diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

Right, this is a basic dual emitter follower design. Lower impedance speakers will put a higher load on the VAS than a triple EF output stage would. Simply adding more output transistors would help, but even at +/-70Vdc the VAS will be pushed harder than intended.

The amp was designed around +/-60Vdc rails. Unless you can do the calculations, and modify the design properly yourself, you should build it as the designer intended.

Is there anyone that wants to re-do this design for higher voltage rails and more output devices? :confused: Is it even possible?:whacko:

Also would this design be better with separate front end power supplies?;)

Thanks both for the replies. Shame there is not a simple tweak for this.

as I have a 45v AC, 1kva may have a look for a different project :)

Please see my post re the prototype of the HB amp. It uses 45VAC toroidal too.

The HB prototype currently drives a pair of 6 ohms Wharfdale 9.1 speakers, but it also drove a pair of 4 ohms Dynaudio Audience for about 2 days too. Aside from that, it has driven other bookshelves and floorstanders of different brands.

The secondary of the toroidal I used in the prototype is 45VAC.

So far the amp is still alive.

will be closer to +/-68vdc, just checked its a 230v AC to 45v AC, my mains is currently 246.8v AC. So would be pushing as I don't want to be restricted on speakers.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Thanks JojoD818 will take a look (saw your post a little on the late side :) )

It seems your mains are on the high side, are they like that for the whole day?

You're welcome, you may also find the downloadable official build guide at the store. :)

JP,
our UK mains supply is still a nominal 240Vac +-6% although for the sake of Harmonisation it is specified as 216Vac to 254Vac.

246.8Vac is only 2.83% above nominal voltage. That is NOT high. That is well within the specified range and well within the "normal UK" voltage.

Yes, I was referring to a 2pair output stage using those transformer voltages.
The actual load capability will depend on how you build the amplifier and how hot you run it and what PSU you use and what your view on reliability vs de-rated SOAR you have.

Personally, I would carry out a modeling of the amplifier PSU+Output stage & Driver stage to assess what it's load capability could be. That is beyond many Members here, so I posted a quick and easy guide.