ideas on fixing amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Maybe ! I can't say for sure from the pictures.

What you can do is this...

1. I think this is what you are trying to show but identify for certain the pins used now. One will go to the neutral and one to the live. The live will be the one that goes to the fuse.

2. Disconnect ALL the secondaries from tranny to the amp.

3. Using the bulb tester again power up and measure on AC volts some of the secondary voltages and write them down.

4. Now you disconnect the original "live" feed to the tranny and jumper it to the other pin. Switch on and measure the same secondary volts... they should be that bit lower (20%) if the windings are suitable.

The red lines are the live ones. The secondaries are the 6 pins on the other end of the transformer right? So desolder those and read the voltage from them? Since I don't know exactly which one is ground I can just put the black lead from my meter to the chassis and probe all 6 with the red lead right? Also, isn't the voltage coming from the transformer dc?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes, secondaries are the 6 pins at the other end.

You need all those 6 pins isolated to ensure that no damage can occur to the amp. To read the voltages you measure across two of the pins. Which pins depend on the windings so measure a few combinations. The voltage is AC from the tranny, not DC.
You don't actually need a ground for these measurements although one pin of the secondaries probably does go to ground. The resistance of the windings is low... maybe too low to measure accurately on some meters.

To identify the windings first, try and trace them to the bridge rectifier to get the main ones but it's not essential.

Just get a representative sample of readings that you can repeat with the different connection.

alright, the original setup measured 8v, 45v and 15v, tried switching the main live jumper, now theres no reading? there is 120v up at the other end of the transformer going in but at the other end theres no reading at all. also tried the other 3 pins, all of them have no reading. maybe the transformer is just setup that way? or maybe the other feed is for 220v.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
So that looks like they are just not connected internally. It was worth trying though. If it were for 220v then the secondaries would be around half what they are now.

If you look at the tranny can you see any wires/windings going to those pins ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.