Marantz SR2000 Receiver: Worth saving?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

I bought a Marantz SR 2000 Receiver from a car boot sale yesterday. Paid £3.

It is very quiet. What I mean, is, in order to listen at a reasonable volume, the control is 2/3 the way round. If I max the control, I only get a more distorted (not louder) sound. It happens on Phono, Line Level and with the tuner section.
I don't think this is by design.

Is it worth my time to find the fault and fix it, or shall I not bother and throw it in the bin? I wonder if anyone has heard of the problem and knows a quick fix?

Any help would be gratfully received.

sorry to say that there nothing special about this amplifier BUT ...

you may always keep as a classic piece and will always sound sweet and coloury ( sound will have a certain colour not real but kinda pleasent )

a pair of small nice speakers and you will have a sweet secondary system

Rule :
to keep it alive for many years to come you need to replace all electrolytics form inside ( all means all and that will include tuner electrolytics also )

spray also pots and switches and you are done for another 30-40 years ...

you may find that after the repair you also have aquiet sensitive tuner

some more info in a can can be found here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/136261-vintage-amplifier-repair-upgrade-manual.html

email me also if you need schematic or aditional help

kind regards sakis

Edit : Do not touch any of the trimers in the tuner ..if you have any trouble in tuner area 99% is coming from electrolytics

as about the fault is 50% electrolytics 50% dirt

Last edited:
It turns out that it was a fuse. None of the backlights worked, which I assumed was bulb failiure in the first instance.. Tracing the circuit lead me to the fuse on the PS board..
Thanks to all for your help, fuse very happy with it now and I'm glad that I didn't throw it away!

Stephen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.