diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger"

the diff pair cascode resistive bias will compromise performance

1 . ---a simple improvement is to use resistive bootstrap - add a R from the output to R19 in the ratio of the feedback resistors

I would still add a follower between the diff pair degen R and the cascode bias - the diff pair shouldn't be subject to resistive load or positive power supply noise injection at this point - check the psrr performance/look for ps ripple frequency sidebands - the filter for the front end is not that great for ps ripple frequencies

#2 - why no current clamp on the VAS - you already have the emitter degen R?

3# - and I could (have) go on at some lenghth about TMC - a interesting criticism could be that the "single pole" "damped step response" of the global loop is in fact dangerous in a beginner's amp since the true stability margin is not reflected in the step response

I must respond separately to this post .

#1 - I simulated this (the simple resistor-R55). (below 1) is the extra R - is that right ? (Below 2) is PSRR without it. (Below 3) is with R55.

#2 - Ran the amp at 45-0-45Vdc massively clipping w/ 8R load in a water bucket overnight. Q9 was just warm , actually Q10-12 (to-126's) on the small VAS heatsink became warmer. I can't blow it. :D

#3 - Never had a problem with the current values for this amps TMC , but ... the option remains for conventional miller compensation.

Please comment on #1 , to add R55 would be a simple pad/trace addition.
(neat trick). :)

EDIT !!! - the resistive bootstrap raises 1k THD from .38ppm to .004% , not good tradeoff....
OS

Attachments

• bootstrap.gif
    bootstrap.gif
    17.7 KB · Views: 2,695
  • No R55.gif
    No R55.gif
    20 KB · Views: 2,668
  • with R55.gif
    with R55.gif
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,273
Last edited:
Although have built few amplifiers (only two... :p), I had noticed these mutual influence between drivers and outputs on simulations.

What is the schedule for the boards appearing at DiyAudio Store?

Mid- august (maybe sooner). Variac presented this to me right before I was going to move (to Albany NY) , 1000 mi. away. I might be "away" for a couple weeks ..
(No internet).

OS

the correct value to make the bootstrap R(55), R19 equal the feedback ratio is [edit: I'll get this right eventually] ~2.7Meg : 68 K = 33K : 820 this boosts the common mode impedance biasing your cascodes

drop the impedance of the added output boostrap R(55) and R19 while keeping the ratio and another option is to just not stuff the parts connceting to the diff pair tail - the cascode still moves with the AC input signal

and if you intend to get differential amp rejection of error V across the ground breaker you have R3 connected wrong - of course the cancellation can only work with a near zero Z source

Last edited:
the correct value to make the bootstrap R(55), R19 equal the feedback ratio is [edit: I'll get this right eventually] ~2.7Meg : 68 K = 33K : 820 this boosts the common mode impedance biasing your cascodes

drop the impedance of the added output boostrap R(55) and R19 while keeping the ratio and another option is to just not stuff the parts connceting to the diff pair tail - the cascode still moves with the AC input signal

and if you intend to get differential amp rejection of error V across the ground breaker you have R3 connected wrong - of course the cancellation can only work with a near zero Z source

First of all , I did not reconnect R3 to the "lifted" ground on the schema(fixed).
It IS correct on the PCB :) . So , I zero'ed my sources.

(Below 1-2) is with a 2.2meg bootstrap from OP (R55). I only gained 2db PSRR at low frequencies. But , THD went down to .1ppm. (.000012%).

(Below 3-4) is with the standard 15v zener referenced to ground. Here I gained 5-6db below 20hz - in the audio band , still at my standard -82db PSRR.
distortion stays at .32ppm , same as the original design.

Very small "return" using the bootstrap , the grounded zener actually does slightly better in the PSRR results.

PS -I . stepped between 500k - 3meg for R55.

