diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We've just got delivery of all the new boards to the EU warehouse, and that includes the diyAB "Honey Badger".

However there has been a problem with the diyAB boards destined for the LA warehouse, and while we have a hunch as to where they have ended up, we won't know until tomorrow. Worst case, if you are in the USA, you can still order and get delivery in 5-7 working days.

Prices for this batch are a bit higher than normal because they're very large boards, and this was a small volume order to make sure there were no problems with the first run.

We are hoping to have mechanical drawings up tomorrow, and an "even your mom can build it" build guide up soon after that.

Thanks to everyone for their patience.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The missing USA boards (18 pr.) were sent to the EU store. You can save money by waiting, but we only ordered 50 pairs to start with worldwide to reduce risk because this is the first order. We won't have any in the US store until the next order, which should arrive in 2 months if the boards are selling well. The VAT surcharge is already reflected in the price.

Very sorry about this, but somehow, this whole project has been difficult. Won't even talk about having to mod the mounting hole locations without ostrippers original files! :crazy:

Mark

Last edited:
Packed and ready for shipping address

Attachments

• SYMEF.jpg
    SYMEF.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 1,071
Discontinued parts?

The original was dark gray background with dark red print--not readable on some printers), although you'll need some legal size (long) paper and print to fit. There was nothing I could do to make it legible at "birds eye view" (see all at once) on a computer screen, due to the large size schematic.

While looking that over, I spotted a few things:
There was a glitch in the original and Q12, Q10 labels needed repaired. I think I did it right, since the original was mostly readable, but please check.

D6, D7: Led's vary vastly, so the BOM needs a Fairchild model number listed. This enables the builder to check a datasheet to learn the desirable voltage curve and knee.

Parts availability challenges since July 2011:
KSC1845 and KSA992: That is not specific. I hope it means KSC1845F and KSA992F.

2SC3503C is discontinued. KSC3503C is discontinued. KSC3503D is not discontinued but I don't know if it is okay to substitute, and I don't know what other substitutes there may be for these low availability types.

KSA1381C is discontinued. KSA1381E is not discontinued, but I don't know if it is okay to substitute, and I don't know what other substitutes there may be for these low availability types.

SC3503 and SA1381 are a pair and HFE match is currently unavailable, but I don't know if that factor is important.

P.S.
Although the schematic specifies some discontinued versions of parts, the rather beautiful board is not affected since it has numbered references. The only thing about this large project suited for beginners is that the nice board turns complexity into simple soldering. Good job!

Attachments

• HoneyBadger.jpg
    HoneyBadger.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 58,773
Last edited:
The original was dark gray background with dark red print--not readable on some printers), although you'll need some legal size (long) paper and print to fit. There was nothing I could do to make it legible at "birds eye view" (see all at once) on a computer screen, due to the large size schematic.

While looking that over, I spotted a few things:
There was a glitch in the original and Q12, Q10 labels needed repaired. I think I did it right, since the original was mostly readable, but please check.

D6, D7: Led's vary vastly, so the BOM needs a Fairchild model number listed. This enables the builder to check a datasheet to learn the desirable voltage curve and knee.

Parts availability challenges since July 2011:
KSC1845 and KSA992: That is not specific. I hope it means KSC1845F and KSA992F.

2SC3503C is discontinued. KSC3503C is discontinued. KSC3503D is not discontinued but I don't know if it is okay to substitute, and I don't know what other substitutes there may be for these low availability types.

KSA1381C is discontinued. KSA1381E is not discontinued, but I don't know if it is okay to substitute, and I don't know what other substitutes there may be for these low availability types.

SC3503 and SA1381 are a pair and HFE match is currently unavailable, but I don't know if that factor is important.

P.S.
Although the schematic specifies some discontinued versions of parts, the rather beautiful board is not affected since it has numbered references. The only thing about this large project suited for beginners is that the nice board turns complexity into simple soldering. Good job!

Hi,

That is the original schematic, no more dark grey since the boards are already out.

Q10 and Q12 seems to be right where they should be. I have built the official diyAudio Honey Badger prototype using the same files to test the validity of the board. If there is something wrong with the schematic/board label please feel free to point where the glitch is.

D6 and D7 LEDs are just there for indicating V+ and V- are up and running in the board, I believe there is no direct effect on the sonics of the amp and so any Red/Blue LED available at your parts bin or nearest parts shop should be ok.

As for the discontinued parts, most are still available elsewhere in the world, but in the spirit of making this "continent" proof, the official Build Guide shall have a list of potential alternatives which should be, again, available at your local parts shop or favorite online vendor.

:)