Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 276 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2012, 12:47 AM   #2751
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up One Year of the SSA thread

Hi guys

Enormously enjoying reading your posts about CFB historical facts, amp models & their schematics, successful SSA builds, everything what you've been posted so far.

Please keep up the spirit alive and go on with making amplifiers.

Regards Andrej
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:55 PM   #2752
diyAudio Member

Congratulations, LZ, and thank you for sharing!

I have a question about regulated PS for the SSA.
Since this amp has extended frequency response and has enormous slew rate, I suppose the regulated PS will be challenged...I usually use Teddy Pardo's "PowerReg" for this purpose (the only one that I know) with success.

Introducing the PowerReg - pink fish media

It has a plain LM317/337 monolythic reg to set the voltage and a D44/45H11 as output transistor, which I understand are fast but I don't know if they are fast enough. Could you help?

Thanks again.
M.
Old 23rd August 2012, 03:31 PM   #2753
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
D44/45H11 as output transistor, which I understand are fast but I don't know if they are fast enough.
The input stage is the one to protect from PS noise. This way you can choose very fast small (TO126) transistor because you need only a few mA. Many video output transistors are very fast. C3503/A1381 for example is 150M/3pF, while D44 and D45H11 is 15M/220pF and 12M/400pF, not a good match.

For output stage of discrete amps, many of us prefer the dynamic sound of conventional filter. If I had to use a regulator, I will prefer only one transistor regulator, and as fast as possible, like the 2SC5200 (40MHz?) as used by Apex amplifier. Or mosfet one. Or CLC. I have built darlington regulator a-la SSA Crescendo by Christophe (Esperado), with different transistor, but not yet implemented.
Old 23rd August 2012, 05:25 PM   #2754
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much, Jay.
I understood previously that this CFB amp is not suited for separate suplies for the stages...am I wrong?

I have used the mentioned PowerReg on small class A amps with good results.

M.
Old 23rd August 2012, 05:40 PM   #2755
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
The input stage is the one to protect from PS noise. This way you can choose very fast small (TO126) transistor because you need only a few mA.
Given the low current requirements, shunt regulators are practical and can be made fast. Look as Salas' versions. I think that boards, or at least board files are available.

Sheldon
Old 23rd August 2012, 05:54 PM   #2756
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
Hi guys

Enormously enjoying reading your posts about CFB historical facts, amp models & their schematics, successful SSA builds, everything what you've been posted so far.

Please keep up the spirit alive and go on with making amplifiers.

Regards Andrej
Hello LC,
Are there ever going to be boards for the SSA ..?
Old 23rd August 2012, 06:10 PM   #2757
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlorenz View Post
Congratulations, LZ, and thank you for sharing!

I have a question about regulated PS for the SSA.
Since this amp has extended frequency response and has enormous slew rate, I suppose the regulated PS will be challenged...I usually use Teddy Pardo's "PowerReg" for this purpose (the only one that I know) with success.

Introducing the PowerReg - pink fish media

It has a plain LM317/337 monolythic reg to set the voltage and a D44/45H11 as output transistor, which I understand are fast but I don't know if they are fast enough. Could you help?

Thanks again.
M.
Hi maxlorenz

SSA is a three stage amplifier, where after first two stages (input and VAS) normally comes bias control circuit (Vbe multiplier usually for BJT/lateral mosfet output or TL431 zener regulator usually for vertical mosfet drivers/outputs). This parts all together forms front-end stage which can/should have separate regulated power supply with GND connected to a common GND star point (both input and output PSU).

Output stage doesn't really need regulated PSU, just enough capacitance (2200 uF/Aload max) and well decoupled rail points at all crossings and at the output transistors near output itself (0,1 to 0,47 uF MKP/100 V). I also recommend you to decouple DC between +/- rails directly (higher voltage MKP-s).

Regarding front-end PSU, it is important to have small ripple (suggested below 80 db regarding to ouput DC voltage) so LM-s should use adjust pin decoupling, usually 10-47 uF elco is satisfactory. Regulator's bandwidth - rails frequency modulation suppression is important up to 100 kHz, from there up decoupling capacitors play major role so your's LM regulators are just fine. For a top notch results you can add shunt regulator to LM output, followed by necessary decoupling capactors, as always.

If SSA sch includes well defined CCS-s and TL431 zeners for intermediate DC points, PSRR is so high, that regulated PSU-s will bring a little to a whole amplifier's performance.

Regards Andrej
Old 23rd August 2012, 06:26 PM   #2758
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Hello LC,
Are there ever going to be boards for the SSA ..?
Hi a.wayne

There are some PCB-s published in a SSA thread. Nico made PCB at begining, bigun made it in his thread (SMT parts), there were some PCB proposals from Alex here in this thread. Many derivates, depends to SSA schematics variant choosen. For a SSA BIGBT HP I made PCB, as you've probably noticed, but than there was CCS PCB installed as add on module (separate small PCB) for better performance (more like R&D design).

As I remember you're interested in something more like Zout low (many output pairs) and that kind of SSA didn't arise yet.

Look I suggest you to concentrate to one specific schematic that will suit you and we can make it work and design PCB.

As you know now my work is concentrated to CSA which is combination of SSA and TSSA, which have two output pairs only.

Regards Andrej
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:30 PM   #2759
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Hi LC and all. While going through old posts I noticed that nico's version has two 1n4007 in parallel to the 330ohm gain resistors. What is their purpose. Thanks.
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:45 PM   #2760
diyAudio Member

Dear LC, thanks for your extensive reply. (post# 2757)
Now I have a better understanding.
I will build the simple lateral mosfet version amp with an unregulated suplly and then I'll experiment.

Regards,
M.

Hide this!Advertise here!