diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger" - Page 78 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2012, 11:53 PM   #771
diyAudio Member

Default re: XFMR voltage

I understand trying to get an approximation of OP power for a given XFMR but I don't think it's all that critical in the whole scheme of things:

1. music is dynamic, nobody listens to sine waves (test signals) OP power changes dramatically with different material even within the same track.

2. The actual dB change going from +/- 40 to +/- 45 VAC rails will be quite small with respect to speaker SPL's, I would almost say undetectable under most normal conditions.

3. Doubling the OP power gives a mere 3dB increase
Old 12th June 2012, 12:13 AM   #772
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
approximation of OP power
agreed.....
Old 12th June 2012, 12:18 AM   #773
diyAudio Member

Default Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
agreed.....
So now we may move forward with the good stuff
Old 12th June 2012, 12:22 AM   #774
diyAudio Member

Default Honey Badger

BTW,

I asked this before

Has anybody done any testing of the finished badger?

Is there a post where I could find this info. I did look but could not find

Just curious...
Old 12th June 2012, 12:22 AM   #775
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcevers View Post
So now we may move forward with the good stuff
yes, sure...
Old 12th June 2012, 12:23 AM   #776
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
BTW,

I asked this before

Has anybody done any testing of the finished badger?

Is there a post where I could find this info. I did look but could not find

Just curious...
jojod did......
Old 12th June 2012, 12:27 AM   #777
diyAudio Member

Thanks Tony....Is it in this long thread somewhere? Or has he not published his results?
Old 12th June 2012, 12:30 AM   #778
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIL4x4 View Post
I would like to see some more discussion on the topic of output. I plan on using this with 6ohm or less speakers. It seems that my plan of using a transformer with 45V secondaries is not appropriate for anything below 8 ohms. This will change many component choices in the power supply as well. What is a good reference that explains these topics and maybe includes the equations that were used to derive these results?
depends on your choice of power traffo....i.e. choosing a 150vA traffo, voltages sag will be bigger so that your output trannies will be less stressed than with a power traffo of say 500va...

but even with a 500va traffo and a 6ohm load, a lot will depend on your listening habits, how loud you want to play...

give this amp a good heatsinking and you are go....
Old 12th June 2012, 12:37 AM   #779
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Tony....Is it in this long thread somewhere? Or has he not published his results?
i believe so, please contact him for details....

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th June 2012, 12:53 AM   #780
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
depends on your choice of power traffo....i.e. choosing a 150vA traffo, voltages sag will be bigger so that your output trannies will be less stressed than with a power traffo of say 500va...

but even with a 500va traffo and a 6ohm load, a lot will depend on your listening habits, how loud you want to play...

give this amp a good heatsinking and you are go....

Just my 2 cents...If you've chosen a reputable manufacturer...It is properly sized...It will get the job done!! There will always be some voltage sag at high loads, that's life. There will always be losses, that's physics..

I would be more concerned with proper mounting location and ensuring you will not be injecting hum into the amp circuitry. Also, I would take caution not to inadvertently introduce a shorted turn with your mounting technique, this will surely take out fuses and/or your breaker...not good

Remember, many 'mid-fi' manufacturers intentionally undersize the XFMR because they know it won't be driven at high levels continuously

Hope this helps,

Regards

Last edited by bmcevers; 12th June 2012 at 01:21 AM. Reason: update:

Hide this!Advertise here!