diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger" - Page 77 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2012, 03:31 PM   #761
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

re post761
I doubt it.
Old 9th June 2012, 03:33 PM   #762
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I doubt it.
Since you do, I strongly suggest that you expound on most of your postings rather than just say that you are sure about it because others, and that includes me, are not.
Old 9th June 2012, 03:42 PM   #763
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

List the parts you don't, or can't, agree with & I'll see if I have the time to repeat all my contentious posts with an explanation that meets with your requirements.

BTW,
I'll guess that all my recent posts are basically repeats of earlier posts, many of which do go into the detail of how I arrive at my conclusions.
Old 9th June 2012, 04:07 PM   #764
diyAudio Moderator

It's unfortunate that I don't have the time to do so, but you don't have the obligation to explain yourself with those contentious analysis, whichever those are.

On with the build.
Old 9th June 2012, 10:50 PM   #765
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

jojod, don't sweat it out...AndrewT is merely posting his opinions....
Old 11th June 2012, 07:22 PM   #766
SoIL4x4 is offline SoIL4x4  United States
diyAudio Member

I would like to see some more discussion on the topic of output. I plan on using this with 6ohm or less speakers. It seems that my plan of using a transformer with 45V secondaries is not appropriate for anything below 8 ohms. This will change many component choices in the power supply as well. What is a good reference that explains these topics and maybe includes the equations that were used to derive these results?
Old 11th June 2012, 07:58 PM   #767
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Stormrider Send a message via MSN to Stormrider
As far as I can tell from Andrew's posts, his calculations were based on an EF2, two pair output stage. Anybody paying even remote attention would know the diyAB has an EF2, three pair output stage with the target of 150W/8ohms, and the capability to drive light 4ohm loads.

His calculations in post #751 might be very applicable to those living in 240V countries, but most transformers in the US are specified for our actual line voltage, 120Vac. That means a 120Vac : 40-0-40 transformer here will not reach the target of +/-59Vdc, which is what is required to reach the 150W/8ohms goal. 45-0-45 may be a little over, with my guess being +/-62Vdc, or less under load, but this will be close enough.
Old 11th June 2012, 10:12 PM   #768
diyAudio Member

Stormrider,
You should quite easily get a 100W out of dual 45VAC Secondaries of the appropriate VA. I wouldn't sweat it too much...
Old 11th June 2012, 10:19 PM   #769
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
30+30Vac gives ~ +-42Vdc & ~ 70 to 80W into 8r0 and suits 4ohms speaker
35+35Vac gives ~ +-50Vdc & ~ 100 to 110W into 8r0 and suits 4ohm speaker
40+40Vac gives ~ +-59Vdc & ~ 140 to 160W into 8r0 and possibly suits 6ohms speaker
45+45Vac gives ~ +-68Vdc & ~ 190 to 210W into 8r0, does not suit lower impedance speaker.
unless the completed amp is built and tested using dummy loads a function generator and a scope, the above figures are at best estimates.......

no one can tell from the figures alone, identify the transformer, its specs and then we are in business....
Old 11th June 2012, 10:27 PM   #770
diyAudio Member

personally , the "internet banter " between the two doesn't bother me the least . however that said , i wish that these two very knowledgeable people would continue their "discussion" in a manner that would be a contribution to this build thread .

then they can take it out to the parking lot

Hide this!Advertise here!