What makes a good power supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As a relative new member of DIYaudio.com I have in a short time read a lot of threads, most of them on power supplies and opamps and found most of them very informative however also unstructured :bawling:, which makes it hard to quickly find information on a subject. As a website to discuss audio electronic topics that is not a surprise.
I have background in electronics and some experience in building and modifying designs however I need to refresh my knowledge and experience in an attempt to restart my audio hobby after more then 15-years of inactivity.
Having read a lot on the information about regulator chips, the Jung & Walt regulators, I no there basic principles, pros & cons, have some insight in their strenghts & weaknesses. However I still lack the info to decide upon when to use what power supply solution and design without using trial ands error.
To decide upon ‘what makes a good power supply’ we first need a short list of different applications the power supply is used. For example:
- Voltage amplification (solid state pre-amps
- Current amplification
- Clock circuit (blocking of high frequency)
- I/V converter

For each application type define the three most important characteristics/requirements that the power supply should have to support the best possible outcome and from that define a generic design/solution that best fits those characteristics.
What do you think about this approach, is it already somewhere else? So not is it feasible? What would you short-list of audio Power Supply applications be and what are the three most important requirements of each application.

View on Powersupplies

Hi Calimero,
Please see:
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=tweaks&n=36904&highlight=elso+regulator&r=&session=
and
http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=tweaks&n=32609&highlight=elso+regulator&r=&session=
Problem is on all forums that there are as many opinions as there are individuals......This can be extremely confusing. Some like shuntregulators, others simple emittorfollowers, others combinations of the two etc. etc. Best keep the application in mind.
Hi Raka, yes agreed, let the moderator move this thread to "solid state" Where is Oistrakh?;)

Sorry Raka, for posting this thread in the wrong Forum :)ashamed:). Reason I put it in the 'Solid State' forum was I read http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11661.

Elso, thanks for the links. I agree with you on 'that there are as many opinions as there are individuals......'. There is not one best solution and well maybe due to the fact the requirements the result should comply differ, are fuzzy, unmeasurable etc). Another reason is due to the differing philosophies that an approach is based on. For instance for me dynamics of an audio-set is important, which maybe means that the components should be able to handle high slew-rates and the Power supply must filter HF-noise. However using such technical design criteria does not assure a set will sound dynamic. So there are a lot of factors influencing the characteristic of the actual result and controlling those aspects requires knowledge of the interacting components (on micro and macro level). As a beginner where to start without falling into ‘learning by example’, which is no option due to the many variables involved.
Trying to decide how to improve my Proceed Transport and DAC, which have 3 and 6 power sections each. The firs decision is which section is worse to replace and with what kind of design. My current state of knowledge hints the analog section and the clock. What designs to use? What will the result be of totally separating the digital and analog supplies (also the grounding). Then the economics comes in (because why spending money when it is not needed) what components to use or design to choose. Generating the questions in this stage is more easy than answering them. All you guys were beginners and went through much or more the same phase and that’s why I was wondering (hoping) somebody had in a structured form documented his experience. It is not my habit to do so, but maybe there is somebody reading this thread which has done this (or can and is willing to do this). You never know, …

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.