Dx Blame MKIII-Hx - Builder's thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems we all love the stuff...audio and girls!

I have a friend, my best friend.... 22 years of good friendship...he always worked at the airport for Exon Mobil Aviation and other companies.

He is the man responsible to Kerosene, the aviation fuel previous preparation...there are filters to remove water.... Kerosene cannot have water because water turns into ice and this stuck the fuel pipes.... the Kerosene i am talking about is the same aviation fuel, but this one is not 100% pure... this one is not aviation fuel, it is almost the same if you think it in an atomic base.

Muchachas?... mucho me gusta (girls?... i love them... a lot!)

I have three single daughters...all them just to have the College degree... sweet girls.... different skin color and i am searching for veterans to marry them. (kidding) ... each one of them have enormous apartment in front of the sea...nice and wealthy lovely sweet girls (real)

My people is friendly folks....here, even fishes comes to your hands..you do not need to fish them out from the sea...they come into your hands.

Wanna be happy like us?... then build a Dx amplifier ...they are good even if you play them upside down alike the picture posted.

ahahahahaha!:)

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Porto de Galinhas - PE - Brasil (1).jpg
    Porto de Galinhas - PE - Brasil (1).jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 461
  • Porto de Galinhas - PE - Brasil (2).jpg
    Porto de Galinhas - PE - Brasil (2).jpg
    577 KB · Views: 461
  • Wanna be happy.jpg
    Wanna be happy.jpg
    699.9 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Merry Christmas to all of you.

In my heart, the presence of my daughters is the best gift i can have.

I will have an excellent Christmas boys.

Enjoy scenes from Brasil.... Northeast of Brasil.... State of Pernambuco, town is Recife...the beach is Porto de Galinhas (chicken port because ships arrived filled till the top with slaves from Africa...they use to say the ship was loaded with chickens) ....now the chicks there are much more interesting...but careful about my sweet girls, i have a double barreled shot gun 12 gauge.:)

Charlie daughters in Recife - Porto de Galinhas - YouTube

regards,

Carlos

Hi,

I've been following this thread for a while and meanman made me even more enthousiastic. Since you need quite a large heatsink for this amp, why don't you/we use a separate powersupply for the voltage section?
The 2 1N4007's will drop the voltage with 1,5 to 2 V's, that means more dissipation for the current section. With a lower voltage --> less dissipation --> maybe one set of output devices less. Reason I'd like that is to make the PCB smaller than 25cm, that would fit better in the casing.
I changed a few things in the schematic of Carlos:
  • 69V power supply
  • Extra capacitor for current section
  • MJL4281/MJL4302 (230W instead of 200W) for current section
Maybe I dropped the voltage of the current section a little too much, but can anyone comment on this schematic?

Greatings, Joris

Attachments

• DX Blame MKIII-Hx Vigier double supply.png
    DX Blame MKIII-Hx Vigier double supply.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 333
I understand the need for high front end voltage.
It helps prevent clipping in the voltage amplifier stage whenever a high level transient comes along.

I also understand the desire to reduce heat load and electrical stress on the output stage by keeping the supply voltage as low as your desired maximum Vpk output allows.

I can't understand why you show a 14V difference between the front and back end supplies.
Will a clean unclipped signal coming from the front end cause the output stage transistors to go into saturation?
Will the output stage come out of saturation quickly?
Will the 14V overhead make for better audio quality when high level transients pass through?

I don't know all the answers, but I do know that someone needs those answers before making that decision.

56Vdc could easily be had from a 40Vac transformer. I get 58.5Vdc from a nominal 240Vac.
Adding 5Vac on top of that to give 63Vdc to 66Vdc is plenty to allow for a regulated front end that holds at +-56Vdc irrespective of the output power or the mains voltage.

Unless you add in anti-stick of output after overload, and/or add soft clipping in the earlier stages and ensure you don't saturate the output stages during overload, then I don't believe there is any quality advantage to raising the front end voltage.

A stable unvarying front end voltage is to me far more important, than extra high unclipped transient capability in the voltage amplifier.

Dear Vigier... the single dual supply is not only to save money

The reason i have used is because several folks that use to assemble my amplifiers, dos not have high tech know how...they are audio fanatic like us..but some of them may hold the soldering iron in such a way to burn their fingers..some of them are not skilled.

When you have a single supply you use diodes or resistors to separate the main supply, the one feed the output transistors, from a secondary line that will feed the input circuitry... this is not only to "create a fake second supply".... these diodes there are there to impeach guys to burn the whole thing inverting the supply polarity.... when you have diodes, even inverting, your amplifier will survive..without diodes...hehehehehehehe:D

Sometimes we do not rediscover the power without smoke because we need to see the smoke.

Of course we all know dual supply is a better idea...if was not suggested or implemented is because there are reasons...and now i am explaining you the main reason... safety

Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

I am showing a video about my lovely daughters (down this post in the signature line)..... and i had 70 compliments and one (1) complain...maybe the one complained does not like girls... reason why i am posting my son to make the guy happy.

ahahahahaha!:smash:

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• Filha e filho.jpg
    Filha e filho.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
14V might be a little high indead. Probably a few volts less is also good enough, I'd have to calculate the necessary extra voltage. A 45V trafo would give 64V, that might even be high enough.

I'm doing similar , except I intend on running the VAS stage at 45volts not 64 and the outputs at 32 with 40% more outputs than the original. Similar to your 14 volt spread, except 64volts sounds a bit much for the Vas .

regards ,

Ps: Carlos dats hillarious ......:rofl::rofl:....:)

Last edited:
Thank you Alex mm ... for you too and to all forum friends.

Here we have a video made by the SMPS forum owner (Sami)...he is testing the MKIII Hx with a SMPS unit.

In the comment area i told him something he must observe...please, watching the video take a look in the comments section below the video.

20111224014703 - YouTube

regards,

Carlos

I'm doing similar , except I intend on running the VAS stage at 45volts not 64 and the outputs at 32 with 40% more outputs than the original. Similar to your 14 volt spread, except 64volts sounds a bit much for the Vas .

regards ,

Ps: Carlos dats hillarious ......:rofl::rofl:....:)
64V too much for the Vas? But at 64V in the original design it would run on about 62.5V... That's not much of a difference, is it? On the other hand, I don't really need >400W RMS output power. I use B&W 804's as front speakers. 200W @ 8 Ohms is enough, but it has an impedance dip to 3 Ohms.
I'll think about it. Next week I'll receive the PCB's from meanman, than I'll start thinking about what I'm really going to do, since my first plan was to make a 6 channel amp with Thel Accusound 100's. Now I want 6 channels of the Blame MKIII... In one (!) case: ModuShop's Pesante Dissipante 5U/500mm . That's another reason that I want less dissipation. Maybe start with 2 channels to know whether I like it more than the Accusounds....

@Carlos & all the others: merry christmas!
If I didn't already have a girlfriend I'd move over to Brasil....

Regards, Joris

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.