Hiraga 20W class A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
gaborbela said:
HI Salas
Please do not buy any secret from me jut take your time test a dozen power transistor and a dozen driver ,so take your time .
I have no secret to sell it to you , especially not a Chinese secret .
That is why I do not want to share because some people do not appreciate another people effort .
These is not a secret , just there are people not planing to build these amp they just like to mix the .... around .
Then years before I built my first Hiraga after the UK site schematic but it was terrible .
After I found another schematic which is way better so from that I tried any trick to do some improvement .
Why should I share to everyone especially who not planing to build these amp .
About the caps it may be better than the regular let say Mepco or Philips capacitor but I do not believe that make such a big improvement .
Just a waste of money $$$ .
A couple weeks now I built a French amp using Caddock resistors what a waste of money .
Whit one good Russian PIO capacitor I did more improvement than $100 value Caddock resistors .

Regards

Yes I would do. Checking out some compatible semiconductors is no big deal. Plus I would not trust someone's finding that is not shared, thus unable to be confirmed. It may be based on bad sonic taste or a bad system.

HI
I'm not unable to confirm what I found better , I just don't want to share with guys like you .
Who do not appreciate another people time and effort . Unfortunately there are many of them !!!
So please go on and spend some $$$ on transistors and a couple days to find out which one you like it or sound better .
Good luck

Regards

HI
Another thoughts if those red capacitors are so good (the best) why Hiraga himself try capacitance multiplier power supply .Why He still searching for better solution ?
I believe and I think many of you agree it is easier to find smaller good sounding caps like large ones . And use good transistors to multiply it ..
I have half Farad 40V Mallory caps ,actually not bad(I'm using it in my Aleph X amplifier) but not a Black Gate or a Russian PIO capacitor !!
Any way with (capacitance multiplier) my power supply I don't need to use electrolytic on the PC boards which is a good think .
Only I use 0.22uF Russian PIO caps (Teflon would be better but $$.
I'm a DIY-er more than 20 years so I have some experience .
Experience is very important in the DIY business .
Of course I'm not a guru in the DIY business !!!! Just I have a little experience .

Regards

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello Salas,
Just drink some Greek wine it will make all those little diffrences audiophles are talking about disappear.
A few decades ago a friend of mine did get bored when being in Greece and decided to see a dirty movie. Guess what they did use Altec VOT, the same i have been using for 15 years at least to hear all these small modifications. Greetings, eduard

Attachments

• mini-eerste scan k10d 433.jpg
    mini-eerste scan k10d 433.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,288
HI
May be you buy your transistors on the flea market , or garage sale .Or you use Chinese Toshiba stamped "Made in Japan"
Any way good luck to you and your amp .
In here in Canada a better transistor 8-10 bucks and you have to matched to .
So not cheap
And if you want to try a dozen power transistor it will cost $$$

HI Nordic
That is your opinion , but in the reality better if we avoid the electrolytics if is possible on the PC board that is my opinion and many audiophile guy try to do that .
Actually I tested with capacitor and with out and believe me with out it sound much better .
Of course I use the 0.22uF Russian PIO capacitors .
That is where you have to do some tests and spend some times .

Regards

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
eduard said:
Hello Salas,
Just drink some Greek wine it will make all those little diffrences audiophles are talking about disappear.
A few decades ago a friend of mine did get bored when being in Greece and decided to see a dirty movie. Guess what they did use Altec VOT, the same i have been using for 15 years at least to hear all these small modifications. Greetings, eduard

I guess they had a sexy sound.;)

Joined 2005
Paid Member
gaborbela said:
HI Nordic

Here is one of the latest amplifier you wont find a electrolytic on the PC boards .
Believe me it sound much better than with electrolytic capacitors on the PC boards of course in Class A mode .

Regards

That looks like a zenquito/selectronic style layout

high bandwidth low distortion moderate feedback class a.
with non inductive resistors ?

-Dan

HI
You right , that is the ProFet amp .
I tried different resistors and I spent a lot of money on these Caddock resistors so I decided to stick with them.
Any way the sound is incredible with those Russian PIO capacitors and Exicon Lateral power mosfets .
The sound to die for it ..
I have several DIY amplifier like Aleph30 but these little monster another category .

Regards

HI
Yes I read about but I have to think about the price to .
I know the Russian Teflon caps one of the best but the PIO capacitors are not far behind either .
I'm satisfied with the PIO caps !!They brought so much improvement in my amp I almost cried when I heard the sound of the amp com pare one channel to another .
One channel used these caps another Philips .

Regards

HI
Before some one jump in to build these amp please I want to you to know .
I use 60 000uF capacitors in the power supply each channel one of my favorite Nippon Chemi-con .The brown colored 105C.
I use WBT silver solder , 99.99pure solid silver with cotton tubing , Caddock resistors , of course paper in oil capacitors on the PC boards .
Matched mosfet and jets . 500VA Plitron transformer etc.
So it is not so simple even it looks like .
In all of my amp I do a lot of research between the parts I use .
Which one fit better in certain place .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.