Dx Blame MKIII-Hx - Builder's thread - Page 109 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th February 2012, 05:35 PM   #1081
BMW850 is offline BMW850  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junie View Post
now i cannot find a 100V in a small package for the capacitor circled in red, can i use a 100uF/50v?
Hi Junie,

I hope this helps, drawing from Carlos.
I use 100volt caps.

Regards,
Rudy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap.voltage.jpg (358.0 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by BMW850; 25th February 2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 25th February 2012, 07:08 PM   #1082
evette is offline evette  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to evette
Of course you can. Evette
Old 25th February 2012, 08:03 PM   #1083
diyAudio Member

Junie, the rating for that capacitor as been established as per if something goes wrong with some of the transistor (I don't recall which one) Carlos has commented it in one of his videos. It's facing very low voltage under normal condition. Mine is 63V
Old 26th February 2012, 01:28 AM   #1084
Junie is offline Junie  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Cool, thanks.
Old 27th February 2012, 06:27 PM   #1085
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've changed 390R resistance to a 2.2 K resistor.
changing the lower NFB resistor from 390r to 2k2 changes the gain margin and phase margin of the closed loop amplifier.

The amplifier is bound to perform differently, before an after the feedback change.

BMW,
your test and reported conclusion are completely flawed.
Your description of the modification is correct and confirms you are listening to two different amplifiers that by design must perform differently.
Old 27th February 2012, 06:36 PM   #1086
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

That 100uF capacitor that is the DC block in the NFB path could be a 3Vdc component and the amplifier would still perform well.

If one wants to ensure that the low voltage cap in this blocking position is never abused then add a diode across it so that worst case DC voltage across it is <1Vdc.
You can also add an inverse diode across this same capacitor to protect it from voltage abuse (when something goes wrong) from the other polarity.

Some will report that higher voltage electrolytics perform better than lower voltage electrolytics when passing audio signals.
This DC blocking capacitor should have near zero DC voltage across it, when the amplifier is operating properly and should also have near zero AC voltage across it when the amplifier is operating properly.

A DC blocking capacitor that has no DC voltage and no AC voltage across it cannot contribute to the distortion that the amplifier creates.
i.e. A properly sized DC blocking capacitor cannot be heard.
Make it big and use low voltage if the space/cost requires that.
Use the input capacitors to limit the bandwidth of the amplifier.

Last edited by AndrewT; 27th February 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 28th February 2012, 05:58 AM   #1087
diyAudio Member

Hi,

completed the other part and PSU. how to add two LEDs on Psu _ and + voltage? my psu DC voltage is 60v.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by space2000; 28th February 2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 28th February 2012, 07:06 AM   #1088
diyAudio Member

Hi Space2000,

the voltage drop across a standard LED is about 2V.

To let the LED shine with say 5mA, you must calculate the value of a resistor across which 58V (since you are using a +/- 60 VDC PSU) will drop while 5mA is flowing.

Take a 10K resistor, connect the cathode of the LED to GND, the anode of the LED (the anode's leg is the longer one) to one side of the resistor and the other side of the resistor to your positive rail voltage.
Reverse the LED while connecting to the negative power rail.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos
Old 28th February 2012, 11:04 AM   #1089
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi_Ratlos View Post
Hi Space2000,

the voltage drop across a standard LED is about 2V.

To let the LED shine with say 5mA, you must calculate the value of a resistor across which 58V (since you are using a +/- 60 VDC PSU) will drop while 5mA is flowing.

Take a 10K resistor, connect the cathode of the LED to GND, the anode of the LED (the anode's leg is the longer one) to one side of the resistor and the other side of the resistor to your positive rail voltage.
Reverse the LED while connecting to the negative power rail.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos
Thanks for help.
Old 28th February 2012, 01:31 PM   #1090
Junie is offline Junie  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
That 100uF capacitor that is the DC block in the NFB path could be a 3Vdc component and the amplifier would still perform well.

If one wants to ensure that the low voltage cap in this blocking position is never abused then add a diode across it so that worst case DC voltage across it is <1Vdc.
You can also add an inverse diode across this same capacitor to protect it from voltage abuse (when something goes wrong) from the other polarity.

Some will report that higher voltage electrolytics perform better than lower voltage electrolytics when passing audio signals.
This DC blocking capacitor should have near zero DC voltage across it, when the amplifier is operating properly and should also have near zero AC voltage across it when the amplifier is operating properly.

A DC blocking capacitor that has no DC voltage and no AC voltage across it cannot contribute to the distortion that the amplifier creates.
i.e. A properly sized DC blocking capacitor cannot be heard.
Make it big and use low voltage if the space/cost requires that.
Use the input capacitors to limit the bandwidth of the amplifier.
Andrew, isn't it adding a diode in NFB will rectify the output signal which lead to DC presence in the input stage? Maybe i'm wrong

Hide this!Advertise here!