Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 284 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2012, 07:44 PM   #2831
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
What the hell are doing the marketing guys ?
Their best.

Quote:
They canvass Emirs and ignore Maharajas?
No dear Esperado. They are doing their country a favor by not importing electronic 'Maharajas'. And we, the Indians are thankful for that. They learn their lesson by watching those who suffered the maharaja's wrath. ;-D
Also, we don't export maharajas and 'tin-ear' is an unpopular/unknown phrase here.
;-)

Last edited by shaan; 28th August 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 28th August 2012, 08:46 PM   #2832
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Best no protection , no fuse straight to speaker , of course very dependent on system resolution.
Well, high resolution speakers (are mine part of them ?) are very expensive, right ?
Who want to get the risk to destroy them ?
About fuse in the DC lines, i can hear the sound degradation they bring on dynamic, a lot more than relays in the HP lines, so i use fuse only during the first power on after every change on the Amp.

About work like comparing sound differences between paralleled and big caps, different condenser technologies etc... i first lie on measurements and physic laws when i can (response curves, distortion) Then i listen to correlate.
If the difference is obvious, no problem.
If my ears preferences go against measurement,, time to ask-myself questions.

I'm very suspicious about hearing judgments on subtle differences, can lie to myself, auto convince, imagine, prefer my habits etc...

I do not believe on blind test neither.
(Remember a blind test between mini-disk copies (ATRAC compression) and original where most of the sound engineers participating to this test where preferring the copy to the original ;-)
You can loose a lot of time in that kind of comparisons and be absolutely on the wrong way.

So, since years, before to validate a change, i just listen to music with no attention to the system, and let impressions to impose themselves after some days or week on a lot of different sources.

It is better to use a system to listen music than to listen endless to the system itself , it is a terrible disease to be an audiophile maniac ;-)
Old 28th August 2012, 09:06 PM   #2833
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

"HP lines" stands for haut-parleur (loudspeaker) lines?
Old 28th August 2012, 09:53 PM   #2834
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
"HP lines" stands for haut-parleur (loudspeaker) lines?
Oh,yes, so sorry !
Why don't you speak French like everybody, over here ?

[edit] This joke sound better in French !

Last edited by Esperado; 28th August 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 28th August 2012, 10:11 PM   #2835
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Quote:
About fuse in the DC lines, i can hear the sound degradation they bring on dynamic, a lot more than relays in the HP lines, so i use fuse only during the first power on after every change on the Amp.
Do you notice degradation even if you have a small cap in parallel with the fuse and have the fuses upstream of the main reservoir caps ?

I find a good solution is to use constantan resistance wire soldered between two posts as an o/p fuse - I like 0.1 - 0.2R on the o/p - and it to my ears it does not degrade the sound at all.

any thoughts on that ?

mike
Old 28th August 2012, 10:32 PM   #2836
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Well, high resolution speakers (are mine part of them ?) are very expensive, right ?
Who want to get the risk to destroy them ?

About work like comparing sound differences between paralleled and big caps, different condenser technologies etc... i first lie on measurements and physic laws when i can (response curves, distortion) Then i listen to correlate.
If the difference is obvious, no problem.
If my ears preferences go against measurement,, time to ask-myself questions.

I'm very suspicious about hearing judgments on subtle differences, can lie to myself, auto convince, imagine, prefer my habits etc...

I do not believe on blind test neither.
(Remember a blind test between mini-disk copies (ATRAC compression) and original where most of the sound engineers participating to this test where preferring the copy to the original ;-)
You can loose a lot of time in that kind of comparisons and be absolutely on the wrong way.

So, since years, before to validate a change, i just listen to music with no attention to the system, and let impressions to impose themselves after some days or week on a lot of different sources.

It is better to use a system to listen music than to listen endless to the system itself , it is a terrible disease to be an audiophile maniac ;-)
So make it good to hear the music , but not better to hear more realism of said music ...

Err, Ok, Noted ...

Anyway , I may or may not be upset if the amp lets go and take out my speaker, I definitely will be upset with less sound and since this is DIY, I prefer no current limiters, no fuses, no relays,( of course until amp is secure) no input capacitors, nothing between outputs and Speaker wire. I will fuse PSU line, which will be provided with the biggest wire i can fit, plugged directly to the wall, into the best receptacle with in reason...

Small, high impedance and high efficiency speakers will suffer differently, require a different approach and have different sound, So there will always be a different approach to satisfaction ....

Last edited by a.wayne; 28th August 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 28th August 2012, 10:39 PM   #2837
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
Do you notice degradation even if you have a small cap in parallel with the fuse and have the fuses upstream of the main reservoir caps ?

I find a good solution is to use constantan resistance wire soldered between two posts as an o/p fuse - I like 0.1 - 0.2R on the o/p - and it to my ears it does not degrade the sound at all.

any thoughts on that ?

mike
If the fuse is before the caps, it will not protect the amp, as the caps are free to discharge across power units even after it has fired..

The problem with the fuses are they present an impedance that greatly vary with temp/amps.
I never tried your tip. Is-it as fast as a fast fuse ? No corrosion problem if your wire is in free air ? Did they present a constant impedance ?

Last edited by Esperado; 28th August 2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 28th August 2012, 11:27 PM   #2838
diyAudio Member

The whole idea of constantan resistance wire is that it has a very low temp coefficient.

I have used on amp o/p and I have not noticed any corrosion or degradation in sound.

The values I use has successfully blown at various appropriate times but I have not done all scenarios testing.

It works for me but true, this is a non standard measure and so does not come with guarentees.

mike

p.s. this wire sounds as good as any resistor I have found and much better than most that I have tried in this position.

Last edited by mikelm; 28th August 2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: post script
Old 29th August 2012, 12:31 AM   #2839
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
The whole idea of constantan resistance wire is that it has a very low temp coefficient.
Constantan have a 1 300 °C melting point. I presume it work at very high temp, on normal usage (not so far from the melting point ?). Any idea how is the impedance curve at those temps ? (supposed to be near flat between 20 °C et 100 °C ).
How to calibrate the max amp with enough precision ?
No manufacturer offer calibrated "audio" fuses using constantan wires ?
Your tip sound good, anyway.

Last edited by Esperado; 29th August 2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 29th August 2012, 08:11 AM   #2840
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How to calibrate the max amp with enough precision ?.
Would need to establish a standard construction method and then do some experimentation to establish blow times at different currents - can't beat empirical method

This is a very old fashioned approach - when fuse blows have to get out the fusewire & soldering iron !

But for DIYers this is not a problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!