Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 251 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st May 2012, 05:10 PM   #2501
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianco View Post
Somehow analogue most often sounds like music and can give a lot more emotional fulfilment than can processed digital signal .
Just like painting VS photography. All is a question of what you are looking for: Emotion, or transparency.
As a sound engineer, i wonder such a nostalgia in so many "audiophile's" minds. If you are looking for that kind of "nice sounding" sound reproduction, just use tube amps. they are not transparent, but will give you more "emotional fulfilment" that any SS amp you can imagine.
This old troll "Digital vs analog" make-me laugh. When you just had finished a mix and you listen to the first vinyl from-it, you can just cry. While no question listening to any good digital copy/clone.
Old 1st May 2012, 05:26 PM   #2502
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Ever heard a very good TT set up?

I agree with first generation masters in digital format.....but - with a few exceptions - not when comparing CD to Vinyl! NOT getting into the tubes v SS argument.
Old 1st May 2012, 05:39 PM   #2503
diyAudio Member

Problem is that not many have heard a proper analog rig. Even less have heard a turntable that is precisely set up. Add to it that the records have to be super clean, flat and well pressed on good material.
Old 1st May 2012, 06:13 PM   #2504
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

The problem really is that when analog is bad it's very bad , the worst digital never gets this bad. In absolute terms only 24/192 digital sound as good as the best analog and even then it's not there , yet !

Old 1st May 2012, 06:17 PM   #2505
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
We were enjoying all the session and it was, as usual, unawarely over too quick.

I'm still waiting to hear mine any word on boards , will this happen ?
Old 1st May 2012, 06:18 PM   #2506
brianco is offline brianco  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Location: Scottish Borders - Kelso; on the famous Tweed River!
Joachim and a.wayne.....

Absolutely right.
Old 1st May 2012, 07:08 PM   #2507
diyAudio Member

Really, when you work all the days in a recording studio, you know what is before/after tape.
On an analog tape, even legendary ones, everybody is able to hear the difference immediately. (Even if you can feel sometimes some tracks sounds better after tape than before ;-) With a (good) digital machine, it is near impossible to make any difference, and i believe the difference is due to their analog parts. Each time you run the analog tape in front of the heads, you lose a little more of your sound, and it is a pain during re-recording sessions..
Vinyl is catastrophic. It adds a lot of distortion, noises, losses of treble and dynamic, and bring a curtain between you and the source. It is OBVIOUS when you compare to the original master, even on the Neumann grooving machine of the best mastering rooms.
On an other side, I is very difficult to make a good mix on a digital desk (it does not mix the things together, and frequency corrections does not change the sounds the way you want).
My personal conclusion is, for production to use both of the two worlds for the best they offer, for reproduction, thank digital forever. And their is thousand less difference between a vinyl sampled on a HD than the vinyl itself after 10 time listening sessions ;-)
Well, i have to say that my purpose about audio is to listen to music, not to listen to my sound equipments ;-) And i like to listen very often my favorite tracks.
(And, yes, i have a very good radial arm turn table i never use.)
Anyway, vinyl is out of the business nowadays,, and even CDs. For very good reasons.

Last edited by Esperado; 1st May 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 1st May 2012, 07:30 PM   #2508
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Really, when you work all the days in a recording studio, you know what is before/after tape.
On an analog tape, even legendary ones, everybody is able to hear the difference immediately. (Even if you can feel sometimes some tracks sounds better after tape than before ;-) With a (good) digital machine, it is near impossible to make any difference, and i believe the difference is due to their analog parts. Each time you run the analog tape in front of the heads, you lose a little more of your sound, and it is a pain during re-recording sessions..
Vinyl is catastrophic. It adds a lot of distortion, noises, losses of treble and dynamic, and bring a curtain between you and the source. It is OBVIOUS when you compare to the original master, even on the Neumann grooving machine of the best mastering rooms.
On an other side, I is very difficult to make a good mix on a digital desk (it does not mix the things together, and frequency corrections does not change the sounds the way you want).
My personal conclusion is, for production to use both of the two worlds for the best they offer, for reproduction, thank digital forever. And their is thousand less difference between a vinyl sampled on a HD than the vinyl itself after 10 time listening sessions ;-)
Well, i have to say that my purpose about audio is to listen to music, not to listen to my sound equipments ;-) And i like to listen very often my favorite tracks.
(And, yes, i have a very good radial arm turn table i never use.)
Anyway, vinyl is out of the business nowadays,, and even CDs. For very good reasons.
Yes , yes , No , No and No .....

Vinyl is not out of bizniz, quite the contrary and yes analog is a bear and Yes Digital saved the music bizniz and No, digital CD's purchased don't sound like the original master tapes nor recording .

The problem is not the medium, it's the final tally and in the end dragging a nail thru a groove, just sounds natural , Digital artifacts maybe more accurate , but its difference in reproduction is not natural to the ear IMO.

and

Yes, it is very difficult to get good analog software, digital stuff abound, fortunately the best pressing plants and mastering make really good analog excellent , well pleasing to the ear ...

You should break out that TT and listen to a DTD recording ...............

Last edited by a.wayne; 1st May 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 1st May 2012, 08:04 PM   #2509
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

I started to read this thread in the first few months then got carried away with some other projects...

Was there ever a board created for this amp? If not, any plans for a GB?

Ciao1
Do
Old 1st May 2012, 08:08 PM   #2510
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

nice to see you back Brianco...

Hide this!Advertise here!