Simple Symetrical Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Search for DestroyerX's threads!
You will feel as comfortable as being at home.
OK... will do
Invalid User specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

I think from what he says budget minded would prefer assembled & tested boards to which he can add a PSU & box etc - not sure what to recommend for this.
i'd prefer a completely built unit, but if there's a design that has adequate instructiions to build a design right and thatdoesn't assume i know a lot of "surprise" stuff like resistors are directional or all the in between steps hackers skip over in trying to solve a problem instead of covering EVERY single step instead of leaving me scratching my head as to where this missing "whatchamacallit button" is where the instructions leave me that isn't there, but hidden behind two more infuriating abstract layers that can't be figured out like where the missing piece in a mechanical device belongs.

what i want is a $500 amp that has acceptable high end sound that's neither lean and clinical, nor thick and lush... that just disappears like any good gear should. i keep running in circles where i think i find a giant killer like the benchmark DAC only to find "lavry is better than that, but paradesea is better than that, but minidac is betterthen that, but wait... minidac sucks because it's too thick and forgiving... and there i go back to square 1 pulling my hair out by the roots.

if i can get a world class amp for $500, i don't mind building it as long as i'm given EVERY piece of info needed to do it right, and don't need to buy that much in test equipment too to build it. i already have a soldering iron, a drill and basic tool set... that's all i'm willing to invest in to build a lifetime amp.

if i still had my superzeros, i might not even be here and would still be dealing with the soft treble that doesn't have the same sparkle as a good aluminum dome like B&W, paradigm or my nice energys.

if i can buy it with a return policy, i might get a kingrex class D & power supply. i love the high end look, class D in both sound and environmentalism, it's within my price range, and within shouting distance of the SKA according to 6 moons.

Last edited:
if i can get a world class amp for $500, i don't mind building it as long as i'm given EVERY piece of info needed to do it right, and don't need to buy that much in test equipment too to build it. i already have a soldering iron, a drill and basic tool set... that's all i'm willing to invest in to build a lifetime amp.

hi.

Click on the 'PeeCeeBee' link in my signature place. If you have access to etching tools or other ways of making your own pcb then this might well meet your needs. It's simple and requires minimal manual setting, doesn't sound 'fat' or 'clinical'. Me and a few fellows here have built it with success and like its music. You may like it too.

what's up with all the talk i keep seeing about tweaking bias etc. after the amp is built? i'd rather just get a kit that you build and be done with it with adequate instructions for someone whose never done anything more ambitious than solder speaker cables that thinks he could confidently build a speaker crossover as long as no resistors (have to be installed directionally, right?) are needed.

i was originally interested in DIY amps because of simple gainclones with just 9 parts. when i start seeing pics by people i'm guessing are more experienced than me asking if they mounted everything right, memories of my NAD blowing up when my subwoofer wires shorted come back. *pop pop pop*! flash and oh all that smoke

all the other talk about making changes to power rails and filtering too make me think this might be too big a project to attempt for me. my mind is allergic to abstractions. i understand mechanics much better as you can see what's going on.

Can you see what is going on inside a combustion chamber or the ecu that controls an engine ????? You can get a good idea by the use of physics and some equipment .
same is to be said for electronics.. An audio signal is a very complex signal and it is no mean feat to design and build an amplifier that sounds good ..
It takes knowlage and expirience . If you want a quick solution buy a complete amplifier kit.. or if budget is your main concern buy somthing ready made it will cost less . if it goes wrong it will have some sort of waranty..
The knolage and expirience on this forum is second to non .. Hell some of the best audio designers in the world hang out here and give an endless amount of imformation.. Diy audio is a very rewarding hobby. Just like any foreign language it is strange at first but if you need and want to learn it will take time and paitents ... And finally it is the loud speakers that give the largest tonal variations .. DO YOU HAVe a HOBBY?? ps i am a trained qualified mechanic . I find it boring compared with audio electronics. there is always somthing new to learn and discover but remember it will take TIME and Will make your head hurt at times .. However the rewards are plenty.. There is only one way to gain expirience.. Lots of newbies on here build amplifiers they had no expirience just like yourself but are now enjoying the fruits of there labour

Last edited:
if i can buy it with a return policy, i might get a kingrex class D & power supply. i love the high end look, class D in both sound and environmentalism, it's within my price range, and within shouting distance of the SKA according to 6 moons.

