Hiraga 20W class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I tried to answer to your PM but it didn't went on so I lost the answer.
Please do not change under any circumstances the 2SA782 &2SC1775 BJT-s.
Please try to look up the lay out and the rest of the info, I posted several time on the forum. Probably I deleted because I do not find them.
Greetings Gabor

Hello
I tried to answer to your PM but it didn't went on so I lost the answer.
Please do not change under any circumstances the 2SA782 &2SC1775 BJT-s.
Please try to look up the lay out and the rest of the info, I posted several time on the forum. Probably I deleted because I do not find them.
Greetings Gabor

Gabor,
though you are pertinent (DON'T :eek:), but .. . . is 2SA940/2SC2240 an option? I have seen this pair as a replacement in Le Classe A - but I can't find the Rbb. I bought two lots of both, match well. Intend to use these.

The commonly seen BC549/BC559 etc has a higher Rbb, in the order of 20 ohms. But they do have a flat Hfe, which is important too.

Just searching on the net, I found 2SA1316 with an Rbb of 2 ohm, and a Cob of 6 pF. I bought some, measure well, but I can't find the complement 2SC3329.
[I find the prices for 2SA782/2SC1775 just too steep] :rolleyes:

The circuit boards of Jims audio are good: plated through holes. Thick copper. Military grade. You need a good soldering iron!

Hello
Look I know after my experience what I advise. You can take it or you can try to replace those BJT-s and after start all the endless research.
If we would talk here BC550C & 560C right away I would say replace it wit 2SK170BL & 2SJ74BL. Great improvement.
Since I tried several other type BJT and after I went back to use my short cut leads over soldered orig BJT I know it worth to buy them if you have source and you have no more headache.
I have a circuit I want to test someone mod it lot of LED, other type BJT etc I still I test it with the orig 2SA782/2SC1775.
It is possible to replace those BJT? Yes I don't say not. I built several Hiraga.
The problem these amp very sensitive every parts U use plus the PS is very important to.
If you want have a peace of mind at least test one side with the orig another side replace it ans com pare them again and again. Let us know if you find something close (sound wise) to the orig please.

Greetings Gabor

Yes indeed: Fig. 2: Modified version, class A, 60 Watts, using V-Fet transistors at the output

Hello
I wanted to try that V-Fet type. Forget it. Even if you get the orig V-Fet for horrible price the measurement no longer much with the data.
Someone get those I think (I'm not sure but not Ebay product) from Mouser , he did some measurement , after returned to the seller (company). I read that and I'm not willing to pay for those ancient parts $60/each or so.
Greetings Gabor

Hello
I wanted to try that V-Fet type. Forget it. Even if you get the orig V-Fet for horrible price the measurement no longer much with the data.
Someone get those I think (I'm not sure but not Ebay product) from Mouser , he did some measurement , after returned to the seller (company). I read that and I'm not willing to pay for those ancient parts $60/each or so.
Greetings Gabor

I will use 2SK175, 2SJ55 as I have a bunch of them and they work very well in my F5. The schema remains the same this way. The gate voltage will be around 1,6 V plus the voltage across the emitter resistance of 1 ohm at 1 ampere (1 ohm in this diagram; in the common BJT output there is o,47 ohm or lower).

Hello triode

Please after you tested let us know how it work out. Thank you:D
I prefer the sound of the Fet, many years I was interested on that schematic but not with those old V-Fet.
Also one day I will test the LeMostre mosfet version.
I made the PC boards but now I'm busy with other project.
I post the schematic here if someone interested........:)

Greetings Gabor

Attachments

• hiraga_mosfet.gif
    hiraga_mosfet.gif
    14.2 KB · Views: 910
Hello triode

Please after you tested let us know how it work out. Thank you:D
I prefer the sound of the Fet, many years I was interested on that schematic but not with those old V-Fet.
Also one day I will test the LeMostre mosfet version.
I made the PC boards but now I'm busy with other project.
I post the schematic here if someone interested........:)

Greetings Gabor

That's a nice combination of Le Monstre and the Le Classe A variant of the Sony Farlington.
I plan to use HIT667, + HIT647 as drivers. That must be good enough for the input capacitance, there is no real current like with a BJT output.

Hello

Yes it look like a error in the circuit com pare to the orig Monster!
Thanks one more time.:)
Now I have to pay att. on the PC board to...
The lay out need to be rescale when you printed out!

Greetings Gabor

Attachments

• Hiraga-Monstre-Monster-Class-A-amplifier-schematic.png
    Hiraga-Monstre-Monster-Class-A-amplifier-schematic.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 838
  • hiraga_mosfet.gif
    hiraga_mosfet.gif
    14 KB · Views: 801
In the original the cascode bias goes to ground.
With due attenuation of the feedback (220 ohms/10 ohms á Le Monstre and maximum signal of 10 peak) this means that the Vds swings one volt underneath the cascode. That is OK.
With a higher voltage, the Vds starts to swing more. At a certain point (like in the F5 cascode!) there is 5 volts swing on the Vds - to much imho, the whole sense of the cascode disappears, except for the dissipation/heat.
  • (The sonic reason is that it decreases the capacitances of the input JFets and makes them more transparent)

So Gabor,
My reasoned suggestion: connect the bottom of the bias divider to the 10 ohms of the feedback.

[The all BJT Le Classe A don't have a cascode]

Hello
So you say to use the connection at the mosfet version it was correct. Connect to the ground!? Like the schematic at the post 571?
Please advise if I understand it well. All do I want to go a bit higher PS voltage. About 17V rail voltage but I still do not think that extra 5V will do 5V swing.
Greetings Gabor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.