diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger" - Page 75 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2012, 01:16 PM   #741
SoIL4x4 is offline SoIL4x4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoD818 View Post
C11 would fit either a 15.2mm or a 10.2mm lead space cap. Lead space for C9 can be 27.5mm, 25mm, 20mm or 15mm.
Thanks jojo, how about the dielectric material?
Old 7th June 2012, 01:45 PM   #742
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Stormrider Send a message via MSN to Stormrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIL4x4 View Post
Class X is for "across the line" voltage applications. Class Y is for "line to ground" applications. You should read up on the different variations before specifying caps for line voltage applications.

For this circuit, I'm not sure why a Class Y cap would have been specified at all. I would use Class X for both C9, and C11.
Old 7th June 2012, 01:59 PM   #743
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
Class X is for "across the line" voltage applications. Class Y is for "line to ground" applications. You should read up on the different variations before specifying caps for line voltage applications.

For this circuit, I'm not sure why a Class Y cap would have been specified at all. I would use Class X for both C9, and C11.
I found alot of info about the function of these caps, and various other linked articles, but nothing about which material to use in a given situation. A quick search on digikeys website produced a variety of materials like ceramic, film type etc. I just don't know which is appropriate for this application. Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 02:08 PM   #744
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Stormrider Send a message via MSN to Stormrider
Quote:
I found alot of info about the function of these caps, and various other linked articles, but nothing about which material to use in a given situation. A quick search on digikeys website produced a variety of materials like ceramic, film type etc. I just don't know which is appropriate for this application. Thanks
Sorry, I must have misunderstood.

The values required will dictate the composition of the caps you use. I would think you should be able to find film caps in both values, with the correct lead spacing.
Old 7th June 2012, 02:09 PM   #745
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:

Like what Stormrider said, X class for both C9 and C11 should be OK.

If you are into experimentation, C9 can be altered to make the delay shorter/longer. for 220VAC lines, values from 0.22uf to 1uf were tested to work with varying time delay. For 100VAC to 120VAC mains, 0.68uf to 1uf were also tested.

The build guide for the Soft Start has already been submitted but I guess it's still under scrutiny and editing.
Old 7th June 2012, 02:12 PM   #746
diyAudio Moderator

Y-Class are tougher bastards than X-Class caps since they are specified to be tied between mains lines and ground. But I think it is impossible to find a large value for Y-Class caps. Their always in the range of 0.01uf or less.
Old 7th June 2012, 02:22 PM   #747
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoD818 View Post
Y-Class are tougher bastards than X-Class caps since they are specified to be tied between mains lines and ground. But I think it is impossible to find a large value for Y-Class caps. Their always in the range of 0.01uf or less.
I read that in another article I found, it also stated that the y caps could be substituted for x caps, but x caps could not be substituted for y. Interesting.
Old 7th June 2012, 02:43 PM   #748
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I read that in another article I found, it also stated that the y caps could be substituted for x caps, but x caps could not be substituted for y. Interesting.
Yes they could be substituted.
Old 8th June 2012, 06:37 PM   #749
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default Transformer voltage and Power Output

30+30Vac gives ~ +-42Vdc & ~ 70 to 80W into 8r0 and suits 4ohms speaker
35+35Vac gives ~ +-50Vdc & ~ 100 to 110W into 8r0 and suits 4ohm speaker
40+40Vac gives ~ +-59Vdc & ~ 140 to 160W into 8r0 and possibly suits 6ohms speaker
45+45Vac gives ~ +-68Vdc & ~ 190 to 210W into 8r0, does not suit lower impedance speaker.

The smoothing cap voltage ratings are
>=63Vdc suit 30Vac & 35Vac
>=80Vdc suits 45Vac
63Vdc may suit 40Vac but must be checked for actual worst case voltage for your transformer and mains supply.
My 230:40+40Vac transformer fed with 240Vac gives ~ +-58.5Vdc on the smoothing caps with single bridge rectifiers, but 254Vac takes the smoothing caps to just below their safe and guaranteed limit of 63Vac if the rail fuses have blown, i.e zero quiescent current.
Old 8th June 2012, 06:52 PM   #750
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default smoothing capacitance and load impedance vs bass frequency response.

For F-3dB of 10Hz (no useful lower Bass response, but good upper Bass, Mid & Treble response) you can set the High Pass input filter to ~16ms. This requires the NFB filter to be set to >=23ms and the smoothing capacitance filter effect to be set to >=33ms
For 8ohms speaker that equates to >=+-4m2F and for 4ohms to 8m4F per channel.

If one requires the F-3dB to be one octave lower then all the capacitance values and the RC time constants must be doubled.
i.e. F-3dB=5Hz requires 4ohms capable PSU to have +-17mF/ch.

I find that setting F-3dB to 5Hz, giving F-1dB ~ 10Hz, cuts a little of the low Bass performance of music reproduction. I recommend you aim for F-3dB of between 1Hz and 2Hz for a truly wideband capable amplifier.

Last edited by AndrewT; 8th June 2012 at 06:55 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!