If you like class-D, I can't see a clear reason to look somewhere else. Class-D imo have strength and weakness. As long as you cannot see the weakness, all you have is the strength, an unbeatable strength.

If you like class-D, I can't see a clear reason to look somewhere else. Class-D imo have strength and weakness. As long as you cannot see the weakness, all you have is the strength, an unbeatable strength.

But wait a minute... Unless you have lived for quite a long time with class-D, you need to be sure that you know what you want. Class-D amps have that impressive hello effect. First moments you hear it you will be impressed. The question is whether you will enjoy it in the long run.

Class-D amps have that impressive hello effect. First moments you hear it you will be impressed. The question is whether you will enjoy it in the long run.
Remember the L.C. comments, comparing Nc400 with his own SSA:

"... can say firmly the amps are similar in a character and musical presentation in general. From there on subtle differences are noticable, some in a favour to NC400, some to SSA, have to be fair and honest. NC400 Class D modules are serious competitors to any existing linear amp not just to SSA, so let's wait and see what future will bring us."

With my personal tribute to L.C, his great talent as a designer, his great listening accuracy, and, most of all, his absolute honesty, witch is the key of his talent. I tend to prefer the natural fluidity of the SSA in extreme trebles, while the dynamic of the NC400 and some little details enhancements in the bass are hard to beat. Both of them are top of the art, and nothing like 'fatiguing' to be fear in the long run.
I believe SSA can beat the NC400 with great care around, like power supply stabilization with little paralleled caps and proper power wiring. A matter of microscopic details, reserved to washed DIYers.
Reason why i led Budget minded to Hypex, because he said he is a newbie and he wanted a ready to wire kit . I would not recommend SSA for a first time project.

Last edited:
Remember the L.C. comments, comparing Nc400 with his own SSA:

"... can say firmly the amps are similar in a character and musical presentation in general. From there on subtle differences are noticable, some in a favour to NC400, some to SSA, have to be fair and honest. NC400 Class D modules are serious competitors to any existing linear amp not just to SSA, so let's wait and see what future will bring us."

With my personal tribute to L.C, his great talent as a designer, his great listening accuracy

Honestly, when LC said he was going to compare SSA with NC400, I strongly believed that he would prefer NC400. Even now, I still think that he is not too honest saying no "winner" between the two.

Because I think I know what he hears and what he doesn't.

You know, his favorite BIGBT is not my favorite (listening to BIGBT is like listening to class-D. SSA BIGBT HP has been made to have the strength of a class-D amp, but I don't think it is there yet.). Even the cascaded VAS is not my cup of tea. Even the input cascode.

But let's call it taste or preference...

But let's call it taste or preference...
Indeed. I don't know the sound of the SSA BIGBT, but my SSA give-me all i am looking for:
Speed, dynamic, respect of micro details and space between instruments. As it is easy to separate instruments, it do not bring listening fatigue to me and i find not obvious signature. Can-be very harsh with harsh records and my horns, very soft and fluent with soft and fluent recordings. That what i am asking for.
Some can prefer amps witch 'sound good', like tube amps.

My ssa sounds honest.

Well, like christophe says it is fast and transparent. And like jay says this may well be the amp of my taste only and there is no guarrantee that my friends will like it.

I therefore will do the wise job by not placing my bet on the sound of it. But hey, I say, if you like SSA sound then you deserve it.

Honestly, when LC said he was going to compare SSA with NC400, I strongly believed that he would prefer NC400. Even now, I still think that he is not too honest saying no "winner" between the two.

Because I think I know what he hears and what he doesn't.

In the first place I bought NC400 to see where class D amps are nowadays and of course to compare it with SSA BIGBT.

At first I listened a lot to both and found a little more revealed details from NC400 but later (app. two moths) I played with VAS gain by omitting two 100 k VAS loading resistors, raise the gain to max and things starts to be much better than by NC400. SSA BIGBT is my best DIY amp so far but clearly that's going to change with CSA arrival. :yes:

I will build this one. (CSA) I wait with abated breath.

In the first place I bought NC400 to see where class D amps are nowadays and of course to compare it with SSA BIGBT.

At first I listened a lot to both and found a little more revealed details from NC400 but later (app. two moths) I played with VAS gain by omitting two 100 k VAS loading resistors, raise the gain to max and things starts to be much better than by NC400. SSA BIGBT is my best DIY amp so far but clearly that's going to change with CSA arrival. :yes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.