Hiraga 20W class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
can you measure the voltage without a load?
Then measure with a low current load, eg. bias set to 500mA and then voltage when bias set to 1000mA.

I have been measured with no load, after rectifier bridge, when both (left and right) channels are disconnected.
what is the secondary Vac when the rectified & smoothed =18Vdc
You have smoothed the rectified AC? or not!!!

Hi Sajti,
I would never use the KSC2690/KSA1220 as VAS
They do a better job in current stages.
But this amplifier has different requirements, because that stage has to provide the base current of the output devices. The low Ic max types has significant beta drop with high Ic. The 2SC2911/2SA1209 B drops from 250 down to 100 at 100mA.
Very true. It`s kind of a problem. Such currents place them far outside their linear zone. In my view, the types with specified Icmax=50mA, should not be used at more than 10mA. As stated, video transistors are meant for high voltage-low current operation. Look, there´s much more to say about this issue.
The speed is equal. Only the capacitances are higher (19pF vs 4pF). This is the only drawback
They have fundamentally different properties, maybe not apparent from data sheets. That`s what I`m desperately trying to point out.
I don't know what do You mean with coarse types? The types I recommend is not for switching.
Western manufacturers have been developing semiconductors almost exclusively with switching performance in mind.

I have purchased boards for what appears to be a Hiraga Le Monstre with 20-22 volt rails . I've poured through this thread and two others only to find wide ranging opinions regarding semiconductors. The parts list that is associated with the boards calls for 2n3055/mj2955 outputs ,2sd756/2sb716 drivers and 2sa872/2sc1775 cascode. The venerable j170/k74 jfets are at the input.

Two concerns; the 2n3055 combo which has been all but forgotten and the 2sb716 which is the only small piece I cant seem to buy.

The threads indicate other possibilities both for drivers and outputs.Would anyone care (I hope so) to offer alternatives based on actual experience.

I really have spent time looking through the threads and am not looking for an easy way out.

Thanks so much.:)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I bought and built a Danish kit version many years ago
Very serious kit with absolute top of the top quality parts, unobtainaly to ordinary people, back then

I dont know if anything was changed from the original, but seems to me transistors are different
The outputs were with green housing, so I suppose they were all genuine Toshiba
I have specs on other used parts too, if needed

btw, it worked flawlessly, very good, still regret I sold it :)

Attachments

• hiraga stor.JPG
    hiraga stor.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 840
  • hiraga transistorer.jpg
    hiraga transistorer.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 832
Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I have purchased boards for what appears to be a Hiraga Le Monstre with 20-22 volt rails . I've poured through this thread and two others only to find wide ranging opinions regarding semiconductors. The parts list that is associated with the boards calls for 2n3055/mj2955 outputs ,2sd756/2sb716 drivers and 2sa872/2sc1775 cascode. The venerable j170/k74 jfets are at the input.

Two concerns; the 2n3055 combo which has been all but forgotten and the 2sb716 which is the only small piece I cant seem to buy.

The threads indicate other possibilities both for drivers and outputs.Would anyone care (I hope so) to offer alternatives based on actual experience.

I really have spent time looking through the threads and am not looking for an easy way out.

Thanks so much.:)

Hi Sandy,

This is not a Le monstre it is the 20W class A... i think perhaps you will find much better results with different output transistors than 2N3055/2955

PS: I have some 2sd756/2sb716 left PM or email danw1million@hotmail.com so i dont annoy anyone on here.

-Dan

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi there,

Well, if you've looked through the threads then you've probably already found what little I can contribute, but let me repeat it anyhow... I've done three Le Monstres, all using some combination of "modern equivalents", and one Le Classe A (20W) which was all original except for the output transistors.
There is a lot of info on this site:

http://www.tcaas.btinternet.co.uk/

including copies (and translations) of the original articles. The first Le monstre I built is similar to the modern equivalent circuit at

http://www.kk-pcb.com/hiraga.html

(although not the same jfets). This uses the TIP3055/2955, and is in many ways the most sucessful build. (I'm listening to it right now, actually...) Since then I've done others, and have tried 2SC5200/2SA1943 and MJW3281/1302 as output devices. I have to say, I don't think I 've found the best combination yet, but I'll doubtless have another go sometime soon...

I'm a little surprised at the rail voltages you give; +/- 12V is used in the original Le Monstre. Do you have a schematic?

Dan: The schematic tinitus posted is certainly for the Le Classe A, not the Le Monstre, but Sandy said the input jfets listed were 2SK170 and 2SJ74, which the Classe A doesn't use... in fact, it doesn't use jfets at all...

Cheers

Nigel

Joined 2005
Paid Member
looks like a Le Monstre layed out slightly differently.

Hi Andrew - Long time no speak - the output transistors are connected like the normal Le Monstre. it is strange but correct :)

Strange to have the rail voltage at +/- 22V though at least for le monstre.

-Dan

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
The parallel resistor is no big deal.The resistance at that point is 470 ohm 5 watt which could be a combo of two 3watters. The rail caps are a simple refinement which may make little or no difference in performance. I'm not sure why I 'm doing this project but if for no other reason I can make a comparison with my ZEN(s).

One point;the semis are all TO-92 except the outs which can either be TO-3 0r TO-220.

There is no bias or other info included with this package . I'm eyeing a cap multiplier for power but also considering CLC.Can do about 68,000uf without spending a dime. There is no reason why I'd have to adhere to 22v rails and may decide not to .Have a 24vct 10 amp trans sitting idle.

Again thanks for the help:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.