Dx Blame MKIII-Hx - Builder's thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all by the understanding...the comprehension of these things

The video was big..... Youtube rejected because of it's size.... well...i will manage how to split it in two.

Was not removed.... i have uploaded and them they rejected because too big...first they accept the long upload that took 3 hours..then they say cannot make it public..... aaaagh!..... was not really removed...was not accepted to be published because size.... the same happens here in electronic money cashier, these electronic banking machines we have everywhere....they use to say we have no money in our bank account when in the reality... THEY have not loaded the machine with money.... machine empty...this they do not say...they say your bank account has no money...aaaagh!...grrrrrr!

Mas que nada was nice...means something alike "let it be"...or ... "was not that way"

Wife will travell to Boston in August, and will bring me Marshmellow...... great!...we have not these things here....or we have...but 3 bucks by 25 grames is a hell expensive.... 1 ounce by three bucks?

Thank you Rudi, Cannonica and A. Wayne

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Carlos,
I love the amp, I don't argue about the design.
BUT: Although I use it daily for listening to music, it's my laboratory for testing ideas I got. To have a better understanding of it, of each component and their interaction. I'm not an electronic geek of any kind, I don't even have an oscilloscope, I'm just a curious guy that can imitate others. That's what I am, an imitator, a monkey that can hold a soldering iron... I just imitated, like every other, by taking someone else's design, another else's pre-etched board and soldered some components over it. I avoided any mistakes and IT worked.

Now that it works, I want to learn more about it. I did it some 20 years ago with an old car I bought, I wanted to know how it worked... well, I opened the hood and started dismantling some parts, then putting everything back together... I did it many times, going some steps further everytime until I stipped-down and rebuilt the engine completely.

You KNOW that it sounds good. you KNOW that some people's beliefs make them hear it wrong. Let them aside, let them be, be proud of your design, I'm proud of it myself.

Everytime some people comes visit me I show them the amp, they listen to it and I tell them the tale about that crazy brazilian guy that has designed more than 6000 amps, and blew at least half of them. :):):) You're part of the story, ain't that something good?!?

Everybody that comes to my home are impressed by its sound and its POWER!!! POWAAAHHH!!!

Carlos, I owe you a bunch of my electronic knowledge.
And damn I love your style, hahahahaha!!! Your messages and your method of passing messages are just great.

But now seriously, do I need to increase the miller cap? (haaaaaaahahahaha!!! I just wanted to taunt you with that one) I can have humour sometimes...
;)

Martin.

I have sent you a message explaining this Compensation capacitor stuff

You can increase it as it will increase stability.... and depending how you increase you may have troubles in the 100 kilohertz waveform that may bother your cat...not you.

Just do not decrease it.... small increasings respecting one or two steps above will not be a trouble.

Here you have a series of values.... starting from 33 pf

33, 47, 56, 68, 82, 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, 270, 330, 390, 470, 560, 680...and continuing.

Two steps above 150pf is 220pf....doing this way you may not distort a sinusoidal shape signal that enters your amplifier...but who cares about that frequency...maybe your cat.

regards,

Carlos

I have tested the Dx Super A into the simulator..to use together the MKIII Hx

I have not approved....too much hot...too many modifications..... i am adapting it to test together the MKIII Hx but with reduced power (41 plus 41V supplies) because easier to me as i have one unit assembled.

The MKIII Hx uses high voltage supply, and some of you are using even more volts than the suggested value..... so, if we try 500 mA as stand by current start up at class A biasing..then we may have too much heat...not a good idea as this amplifier is already hot..... i could see the heatsinks people will use and i do not thing they are good enough even to the standard operation at full power..... if we increase bias till 10 or 20 watts, tracking the operation in class A (high bias)..then we will have much more troubles than we want.

I am uploading a video showing that i have simulated and that worked with some modifications because the VAS current is bigger in this model..... i have to try real life and i gonna do it next week i think...

Will assemble a spider type circuit to connect it to the MKIII Hx reduced power i have already made....to be easier to me.

This stuff is good to lower power units.... the high power amplifiers already have a couple of watts (sometimes one or two) while in class A because of their stand by bias.... the power consumption in stand by mode will be able to generate non switching audio for 1 or 2 watts RMS .

