diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

Was asking about "C3" capacitor.

Regards

Simon

Anything you can find for the 220uf NP. I just added (25/35/50V) to the BOM.

That is strange , these are so common in the states. Mouser has 25/35/50v nichicon and panasonic, Mouser needs to open an distribution outlet in Australia. :eek:

I think all 6 I mentioned are 12.5mm 5mmLS. This muse would work
(if not china fakes :( )
10PCS Nichicon MUSE ES BP Audio Capacitor 220uF 25V NEW | eBay
Some say the muse will give better sound used as the DC blocking (C3) and the Vbe cap (C9). My panasonics have no issues , so who knows ??? "audiophile parts" ???
primeo !!! al dente !

PS- Maybe we could identify which parts are difficult to source globally and list them. Then we could either recommend alternatives or offer some of these parts along with the kit. Just a thought.

OS

Last edited:
Thanks so electrolytic it is then.
Will get the muse bright green ones and hope it's not fake.(does come from china though):)

2pcs Nichicon Muse BP Bi-Polar Capacitor 220uF/50V | eBay

Regards

Simon

I have had the honor of some good china passives. Small electro's they don't bother with as much , as Nichicon/panasonic actually have china factories.
EVERY ONE of my kingsbright china blue led's has failed- beware!! I even run them at 1-2mA , they still fail.:( So ,you can't win them all....

OS

Mouser and Digikey operate solely to the united states as far as I know and charge reasonable shipping whilst at it. They will ship worldwide mind you but charge an arm and a leg for it. This is quite frustrating because even with farnell/RS you still find loads of products (usually semi's) that those two just don't stock, yet Mou/Dig do. I have ordered a couple of times Mouser and once from Digikey, both give free shipping on orders over £50 but with taxes and import duty added on this comes out to over £75.

RS components are superb, free next day shipping on any order, I just wish their parts inventory was bigger.

I finally made my first Mouser order. The saving in component prices more than made up for the extortionate postage charges. Then I increased my quantities to ensure "free" postage to UK. But, I still had to pay UK VAT @ 20%.
In the past I have found Digikey and Mouser to be uneconomic to the UK.

Ostripper, could this schematic of 6 pack PS work with 4 without problem?

"6pac" could work with 2,4,6. S4 (softstart) has been used with ANY power supply. adjust R1 (the external one- 68-220R - ) to get 20-22V after d1 with the relay active. With any 30-70v ac or dc source (trig) , start with 220R 3w , drop 150 , 100, 68R. Use value to get 12v across L1 (the relay).

OS

I just vary the current limiting resistor to suit the transformer for soft starting.
I have gone as low as 40r and as high as 140r on my 240Vac mains supply. I have never used anything that measures as low as a single CL60. A series pair of CL60 may be ~30r and would suit a big transformer.

I just vary the current limiting resistor to suit the transformer for soft starting.
I have gone as low as 40r and as high as 140r on my 240Vac mains supply. I have never used anything that measures as low as a single CL60. A series pair of CL60 may be ~30r and would suit a big transformer.

I'm tapping the secondary (either the ac or dc) to trigger the soft start. The common collector mje340 darlington pulls the relay to ground.

Now, for the actual trafo load ... I think I have a single CL-50 (.75" X.25" + 8-9R cold).
http://www.thermometrics.com/assets/images/cl.pdf
These were removed from the 20 YO genesis , used for it's 1 KVA trafo's. Lasted 22+ years .. so far.
I would like to get these .... Digi-Key - 570-1058-ND (Manufacturer - SL32 10015)
BIG NTC - I think member MJL used these for his big HT amp.
You really need this for a large amp , a standard switch will quickly deteriorate
, even with a capacitor across it. My Altec- Lansing had no soft start , the front panel switch was a common replacement part. :D It's trafo is 800VA+.

OS

CRUDE.

Ain't got no semi's :D Not too safe either .... :( mine runs off the secondary , not 120-240vac !! . Do not build ! BAD

Mine has nice 2 sec turn-on delay , d2 discharges timing cap instantly at shutdown.
Same with this amp , most shortcomings in both OEM's and DIY have been addressed. Some also want VI limit and onboard protection. This is best left to a
good separate solid state DC/current protection setup. I WILL design/build one soon.
OS