Dx Blame MKIII-Hx - Builder's thread - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2011, 12:56 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Default Here you have the star ground... the traditional way

You see the white thick line is the transformer secondary center tap...it is not made as the star ground central point.... was used a more centralized idea..and works perfectly both ways.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Star ground.jpg (179.5 KB, 1188 views)
Old 23rd August 2011, 06:16 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Default How to connect audio cables to you Dx amplifier volume control

Video shows:

Volume control to Dx amplifiers - YouTube

regards,

Carlos
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:05 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Default How to wire your power supply for MKIII-Hx

Here you have instructions:

How to wire a supply for MKIII-Hx - YouTube

regards,

Carlos
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:06 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Default Now a days, videos are the main support you have...of course

the thread has informs too and i am here to answer your questions...but in this video, 25 minutes position, you have how to adjust your MKIII-Hx amplifier.

Monologue detailing the MKIII-Hx power audio amp. - YouTube

In the future i put instructions at Greg pages, but not immediately as i have to assemble and produce pictures.

regards,

Carlos
Old 25th August 2011, 01:26 PM   #35
BMW850 is offline BMW850  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Heatsinks

Can I use this heatsink or is this one too small ?
250x40x150mm, 0,44 K/W

They also have another type (300x40x150mm, 0,35 K/W)that is somewhat larger but those other (250x40x150mm, 0,44 K/W) is better in my cabinet.

Sorry that I ask, because I don't know how this is to calculate.

Regards,
Rudy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heatsink-sk91150sa.jpg (83.3 KB, 1069 views)
Old 26th August 2011, 10:57 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Default I will study your heatsink....but for a while, about transistors

transistors suggested to use together Dx amplifiers are these models attached as picture..these ones where tested...they are reliable.

This was posted in many places, also video was made suggesting I know that in our board layout we have other transistors suggested…but the ones I do point as “tested units” are the ones you see in the attached picture.

The problem is that i have not these more modern models in my simulator, reason why the schematic produced by the simulator are showing different transistors compared to the ones i suggest..the ones i have used to test my amplifiers, the ones i trust the most, because stronger than others.

These power transistors are alike cousin, they belong to a family... their characteristics and specifications are not all that different...they compete offering almost the same performance.....but these ones are one of the best, top performers, to this case style..... for a while, because soon will be beat too.

The suggested transistors, are the ones accept to work with a little bit more current with our voltage supply of 63 volts, they are good for amplifiers from 50 to 70 volts as they deliver high current under this voltage....more than several others... reason why they where selected in order for you to overdrive your amplifier while using 2 ohms loads.... as you will distort, will reach 1 kilowatt or more of power without destroy the output transistors....this is good...this is reliable...even if someone decide to push the amplifier hard..even if speaker coil starts to short nearby windings and reduce the impedance...even this way the amplifier may survive... reliability was the intention when i have selected these transistors....but of course, other models may fit too.

These ones you bought are good too...but not that good to face 2 ohms... i do think they will work with 4 ohms in a very comfortable way...so.... these transistors pointed are not wrong...they are just less powerful.

If you will not push your amplifier hard..if your speakers are not that powerful..if you do not like distorted music, if your application is hobby, home music...then these transistors pointed in the schematic will be good.

But if you will distort, push the amplifier hard, if you will install series and parallel connections of multiple speakers, PA applications, parties, clubs, meetings, big halls needing powerfull sound, cinema, outdoor uses, heavy duty applications, rock bands, theater and so on..then it is better to use the heavy duty transistors, giant heatsinks, fan blowers and boards with speaker protection too.

No...these does not sound better.... this usually does not happens or we usually do not listen advantage from model to model..only instruments use to perceive..some advantages in high frequency can happens but you will notice only if you compare one channel with a transistor model with another channel using other transistor model..differences are but are not that big....this selection is for reliability..not for sonics.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Suggested power transistors to Dx amplifiers.jpg (257.3 KB, 962 views)
Old 26th August 2011, 11:32 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Default Your heatsink is good for 200 watts continuous

or 400 watts of music power.... say.... a 400 watts power amplifier playing at normal undistorted levels may work fine with your heatsink.

So, two units alike that will be good to the blue are...so...if you will use 4 ohms you cannot go deep into distortions or you gonna have overheat and output transistors may be destroyed.

The red area is the one where you will not be able to be operating...so...to use these heatsinks, externally, one each enclosure side, you will have to buy two 550 watts (550VA) transformers, or a single supply having a 1.1 kilowatt transformer.

Condensers will be 25000uf plus 25000uf to each channel or if you use a single supply, then your condensers will be 50 thousand plus 50 thousand microfarads....your fuses will be 5 plus 5A to each power amplifier rails..and the output fuse will be 10 amperes to each channel....your input fuse, to your transformer primary will be 4A at 120 volts and if you use a single supply, then your mains fuse, to the transformer primary winding will be 8A.

Transformer can be the limiting factor..use it as limiting factor because your heatsink is really small.

So, because your heatsinks (2 units)...you amplifier will be a 200 plus 200 watts RMS amplifier at 8 ohms or a 340 plus 340W power amplifier (4 ohms) having low distorted peaks at 400 plus 400W (4 ohms).

This gonna be your specification... a conservative ratio.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A.jpg (117.8 KB, 916 views)
File Type: jpg B.jpg (88.2 KB, 785 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 26th August 2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 26th August 2011, 02:57 PM   #38
BMW850 is offline BMW850  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for your explanation, let's see if I can find a larger heatsink otherwise I continue simply to this one.

Regards,
Rudy
Old 26th August 2011, 07:48 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default I am uploading video about it

So, you will be able to figure out when a heatsink is good and for what power it is good.

Link will be posted here.

regards,

Carlos
Old 26th August 2011, 08:20 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Default Heatsink dimensions, how to figure out their capabilities

here:

Heatsink dimensions, how to figure out their capabilities - YouTube

regards,

Carlos

Hide this!Advertise here!