Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 301 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2012, 06:57 PM   #3001
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

If i could give just one advice, then it would be ... wear sunscr...... Sorry!! .... only do Current feedback where it is possible...

Another mather... When you raise the bandwidth, what about stability into capacitive loads???????

I do not use Zobel or inductor, and maintain low distortion, high bandwidth (500KHz) and in my test protoamp i have a Zout of less than 30mOhm @ 20KHz. And still it is stable into 10uF load.

Sim of the final circuit tells me less than 2mOhm of the final amp at 20KHz.

Before asking how it is done. This does not leave my doorstep, but it can be done....

So the DFin my final circuit is equal to the Hypex NCD400.
Old 8th September 2012, 07:42 PM   #3002
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnya View Post
If i could give just one advice, then it would be ... wear sunscr...... Sorry!! .... only do Current feedback where it is possible...
Yes yes yes

Quote:
Another mather... When you raise the bandwidth, what about stability into capacitive loads???????

I do not use Zobel or inductor, and maintain low distortion, high bandwidth (500KHz) and in my test protoamp i have a Zout of less than 30mOhm @ 20KHz. And still it is stable into 10uF load.
You mean 10 uF parallel to 8 ohm resistor or 10 uF alone as a load?

Quote:
Sim of the final circuit tells me less than 2mOhm of the final amp at 20KHz.
Is this new amp a merge of Mirand and TSSA as you already mentioned lately?
Old 8th September 2012, 08:58 PM   #3003
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I do not use Zobel or inductor
Serial inductor is not always required against oscillation. But it helps to protect feedback to carry HF, induced in the Loudspeakers wires witch can be worse than the same hf in the input.

The same remark applies at the Preamp output, reason why the cabling i suggested earlier was done the way it is.

I wonder why no audiophile cable guru has never thought to sell shielded loudspeaker's wires, instead of alloy gallium plated ones, isolated by Teflon/bamboo with cryogenic treatment.
Old 8th September 2012, 09:10 PM   #3004
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
Yes yes yes

You mean 10 uF parallel to 8 ohm resistor or 10 uF alone as a load?

Is this new amp a merge of Mirand and TSSA as you already mentioned lately?
It is into 8r and 10uf load.

This new AMP is made of sub parts of both designs plus extra's.
Old 8th September 2012, 09:20 PM   #3005
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This new AMP is made of sub parts of both designs plus extra's.
Will it be commercial product only or DIY published group buy as Mirand, TSSA?
Old 8th September 2012, 10:35 PM   #3006
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Oh, my god, i hope i'm not boring everybody here, talking like an old school teacher. If yes, please, let me know.
Thanks for clarifying this
Old 8th September 2012, 10:41 PM   #3007
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I wonder why no audiophile cable guru has never thought to sell shielded loudspeaker's wires, instead of alloy gallium plated ones, isolated by Teflon/bamboo with cryogenic treatment.
You could try screened Cat 6 network cable ( CAT 6 STP )

Try it before you laugh - You might be pleasantly surprised - it takes a pretty high spec cable to carry a 1000Mb/s signal.
Old 8th September 2012, 11:46 PM   #3008
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
You could try screened Cat 6 network cable ( CAT 6 STP )
Try it before you laugh - You might be pleasantly surprised - it takes a pretty high spec cable to carry a 1000Mb/s signal.
Nb: It can carry such a bandwidth only if source and target impedance is 100 Ohms for a perfect "transmission line".

I will not laugh as i use them between my digital filter and my active speakers (one pair for basses, one pair for treeble, one pair for power on/off command, one pair for volume remote control of the power amps). With balanced 100 Ohms audio lines as required ;-)

Forget about that flat bandwitch for the < 0.1 ohms source of a power amplifier and a > 8 ohm loudspeaker, but who care ?

Last edited by Esperado; 8th September 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 9th September 2012, 01:44 AM   #3009
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Serial inductor is not always required against oscillation. But it helps to protect feedback to carry HF, induced in the Loudspeakers wires witch can be worse than the same hf in the input
Cool, I think this is the first time I listen to something like this (those other times I might not listening). So that's why some use zobel at both ends of the inductor?

Quote:
I think it will become a capacitive load for the amp? Do you mean the negative cable shielding the positive one??? I have been wondering about that many times. But I just didn't want to "re-invent" the mistake.

With CAT5, CAT6, and similar telecom cables, I still use it. Sometimes I have worry with the stranded cables but it has been years and I cannot see issue with oscillation.

But it is hard to find cables for such application that doesn't sound "hard". Indeed the resolution is its hallmark but the hard sound can be fatiguing sometimes. Don't know if this is a "true to the sound" issue. But I like the soft sound of silver wire. Or may be I cannot decide until now
Old 9th September 2012, 06:19 AM   #3010
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I think it will become a capacitive load for the amp? Do you mean the negative cable shielding the positive one??? I have been wondering about that many times. But I just didn't want to "re-invent" the mistake.
Using shielded cat 6 as an example, I would try using the inner pairs for loudspeaker send & return - all coloured wires for send, all whites for return.

Connect the screen at one end only for shielding duties. I'm guessing amp end grounded to casing would be best - but I would try both options - the other option being running a case ground to the speaker to earth the far end of the screen - could try earthing the driver chassis as well.

I have used Cat6 or the pairs inside Cat6 for nearly all duties for a few years now - There may be better cables out there but I also know that there are many that are worse. For anyone on a budget it provides incredible value for money.

I recently upgraded a £20 pound interconnect cable to 2 x Cat 6 twisted pairs and the improvement was amazing - cost was more because I elected to use Eichmann plugs but the interconnects effectively become the cost of the plugs you choose. There is no screen on regular CAT 6 so I keep i/p impedance low - 10K or less

I think I'll order some screened Cat6 tmrw for speaker leads and see it I can hear any difference !

Last edited by mikelm; 9th September 2012 at 06:21 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!