Dx Blame MKIII-Hx - Builder's thread - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2011, 01:23 PM   #221
diyAudio Member

Default Already made SoftStart

Because I couldn't find any open group-buy for a softstart, I've searched something "ready-to-run" and found this: Softstart

They also have speaker protection circuits that seems to fit what I need in that matter. One unit is good for two channels. I worry about the channel separation, but at that price I 'm gonna order two of them, one per channel: LS-Prot
Seems to be what I need. I've not ordered yet though.

Martin.

Last edited by canonnica; 8th October 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 8th October 2011, 03:14 PM   #222
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Rudi...

Thanks for the microchip ... errr pic of your setup ... .. .. On a serious note, Rudi's dx BOM was de bomb , best one i have seen todate, instructions were spot on and an easy read ...

Tops Rudi ....
Old 8th October 2011, 04:04 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

Rudy,
Thank you for the offer to send me the Eagle files for your softstart board. After the last group buy, I'm pretty much burned-out on group buys. They are a lot of work. Also, as soon as I got my first response, I ordered the Elliot Sound Products softstart boards right away.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:50 AM   #224
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up My slow progress

I had a few distractions keeping me from my amplifier. I can't complain. One of them was a cousin's wedding .

I was able to power up and set the bias current to 4.4V. I didn't want to build a bulb tester (I think of it more as impatience than laziness) but everyone in the thread, and everything I read about power supplies said "BULD A BULB TESTER! BUILD A BULB TESTER!" So, fine, I spent an afternoon building a bulb tester from spare parts from home-improvement projects.

I had the board powered up with the 100R resistors for quite a while as I set the bias andchecked for excessive heat. Only those 2 transistors in the middle of the board got hot - the ones Carlos said would get hot. I didn't have heatsinks on them because I didn't think ahead to buy nylon screws, and didn't want to risk an accidental short. When the nylon screws arrive Wednesday, I'll try putting an 8 ohm resistor across the speaker terminals. If all goes well, it will make some noise through a speaker tomorrow!

Here's the link to the chassis I chose.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
It's made by Par-Metal, even though it's not listed on their web site. Only sold through e-bay. Everything will just barely fit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 working channel.JPG (103.7 KB, 496 views)
Old 12th October 2011, 12:54 AM   #225
diyAudio Member

Default These transistors cannot operate without heatsink

You may burn them Byron.

regards,

Carlos
Old 12th October 2011, 01:17 AM   #226
diyAudio Member

yikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you aren't really ? are you ?
Old 12th October 2011, 01:22 AM   #227
diyAudio Member

and dang , i have a variac , but still use a bulb tester with it . any mistake can wipe out all that hard work in seconds . the bulb liting bright and you shutting the power off can save your *** .
Old 12th October 2011, 11:15 AM   #228
Junie is offline Junie  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker Prot

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer X View Post
You see the white thick line is the transformer secondary center tap...it is not made as the star ground central point.... was used a more centralized idea..and works perfectly both ways.

regards,

Carlos
Hello Uncle Charlie, I want to use Migs Nabuco speaker prot as shown in below photo (enclosed in blue). Please let me know any modification in protection circuit so it will work in Blame MkIII. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spkr prot.JPG (184.6 KB, 470 views)
Old 12th October 2011, 01:02 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Default I have used this board only once .... i cannot remember details

So, if you have any doubt, then go to Mitchel and he will gladly help you:

miguelnabuco@terra.com.br

Mitchel was in charge to provide schematic, board layout, pcboards and support to this protector and also a surge unit that was offered only to Brazilians (surge)... then, latter and inside this same forum, he offered protector together the blue boards for the Supercharged (multimodel pcboard) and he supressed the surge board because of copyright issues... and have maintained the protector boards being offered in group buys in Brasil and also in this forum.... he was in charge to explain, to give support, follow up and guarantee of reliability to these extra boards...i have just asked him to test prior to deliver to the ones have ordered and i have built and tested myself too..... so... i do not know details about.... Miguel Nabuco (Mitchel) is the one is responsible by these boards....none of these boards are available.

I have made minor changes to use higher voltage supply, i suppose BC transistors will fit.....maybe you will need to replace using 2N5551/2N5401 or other higher voltage, general purpose, transistors.

If you have these boards, then observe the BC546/556 have colector and emitter pins inverted one related the other.... watching the transistor in the reading position (leads downwards) the BC546/556 is readed as colector-base-emitter...and the 2N5401/5551 is readed as emitter-base-colector.

These boards are made to use one board to protect a single channel.... so, to have stereo you will need two of these boards... relay is a 24 volts unit... and you will need a huge relay because your audio current will be really big... if not easy to find a good relay, then use these original relay contacts to swith another bigger relay coil..then you should wire your speaker into that second bigger relay.

Condenser C7 must be a 64 volts or higher insulating voltage unit.... series pass transistor may dissipate 4.5 watts, so, it will need a heatsink.

Thermal sensor can be supressed...i am using without the thermal sensor.

I am attaching an image.

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Protector.jpg (385.3 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg Multimodel - the Supercharged blue board.jpg (755.7 KB, 426 views)

Last edited by destroyer X; 12th October 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12th October 2011, 01:27 PM   #230
Junie is offline Junie  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for your early reply.

In the schematic you posted the AC input directly connected from the transformer secondary, do i need to change the value of R1? I've seen the protection circuit used before in Blame mkII supercharge or even Blame ST and using it in MkIII which is obviously with higher AC voltage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Protector migs.jpg (147.3 KB, 373 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!