Simple Symetrical Amplifier - Page 248 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2012, 02:50 PM   #2471
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Here's my version. Just slightly under compensated, without the series resistor for the NTC. I'll put it on the real heatsink before any final tweaking. I used TO-92 versions of the DN2540 because I had them.

Sheldon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSA Simple Thermaltrak.JPG (36.6 KB, 457 views)
Old 25th April 2012, 02:56 PM   #2472
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
Well done Andres - Great Achievement, would love to hear it . . . . .

But it amuse me that you decided against "fetzilla" because it might get too complicated By comparison, even with servo, mine looks so simple.
Thank you Mikelm

I'm sorry I don't understant, can you please explain in what way I decided against Fetzilla. My aims were clear from the beginning, I was searching a suitable amp for my horn speakers, that can also deliver 200 Wrms/ 4 ohm and will use my favourites BIGBT outputs. Fetzilla is very nice amp, probably I will build it in near future, but BIGBT concept and power request just didn't fit in.

TSSA is more easy amp to go, which can be very simple or high performance one as it is in last posts.

I just hope will all be healthy and have opportunity to make many amps in the forthcoming future.

Regards, Andrej
Old 25th April 2012, 03:15 PM   #2473
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Here's my version. Just slightly under compensated, without the series resistor for the NTC. I'll put it on the real heatsink before any final tweaking. I used TO-92 versions of the DN2540 because I had them.

Sheldon
Super, Sheldon, this will do. Inform us fluently and we'll share experiences and joy.
Old 26th April 2012, 08:41 AM   #2474
hahfran is offline hahfran  Germany
diyAudio Member

Can anybody help? My obviously made in China dual tracking power supply has all ics transistors with only part numbers I see no chance to fix it. The 2 pairs of power transistors get bias with oscillation . The device is ok has 2 times 40 volts tracking , 2.5 amps 4 analog meters so the best can do is a new control unit . Tested and verified schematic for a tracking power supply anyone? Without a power supply
with current limiter I do not dare to test prototypes of amps.
I think I found the ultimate solution an all current amplifier no Vas at all. Of course it has a current output. This requires some stuff to compensate the speaker's parameters
but this is not a huge problem.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:12 AM   #2475
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Cat View Post
Thank you Mikelm

I'm sorry I don't understant, can you please explain in what way I decided against Fetzilla.
Perhaps it was someone else that said that.

I think my next build with be with separate voltage gain stage & Zero FB follower o/p stage - balanced throughout - I feel like trying a radically different topology

Last edited by mikelm; 26th April 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:24 AM   #2476
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
Perhaps it was someone else that said that.

I think my next build with be with separate voltage gain stage & Zero FB follower o/p stage - balanced throughout - I feel like trying a radically different topology

I don't want to spoil your feelings but the biggest nonlinear distortion factor comes from the output stage.

But again, maybe we are a bit scared of distortion ... Some of us.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:38 AM   #2477
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
After PMA mentioned that he rarely exceeds 2V at amplifier o/p recently I checked mine again and it was a similar story - so I'm hoping I can figure something out that will sound good.

I have a medium level of fear regarding distortion - it increases as distortion becomes high order

At present I don't have a fear of class A o/p & o/p chokes - especially as I already have some - but the fear may develop afterwards

So I'm gonna try saying bye bye to 2nd & Hello to 3rd HD . . . Let's see how that sounds
Old 26th April 2012, 03:51 PM   #2478
diyAudio Member

LC,
I have received my 2SA1360/2SC3423, so i'm resuming my project on SSA BJT. Below attached are my layout and schematic, could you help me to look through it to see if any problem or improvement could be made. (I'm more concern on the quality of sound due to layout)
Quote:
More eyes+brain = Better checking
There is a question I wanted to ask before : Is there any point adding a 1uF cap at VR1 terminal ? since there is a 100uF across somewhere along.

SSA BJT made up of 10 transistor, should be rated at rms 50W. The only different between 2 picture is that no thermal compensation in the schematic. (TR & R19)

I'm using single sided board, with brown/red line as a jumper. Red words actually is meant to be terminal block.
I'm not so familiar with PCB boarding program, so its not neat/nice, just basic layout. I want to complete SSA with the best method & effort, so its best if there is many people would assist me in the way ^^
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSA BJT.jpg (203.1 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg SSA~BJT.jpg (749.3 KB, 366 views)

Last edited by guitar89; 26th April 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 26th April 2012, 07:58 PM   #2479
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar89 View Post
LC,
I have received my 2SA1360/2SC3423, so i'm resuming my project on SSA BJT.
Super BJT's, have even isolated case, I'm pleased that the SSA project is again in progress at you.

Quote:
Is there any point adding a 1uF cap at VR1 terminal ? since there is a 100uF across somewhere along.
No, not needed, but since there's four diodes in series you can add 1uF in parallel to 100uF.

Quote:
I'm not so familiar with PCB boarding program, so its not neat/nice, just basic layout. I want to complete SSA with the best method & effort, so its best if there is many people would assist me in the way ^^
It's good to start with PCB design once, very knowledgeable, will gain a lot of experiences making your own PCB.

Few remarks on the topic:
- be careful choosing the track's width, always have in mind how many amps will run through
- mechanical layout, heatsinking of outputs and drivers is first step, cause you don't wanna smoke them out
- please read this post and linked one and I suggest you to do the same

This far from me now, please process all info presented and be in touch, regards, Andrej
Old 27th April 2012, 12:28 AM   #2480
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No, not needed, but since there's four diodes in series you can add 1uF in parallel to 100uF.
OK, get it, will add one of it withinl ater, now need to go for some family business.

Quote:
It's good to start with PCB design once, very knowledgeable, will gain a lot of experiences making your own PCB.

Few remarks on the topic:
- be careful choosing the track's width, always have in mind how many amps will run through
- mechanical layout, heatsinking of outputs and drivers is first step, cause you don't wanna smoke them out
- please read this post and linked one and I suggest you to do the same

This far from me now, please process all info presented and be in touch, regards, Andrej
If i'm not wrong, I use only 2 width in my PCB, one for high current (over 5A), which have roughly 3mm width. and others are lower than 2A, which have 1mm width.

As in heatsink, I'm making similar to yours, which is inverted, folded to attach it at below.

As the post you told me to read is about the CCS ? Thinking to integrated into later version, which I want to listen its different.

Hide this!Advertise here!