Dx Blame MKIII-Hx - Builder's thread - Page 170 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2013, 10:23 PM   #1691
mcd99uk is online now mcd99uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Carlos,

Thank you for the reply. I know you go on about perception. Is a case of perception when it comes to choosing output devices regarding sound.

Fortunately, I have the MJL4281 pair in my components box the I obtained as samples a few years back. I shall be building this amp at the weekend.

There are bigger more powerful devices available from semelab but if the datasheets are to be believed they appear to have sacrificed speed and linearity for output current. Also, not sure if I believe you can have a 400W device in a TO3P package.
Old 6th March 2013, 10:27 PM   #1692
diyAudio Member

Default Want high end...want shinny treble..then use Sankens

here you see a beautifull MKIII Hx at one minute exactly.

I am not sure if Sankens will fit in this pcboard...maybe not...but for treble they are the best.... others are all almost the same...small differences.... MJL4281A looks to produce nice bass.... but this may be my imagination only.

I am using these transistors into my PC monitoring amplifier...the treble cuts the air alike a razor..alike a lash of a whip... fast and precise....lovely sound.

Be happy! - alegria não tem preço - YouTube

regards,

Carlos

Last edited by destroyer X; 6th March 2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 6th March 2013, 10:35 PM   #1693
mcd99uk is online now mcd99uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Shiny treble. Yes, that is what I'm after. Sanken must have something in the T03P or TO264 package that would be suitable. I'm willing to sacrifice some of the brute power for SQ.

Not too concerned with bass since the plan is to use the amps in a 3 way active setup with equalised sub woofers. Currently I have leach amps running and fancy a change.

Research will commence.
Old 6th March 2013, 11:15 PM   #1694
diyAudio Member

Default Here you have Sanken image....there are other models

But these ones i have at my home and i have tested them.

Oui...commence!

regards,

Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011032940889625.jpg (83.0 KB, 473 views)
Old 25th March 2013, 02:15 PM   #1695
wiljj78 is offline wiljj78  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default Nice... SANKEN I love this transistors...

I will try this MK III using SANKEN for my subs....to experience and feel how powerful this amp.

Regards,
Old 10th April 2013, 09:01 PM   #1696
diyAudio Member

Default My Old DX MKIII been modified and here's the new look

I really like the performance of this amp in terms of Power, Bass, Mid and treble, but when I try to fix inside the box I realize there is no enough space on the box if the output transistors are in horizontal position, and the VAS transistors are very hot, I try to install a big heat sink but I’m not happy if the heat sink is not mounted on the board, I feel the leads of the transistor will not last long, so I decided to make a little modification base on Alexmm layout to suit my needs, now this amp is perfect for my needs, now temp on VAS transistor are stable even without cooling fan. Very cool amp I really like it…..

Below you can see the image before (in horizontal output) and after modification it's in vertical position with adequate heasink in VAS transistors the remaning are the big caps to finish my 1st channel, now this amp is singing with +/-80VDC.
My next step is to assemble the second channel to drive my subs together with my DX Super A …..
Regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old DX MKIII HX.JPG (796.6 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0014.JPG (695.2 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0007.JPG (717.1 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0006.JPG (644.4 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0002.JPG (666.0 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by wiljj78; 10th April 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 7th May 2013, 02:37 PM   #1697
diyAudio Member

Talking excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiljj78 View Post
I really like the performance of this amp in terms of Power, Bass, Mid and treble, but when I try to fix inside the box I realize there is no enough space on the box if the output transistors are in horizontal position, and the VAS transistors are very hot, I try to install a big heat sink but I’m not happy if the heat sink is not mounted on the board, I feel the leads of the transistor will not last long, so I decided to make a little modification base on Alexmm layout to suit my needs, now this amp is perfect for my needs, now temp on VAS transistor are stable even without cooling fan. Very cool amp I really like it…..

Below you can see the image before (in horizontal output) and after modification it's in vertical position with adequate heasink in VAS transistors the remaning are the big caps to finish my 1st channel, now this amp is singing with +/-80VDC.
My next step is to assemble the second channel to drive my subs together with my DX Super A …..
Regards,
very nice work, very nice work,hermoso acabado
Old 30th June 2013, 11:18 PM   #1698
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiljj78 View Post

Regards,
Wow, do you have enough transformers?
Old 1st July 2013, 08:50 PM   #1699
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
Wow, do you have enough transformers?
Those 8 boys are enough to do their job....

8 X 28VAC / 300VAC each...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0064.JPG (663.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0007.JPG (857.1 KB, 106 views)
Old 8th July 2013, 12:45 AM   #1700
diyAudio Member

Default My try at a PCB

Thanks DX and the rest of the community for a very interesting project.

Here's my try at a PCB. It takes much inspiration from the very nice official layout by Alex MM. I just wanted to have some fun trying my hand at it.

* It is slightly narrower at 10 inchces (254mm) vs. 265 mm to accommodate my anticpated heat sink which is only 10 inches wide
* The zobel inductor is intendend to be mounted with the axis of winding perpendicular to the board

Question:
The recommended voltage is +/- 64V. If one had a 50v transformer giving a rectified voltage of about 72v, would that cause a problem?
Attached Images
File Type: png DX Blame MKIII HX sch.png (141.3 KB, 118 views)
File Type: png DX Blame MKIII HX pcb.png (269.7 KB, 123 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DX Blame MKIII HX sch.pdf (82.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf DX Blame MKIII HX pcb.pdf (174.2 KB, 63 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!