diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

I must not be doing something right... I am using a Cannon printer, maybe the toner is TOO tuff... Three to 5 minutes is not even close...and I am pressing hard like hell, real hard...

I am going to try another Printer

More important than pressing hard is to press every square inch.
You really have to work the whole board.
Do not let the iron tip dig in though - you will move the tracks.
5 minutes should be plenty for a 4x6 inch board.

Another method: I heat the board for 5 minutes, highest heat, moving the iron every 30s or so. Pressing, not sliding.
Then I roll it with a rubber platen roller from an old dot-matrix printer, once up-down, once left-right and once diagonal, using a lot of pressure:
platen roller - Google Search
After that soak in cool water and done.

Of course you are cleaning the board with a scotch-brite pad and then acetone before ironing?

I shine it with steel wool pad, perfectly clean, but I will use the acetone next time, that sounds great... I like the part about pressing, not sliding, I do get some smugeing and other distortions too.

Thanks, that is why this forum is the greatest, too the point helpful suggestions from those that have DONE it...

my board is about twice that size.

I think the printer is my problem. I don't think there is enough toner on the paper. too little for a Quicker transfer.

ostripper amp equals big thumbs up

Hi all.

Nearly finished now, just needs a nice paint job. Had a nice test comparison yesterday with a fellow diyaudio member and 3 different amps Ostripperrs 180w, Blame ST 60w and a mossfet 150w SKA. Was connected to a switchbox with volumes set with pink noise and db meter and switched between the two to get a true comparison on the fly(none of these perceived differences here). The concensus at the end was all three sounded to our ears anyway pretty much identical. All three are brilliant. Seems once you get to amps at this level, it's hard to pick a difference.

Anyway heres some pics of latest ostrippers amp. It has a 600w 40-0-40 tranny for 60v rails, remote controled 4 input volume control from china:) (actualy works well with no noise even with it's cheap components), $10 speaker protection board under right hand amp board. Small transformer is for the remote volume and speaker protect board. Main power transformer is switched by the solid state realy in the top left. Soft start is also at the top left and works much better with a 60v DC input. Temperature of vas heatsink never exceeds 35 deg c using the 100r r27 instead of 68r. Using 68r it can get near 50 deg c which was too hot for my liking although still aceptable for others.

Just needs a nice paint job now. Was thinking of black with white racing stripes something all powerful race bred machines need. :)

By the way I've tried the toner transfer method but could never get it to work either, always ending up with blurry transfers. I used that blue special transfer stuff and it works although it is more expensive.

Regards

Simon

Attachments

• IMGP1216.JPG
    IMGP1216.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,439
  • IMGP1214.JPG
    IMGP1214.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,394
  • IMGP1213.JPG
    IMGP1213.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 1,332
  • IMGP1212.JPG
    IMGP1212.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 1,266
  • IMGP1211.JPG
    IMGP1211.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 1,215
  • IMGP1210.JPG
    IMGP1210.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 410
  • IMGP1215.JPG
    IMGP1215.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 582
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ostripper seems to come and go. Now that we've confirmed that the amp is fully functional, we need to get him to confirm the holes are in the right place as we aren't sure about their location being perfect. Then off to the PCB house. I'd say about 6 weeks total. Sooner if he gets in contact. Anyone willing to check the files and move the mounting holes a couple millimeters if required?

Mark

Finally got around to painting the box. I decided on matt black with gloss white racing stripes. Anyone know when the boards are going on sale in the store and where osstripper is?

Regards

Simon

C6 is a charge suck out capacitor.
It attempts to keep a constant voltage across the gates of the output devices.

BUT !!!!!!
That circuit is a bad redesign of one using Lateral mosFETs for the outputs.
It has been changed to Vertical mosFETs, probably to make it cheaper.
It is liable to blow up.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It's a modushop "pesante dissipante" 5U x 400 monster. A 4U x 300 should be more than enough cooling.. We just happened to have the big one.

Price was very high, as it was imported into the Phillipines.
It would be nice to someday offer them in the store, don't you think?

Last edited: