #3150
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here is the corrected peeceebee.

I hope I'll be forgiven for the mistake in the previous layout.

Thanks everyone.
No problem Shaan, nobody perfect
he he he to little software make it more easir

Hide this!Advertise here!