OS

Attachments

• 2.2meg schema.gif
    2.2meg schema.gif
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,217
  • 2.2meg BS.gif
    2.2meg BS.gif
    21 KB · Views: 2,188
  • zener schema.gif
    zener schema.gif
    48.9 KB · Views: 516
  • ZenerPSRR.gif
    ZenerPSRR.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 501
Bonsai - I am about to " execute the bit" (Come on, Variac :D)

post151.
Can you explain 0r01 for R57&58

I use them to monitor the uV's (currents) in the simulation. I will use these insignificant resistances to plot a stepped response or on the rails to either create simulated ripple or monitor Ic. I am to the point of quite faithfully predicting what the "real world" will do before the fact. (no surprises) :D

Below is the short "book" describing what functions the basic sections of this amp perform , as well as what modifications can be done to each section.
Verbose instructions for all 3 trimmers are explained , as well as stuffing the PCB right up to the drivers and using THEM as the experimental outputs BEFORE installing the expensive power devices. VERY comprehensive , my kids could build this !! :D

PS- my discussion with "JCX" resulted in another "option" documented + the addition of a new jumper on the board (universal cascode reference option).
It's explanation is in the "mirror-cascode" section of the text. (below)

OS

Attachments

• another option.gif
    another option.gif
    39.5 KB · Views: 666
  • DIYA amp -options.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
Bonsai - I am about to " execute the bit" (Come on, Variac :D)

I use them to monitor the uV's (currents) in the simulation. I will use these insignificant resistances to plot a stepped response or on the rails to either create simulated ripple or monitor Ic. I am to the point of quite faithfully predicting what the "real world" will do before the fact. (no surprises) :D

Below is the short "book" describing what functions the basic sections of this amp perform , as well as what modifications can be done to each section.
Verbose instructions for all 3 trimmers are explained , as well as stuffing the PCB right up to the drivers and using THEM as the experimental outputs BEFORE installing the expensive power devices. VERY comprehensive , my kids could build this !! :D

PS- my discussion with "JCX" resulted in another "option" documented + the addition of a new jumper on the board (universal cascode reference option).
It's explanation is in the "mirror-cascode" section of the text. (below)

OS

This is going to be great amp and I have only one complain here. To much possibilities and a torture for an inexperiance DIYer. I suggest that you chose one or maximum two possible configuration(better one only and the one according your taste).
dado

Final (management) and DIY'er review.

Below is the "output"...

- no jumpers in the board store double sided version. (except "CRZ")

-NO errors ... checked out versus the working one (mongrel),
the "technicolor" rail trace ,and when I made the book.

- DIY'er advice and comments/changes included. Thanks Andrew !

-Good looks and durable assets (fat pads - test points - multi pitch components)

- adaptable to 3 mounting styles.

- Solder mask is not used on test points and all through holes are masked on top but not bottom , this can be altered as desired depending on manufacturer , material , cost. Not my call. :confused:

Can't think of any more features , If I wasn't making my "DBT" triple ... I would throw these in my Altec - Lansing amp case in a heartbeat.

Management , please look this over carefully. You have the $$$'s - your call. :D

Thanks, (OS)

Attachments

• DIYAfinal.GIF
    DIYAfinal.GIF
    73.3 KB · Views: 951
This is going to be great amp and I have only one complain here. To much possibilities and a torture for an inexperiance DIYer. I suggest that you chose one or maximum two possible configuration(better one only and the one according your taste).
dado

Ahhh... thought of that , too. They can skip the learnin' and decidin' and just follow the BOM EXACTLY !!! This will get them the exact amp the main schematic depicts. No more, no less. If their parts are not EBAY , it will work.

PS- they might want to read "Vbe" and "general construction" , as this will keep the "magic smoke" away. :D
maybe "advanced options.txt" would be better... :devily:
Or( "construction - advanced options") They should read all of it before they "play" , it is generalized on purpose and it would serve them to at least know the 5 sections of the topology (troubleshooting or questions) ... very basic class AB "stuff".
OS

Last edited:

Hi, OS.

1- Is there a revised BOM corresponding to the Rev. 2.1 board? Or is the last published in this thread ok? Schematics also...

