Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 273 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2012, 06:38 PM   #2721
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaan View Post
After two weeks of daily operation I checked the offset and bias today. Both unchanged. Whoa!

Probably the best fortnight spent with an amplifier. There has only been signal, no noise. So the psychological SNR or satisfaction is infinite mathematically.

I have some questions. I did not feel a hint of distortion from the class-AB SSA. If the SSA with source follower config already sounds(and measures) so well, then why is there the drain follower TSSA with limited power, hot sinks and big Zout? For the fostexes and lowthers? Or is there a noticeable increase in audible and measured performances? Does it sound the same(or better) through the same speaker drivers? Is it an attempt to eliminate as many gain stages as possible? Or is it for demonstrating the scalability of the SSA front end?
Maybe the input capacitor and the X100 22R to 2K2 scale keeps Shaan's particularly steady without hassle as he reports?

P.S. Shaan, I would be reluctant also to go from rich AB to full class A given the the AB quality and easier power output already. If someone had experienced both modes in a comparable build please comment.
Old 17th August 2012, 07:43 PM   #2722
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Shaan, I would be reluctant also to go from rich AB to full class A given the the AB quality and easier power output already. If someone had experienced both modes in a comparable build please comment.
On my point of view, and my experiences, i always find Class Ab amps (with correct quiescent current) to sound nicer than Pure Class A equivalent.
There is always an optimum current after witch you can find sound quality slowly decrease.
And we have to take care of the planet...
Please do not flame-me, sun is soooo hot, yet......
Old 18th August 2012, 12:48 PM   #2723
shaan is offline shaan  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Maybe the input capacitor and the X100 22R to 2K2 scale keeps Shaan's particularly steady without hassle as he reports?
How does the input cap and 100X ratio of feedback resistor and emitter resistor contribute to the stability of the SSA? Please teach me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
On my point of view, and my experiences, i always find Class Ab amps (with correct quiescent current) to sound nicer than Pure Class A equivalent.
There is always an optimum current after witch you can find sound quality slowly decrease.
In the past I built many popular diy class a amps and they all sound just excellent. The price is lots of money at the time of building the amp and lots of money thereafter if you plan to listen to it often. Well, considering the sound quality and simple circuitry the above could be ignored if one can afford the bucks. Still, when there is a measureable and audible increase in performance and quality, one should adopt the amp which is more efficient, leaving prejudices behind. The Class-AB SSA, IMHO, is the best(if not the only) choice here. I say it again,

"SSA IS A MILESTONE FOR ITS SIMPLICITY, A BENCHMARK FOR ITS SPEED, A CROWN JEWELL FOR ITS MUSIC."
Old 18th August 2012, 01:43 PM   #2724
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
Very very positive impression regarding music reproduction from you Shaan, Nico Ras, Bigun, Esperado, Sonnya, MiiB, Joachim Gerhard, Sheldon, Lazy Cat, Jazzz (SSA owner) and maybe somebody else in background.
OMG I almost forget you Salas, I'm sure you've had positive experience with SSA too.

Shaan, couldn't agree more with you

Regards Andrej
Old 18th August 2012, 04:38 PM   #2725
diyAudio Member

Quote:
and maybe somebody else in background.
I'm scared !
Old 18th August 2012, 06:08 PM   #2726
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
I'm scared !
Don't be scared, I didn't mean the red guy with the horns.
Old 19th August 2012, 04:42 AM   #2727
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
OMG I almost forget you Salas, I'm sure you've had positive experience with SSA too.
Yep I was messing with it early also. I have written positively in the past too.
Old 19th August 2012, 04:50 AM   #2728
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaan View Post
How does the input cap and 100X ratio of feedback resistor and emitter resistor contribute to the stability of the SSA? Please teach me.
I remember that it would jump offset if the source resistance would be changed drastically in my tests (dc input), that is why I wonder if the input cap helped yours. Also that 1Meg you got from input to trimmers bridge maybe helps balance. About 40dB gain, it certainly uses much less feedback, its a difference to a 26dB one. But now that I see it again you got 100 Ohm near the 2K2s so yours is normal gain there, so forget that. We used same driver & output semis in same config and bias nontheless.
Old 19th August 2012, 02:17 PM   #2729
diyAudio Member

My SAA has been serving my music to me in my office everyday for almost one year. It has not been opened nor tweaked or adjusted since the day I closed the box.

I do not care if the offset drifts between +30mV and -30mV. Heck I have seen power supply rails do far worse than that.

Off-set does not affect the sound whatsoever whether the output swings 30mV closer to one rail than the other does not bother me much, my tweeters have capacitors in series so they would not know of this off-set and I promised that I will never tell my woofers any of this off-set stuff.

Personally I feel people read too much hype into off-set.
Old 22nd August 2012, 04:15 AM   #2730
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In spite of all kinds of good amps available still listening to SSA/TSSA.
I believe that in the future (especially when recording, amp and speaker design is more advanced) all amps will be made this way (hint: the feedback, slew rate). I think amplifier designers are just too slow to understand what and why (may be because most of them do not have good ears and prefer fiddling with very basic Maths) and choose to believe that to be accurate an amp should sound fatiguing and unmusical

P.S. I don't know much about class-D technology so I can't comment on its possibility.

Hide this!Advertise here!