If you want you can try.... i have not succed to adjust this thing to smaller currents than 500 miliamperes....my circuit is not accepting this well.... if you want you can try under your own risk...but put a camera for us to see..sometimes this smokes a lot and you can became an Youtube champion of hits...people loves this stuff exploding.

Ahahahahahah

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Reduced power MKIII Hx.... 41 volts supplies.jpg
    Reduced power MKIII Hx.... 41 volts supplies.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 548
Stability and Gain Issues

Nope. Unable to simulate the instability. I even updated transistors SPICE simulation models in my simulator with the ones from the manufacturer's itself (I use OnSemi).

Although the transistors weren't matched, I ordered them from a big well-renowned USA reseller, so I doubt they'Re counterfeit...

Well, even though my "high bias" test were not conclusive, I still like the quality of what I hear at the low bias setting.

I just completed some mods on my first board and thought I'd pass them on to the forum. I had also encountered some odd stability problems on my first build although they were not related to bias. Instead the amp would go into oscillation as soon as I connected an 8 ohm load. With no load it seemed stable. Since I was interested in lowering the gain anyway I experimented with changes to the IPS and feedback factor in Spice. I ended up with the following component changes:

R4 a&b 100
R6 150
R1 and R11 12k4
R9 470
R3 2k7 and C4 470pf (per Cannonica)
No change to Cdom

I should mention that my build has 4 output pairs and 50v rails under load. I also moved the output coil and resistor off the board to the speaker term.

The amp now produces full output at 1.25v in. Lowest measured distortion was achieved with bias set to give 64.7 mv across 2 emitter resistors! I won't quote the number because I don't fully trust my sound card based distortion measurements. However it does reliably show changes up and down.

Stability seems fine. See the attached scope shot of 10Khz sq. wave (vert. scale is actually 10v/division). The main heat sink at this bias is only warm to the touch. The VAS and CCS sinks aren't even warm.

But the best part is the sound. The amp sounds fantastic. I have built and still have a Leach Double Barrel and a Randy Slone 120 watt amp. Although I haven't done an A/B comparison of either to the Blame it sounds every bit as good to my ears.

Thank you Carlos and all contributors to the thread for your work on this project.

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 448
Hey John.... i remember you!

It is awesome to see you around.... so long time man.

I am glad you still have the audiococus frequenciae inside your blood...the only bacteria penicillin cannot kill.

Audiococus (a kind of sonic addicted staphilococus) frequenciae is the only body invader that is resistant to time, disappointment, it shielded against hatters, also protected against envy, jealousy, evil spirits, karma, bad spirits, vodôo, hot beer, coke without gaz, cold cheeseburger, big magic, frozzen coffee and melted icecream...... grand positive guys and grand negative guys does not influence it's multiplication and it is active in full spectrum not needing to split the badwidth.:eek:

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Audiococus frequenciae.jpg
    Audiococus frequenciae.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
Hi Steve,

You also have first listened to the original, or have you measured first and then the changes have been made.
I am curious to the differences in sound quality before de changes and after the changes.
Steve, thanks for sharing the information and modifications here on the forum.

Please let me know, are there more people who have made these modifications, after listened to the originaal?

Regards,
Rudy

Last edited:
Someone have asked me to produce some boards to distribute to the community

I understood what he intended to make using my own references..... i was thinking was for free...or almost no profit...some contribution...... was someone from UK i think.

The guy did it and asked me i i want one board to test.... i said OK and he sent me one board for testing purposes...the same board made by Meanman and the US guy too (sorry, my 61 years old and i forgot the name)

So, there is a man, do not remember the name, from UK i think, that made some boards.... this may be the guy he is talking about.... that guy was authorized by me... was not what i had in mind when i said ok...but it is true that i said OK to someone.

The guy have asked me (circuit design) and i said OK, but he have not asked permission to Alex mm (pcboard design) .... If Alex complain..then the guy should stop.

No problems Joseph..... let it be..... there are thousands of pcboards made in China and being distributed.... i do not care.... i can make much more amplifiers, and faster then they can copy... also i am not making my living from this.

It is all right..all sweet.... all fine.

Be happy..... and healthy my dear friend Evette.

regards,

Carlos

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.