:confused:

2- How low the power supplies can go? It´s about recycling used transformers.

:)

Last edited:
Hi, OS.

1- Is there a revised BOM corresponding to the Rev. 2.1 board? Or is the last published in this thread ok? Schematics also...

:confused:

2- How low the power supplies can go? It´s about recycling used transformers.

:)

Even a 28-0-28VAC (42-0-42VDC) works nice (My test trafo).An "all" current sourced amp is TOTALLY voltage independent. My AX still has 3+ ma LTP and 8.8ma VAS even at 15-0-15VDC.. Break out the E-waste... :D

OS

Schematic is quite unreadable, sory
C7 ->47p
C8 ->250p
R24 ->1.8k
R23 ->10R
R34, R35 ->2.2R
dado

Bad PC/viewer ???

below 1 is schema - quite readable right down to a pixel.

Below 2 is CLG - different than yours. (433khz unity) 90dg. margin.

below 3 - .0005% @ 10k 40v p-p.. not bad.

different values ?? ... Hmmm ,could it be the models diverge from the real part.
MJE15032/33 will form colpitts oscillator >47R and under 10R in my triple. ON semi does not specify Cob of these parts. trial and error + square wave/load test on CRO made me settle on 22R as the best value.

If C7-8 = 47p/250p , then R15/16 = 180R for 450-550 UG point + acceptable margin. Yes, R24 = 1.8k with these C7-8 values.
To save $$ on smaller silver mica's ... YES, you could change the LTP degeneration to accommodate and have the same setup/ performance. I only used 100/430-470pF because I had a pile of them - free :D.

PS - you could go: tools>control panel> drafting option> font size ... to fix schema !
OS

Attachments

• clear.gif
    clear.gif
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,524
  • loop gain.gif
    loop gain.gif
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,807
  • 10Kthd.gif
    10Kthd.gif
    38 KB · Views: 1,714
Last edited:
Bad PC/viewer ???

below 1 is schema - quite readable right down to a pixel.

Below 2 is CLG - different than yours. (433khz unity) 90dg. margin.

below 3 - .0005% @ 10k 40v p-p.. not bad.

different values ?? ... Hmmm ,could it be the models diverge from the real part.
MJE15032/33 will form colpitts oscillator >47R and under 10R in my triple. ON semi does not specify Cob of these parts. trial and error + square wave/load test on CRO made me settle on 22R as the best value.

If C7-8 = 47p/250p , then R15/16 = 180R for 450-550 UG point + acceptable margin. Yes, R24 = 1.8k with these C7-8 values.
To save $$ on smaller silver mica's ... YES, you could change the LTP degeneration to accommodate and have the same setup/ performance. I only used 100/430-470pF because I had a pile of them - free :D.

PS - you could go: tools>control panel> drafting option> font size ... to fix schema !
OS

I fixed the resolution problem, bad graphic viewer.
When you simulate OLG you keep TMC resistor out of simulation(connected before V3) and result is almost as ordinary Miller compensation. To see whole TMC influence TMC resistor has to be connected after V3, directly to Vout. If you campare to TPC simulation it will be very similar.
In this case you have this result(below 1) and 63dg. margin not bad at all.
Ah yes, I have some 47p/250p and that is why I tried with them and result is below 2.
Phase margin 65dg. .00029% @ 10k 40v p-p.. not bad.
below 3 is readable schematic as I used in the simulation. Models are yours from your site.
dado

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 423
  • Clipboard05.jpg
    Clipboard05.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 339
  • Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 699
I think your bom is not correct caps C17, C13 etc..

Just checked overview vs. BOM vs. schematic ... BOM was right on, schema was missing C15 , and the PCB had c14 + c15 swapped. Thank you!!

Updated "package" is below,
Bom OK
-fixed overview
-fixed schema

Fixed PCB gerbers for screenprint.
PS - LT file did not have .include DIYAamp.txt .... fixed and tested. :)
:eek::eek::eek::eek: any other errors - please tell.

OS