Repairing a jbl 1201.1II...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a JBL 1201.1II monoblock car subwoofer amplifier I bought it off of ebay 'like new' but it came fried. :( They refunded my money (yay) and now I'd like to try my hand at fixing it. I am a complete novice, so I might need some baby talk... Symptoms: when hooked up to power, either 1. The "power" led is off, and the "protect" led is solid on, or 2. The "power" led is solid on and the "protect" led blinks fast (so fast it never appears to reach full brightness). Some components become very hot and start to smoke. No sound comes out at all. There are no apparent burn marks, though one side of the board has been apparently wiped clean with alcohol or something (looks new). The other side has a whitish residue all over it. Is this from blown electrolytic capacitors (mosfet), perhaps? The fuses are intact (though they could have been replaced). The plastic around where the fuses attach has been melted somewhat. From this information, does it sound like it is repairable? edit: I have the service manual (with complete schematics)- pm me with an email if you want it. It is also available online with a quick google search.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.