Dx Blame MKIII-Hx - Builder's thread - Page 68 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2011, 01:06 PM   #671
Vigier is offline Vigier  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

14V might be a little high indead. Probably a few volts less is also good enough, I'd have to calculate the necessary extra voltage. A 45V trafo would give 64V, that might even be high enough.
Old 24th December 2011, 01:27 PM   #672
diyAudio Member

Vigier, Those trannies at the schematic that's a misprint the original uses the mjl 4281A/4302A pairs
Old 24th December 2011, 03:18 PM   #673
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

56Vdc could easily be had from a 40Vac transformer. I get 58.5Vdc from a nominal 240Vac.
Adding 5Vac on top of that to give 63Vdc to 66Vdc is plenty to allow for a regulated front end that holds at +-56Vdc irrespective of the output power or the mains voltage.

Unless you add in anti-stick of output after overload, and/or add soft clipping in the earlier stages and ensure you don't saturate the output stages during overload, then I don't believe there is any quality advantage to raising the front end voltage.

A stable unvarying front end voltage is to me far more important, than extra high unclipped transient capability in the voltage amplifier.
Old 24th December 2011, 03:36 PM   #674
diyAudio Member

Default Dear Vigier... the single dual supply is not only to save money

The reason i have used is because several folks that use to assemble my amplifiers, dos not have high tech know how...they are audio fanatic like us..but some of them may hold the soldering iron in such a way to burn their fingers..some of them are not skilled.

When you have a single supply you use diodes or resistors to separate the main supply, the one feed the output transistors, from a secondary line that will feed the input circuitry... this is not only to "create a fake second supply".... these diodes there are there to impeach guys to burn the whole thing inverting the supply polarity.... when you have diodes, even inverting, your amplifier will survive..without diodes...hehehehehehehe

Sometimes we do not rediscover the power without smoke because we need to see the smoke.

Of course we all know dual supply is a better idea...if was not suggested or implemented is because there are reasons...and now i am explaining you the main reason... safety

Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

I am showing a video about my lovely daughters (down this post in the signature line)..... and i had 70 compliments and one (1) complain...maybe the one complained does not like girls... reason why i am posting my son to make the guy happy.

ahahahahaha!

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Filha e filho.jpg (194.4 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 24th December 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 24th December 2011, 07:30 PM   #675
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigier View Post
14V might be a little high indead. Probably a few volts less is also good enough, I'd have to calculate the necessary extra voltage. A 45V trafo would give 64V, that might even be high enough.
I'm doing similar , except I intend on running the VAS stage at 45volts not 64 and the outputs at 32 with 40% more outputs than the original. Similar to your 14 volt spread, except 64volts sounds a bit much for the Vas .

regards ,

Ps: Carlos dats hillarious ..........

Last edited by a.wayne; 24th December 2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 24th December 2011, 07:48 PM   #676
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanman1964 View Post
Vigier, Those trannies at the schematic that's a misprint the original uses the mjl 4281A/4302A pairs
Secret misprint ... Who else running mjl 4281A/4302A , to my knowledge most are running the others.

Regards,
Old 24th December 2011, 08:09 PM   #677
alex mm is offline alex mm  Romania
diyAudio Member

Merry Christmas to all of you and a Happy new year
Alex.
Old 24th December 2011, 08:53 PM   #678
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you Alex mm ... for you too and to all forum friends.

Here we have a video made by the SMPS forum owner (Sami)...he is testing the MKIII Hx with a SMPS unit.

In the comment area i told him something he must observe...please, watching the video take a look in the comments section below the video.

20111224014703 - YouTube

regards,

Carlos
Old 24th December 2011, 09:33 PM   #679
Vigier is offline Vigier  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
I'm doing similar , except I intend on running the VAS stage at 45volts not 64 and the outputs at 32 with 40% more outputs than the original. Similar to your 14 volt spread, except 64volts sounds a bit much for the Vas .

regards ,

Ps: Carlos dats hillarious ..........
64V too much for the Vas? But at 64V in the original design it would run on about 62.5V... That's not much of a difference, is it? On the other hand, I don't really need >400W RMS output power. I use B&W 804's as front speakers. 200W @ 8 Ohms is enough, but it has an impedance dip to 3 Ohms.
I'll think about it. Next week I'll receive the PCB's from meanman, than I'll start thinking about what I'm really going to do, since my first plan was to make a 6 channel amp with Thel Accusound 100's. Now I want 6 channels of the Blame MKIII... In one (!) case: ModuShop's Pesante Dissipante 5U/500mm . That's another reason that I want less dissipation. Maybe start with 2 channels to know whether I like it more than the Accusounds....

@Carlos & all the others: merry christmas!
If I didn't already have a girlfriend I'd move over to Brasil....

Regards, Joris

Last edited by Vigier; 24th December 2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 25th December 2011, 11:04 AM   #680
diyAudio Member

Carlos,
Can you tell us how to set the bias and deal with the offset.And how is the best way over emiter or use a powerrail resistor?
I did get several requests regarding this.

Hide this!Advertise here!