diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

WHICH ONE IS RIGHT SCHEMATIC THAT YOU ALL TALK ABOUT THIS AMPLIFIER CIRCUIT? AND PLEASE POST IT I WANT TO KNOW IF THIS AMPLIFIER SOUNDS GOOD?

HOW MANY WATTS IS THAT OSTER GIVE ?? WHICH ONE IS RIGHT OSTER OR THE ANOTHER ONE?

OR DESTROYER X? AMP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know where ostripper has gotten too? I hope he is ok.

If anyone wants to build this amp all the info is on these pages. Schematic and pcb layout are both correct. BTW "rissoto" this amp sounds fantastic and is rated at 180w into an 8ohm load. I have done a side by side comparison with destroyers blame st amplifier(60w) and sonically there is no difference only this can provide more power and so has some more headroom. Just build it already.

Simon

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ok guys I really appreciate your interest. And I'd appreciate your input/help.

The problem as I understand it is that Gerber files can't be edited. They are like an output file, but you need the original Eagle files or whatever to go back to to make mods. We HAVE the Gerber files. But best that we can determine, the spacing of the holes doesn't match our "diyAudio Standard"

So you'll say "well just send it out already, who cares about the standard", and I think you're right, but I would ask if there's someone who can make the changes first- or it it is even possible..

The advantage of the standard, is that someone who has a chassis with heatsinks drilled for the First Watt amps, can easily switch to this amp and vice versa. Also if we produce a chassis with drilled hole on the heatsinks, these boards and the MOSFETS will screw right on..

BUT if we can't confirm the hole spacing or change it , We'll just send it out and get some really great boards in a month..

Last edited:
But best that we can determine, the spacing of the holes doesn't match our "diyAudio Standard" .

Can you elaborate on this?

Looking at the latest gif/jpg files (25 July 2011), the spacing seems to be 40mm center-center for the power devices, as per the diyAudio standard.

The board mounting holes are quite different though. The board can only mount on two of the F5-X power device positions, as shown in the standard. Is this the problem?

The standard does not provide for mounting of the drivers or the Vbe multiplier, but JoJo seems to have found a workable solution for this, without tapping the heat-sink?

This is a great project. There are probably a few willing to redraw the PCB from scratch following OS's layout, if required. It would be regrettable to have OS out of the loop though.

It would be nice to see this go ahead sometime soon, and I'd especially like to see a finished amplifier tested and measured on the final board design so we know what we're looking at getting. Not having a dig for delays, as I understand those well, just expressing a hope it will be finalised in the next few months.

Sims are interesting, but not convincing for me.

I'm interested in a dozen channels to replace all the amps in the triamped surrounds that take up so much rack space and build all 3 channels into the WG spare volume. A small production line would make assembly and testing more efficient too.

As far as I recall, Ost signed out on a planned temporary basis to suit his circumstances.

Ost, is the designer and he has designed the PCB layout to meet his criteria.
The Layout does not need to be redesigned.

Stop mucking about.
Ost was invited to design this amplifier because he had a balance of skills that the Forum recognised. Let Ost finish this properly himself.

In the meantime can anyone reverse engineer the Ost Gerbers to show the PCB in it's various layers?

If so, we can then check the actual device locations to see how close they are to the Forum's standard.

Last edited:
Can anyone reverse engineer the Gerber files back to a PCB layout in it's various layers?

..................In the meantime can anyone reverse engineer the Ost Gerbers to show the PCB in it's various layers?

If so, we can then check the actual device locations to see how close they are to the Forum's standard.

Ok...go ahead Andrew
What?

Are you being a deliberate A**E H**E?

As far as I recall, Ost signed out on a planned temporary basis to suit his circumstances.

Ost, is the designer and he has designed the PCB layout to meet his criteria.
The Layout does not need to be redesigned.

Stop mucking about.
Ost was invited to design this amplifier because he had a balance of skills that the Forum recognised. Let Ost finish this properly himself.

In the meantime can anyone reverse engineer the Ost Gerbers to show the PCB in it's various layers?

I could try loading them up in Altium. If that works I should be able to measure distances or if nothing else duplicate the layout. I'm very interested in this project but I haven't followed the latest developments in this thread so you'll have to update me on exactly what needs to be checked. But first let me try to import them like I said. I'll report back.