diyAB Amp - The "Honey Badger" - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2012, 03:29 PM   #531
Rob_S is offline Rob_S  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think the ask of Alex is, could he take OS's PCB and correct the output spacing to conform with the standard DIYA spacing. Not sure if someone can provide the exact requirements?
Old 9th February 2012, 03:54 PM   #532
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to smartx21 Send a message via Skype™ to smartx21
I think Alex or someone else should open a parallel thread to do this.
Something like "Clone DIYA amp - a different approach".
Regards,
Max.
Old 9th February 2012, 04:23 PM   #533
Krisfr is offline Krisfr  United States
diyAudio Member

How about adding separate power supply connection for the front end?
Old 9th February 2012, 07:57 PM   #534
diyAudio Member

Whazz all the fuzz about Alex's board, he's learning still but in the right direction.

What we want from a PCB in audio is minimal degradation in bandwidth domain. Tracks current capability is not an issue, correct layout organization of the parts on the PCB and PCB itself as major part here and its sum of all parasitic influences to all parts is the biggest problem and what PCB designer has to have all the time in front of himself. Theoretically calculated frequency compensations resulting in no change on finished PCB will tell us the board is fine. New problems arising (oscillations, hum, noise, etc) when putting an amp into action will tell us, although too late but nevertheless, the PCB is falsely designed.
Old 9th February 2012, 10:19 PM   #535
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
Alex, the decision to put the rails both on one side of the board, instead of wrapping around it was made for a reason. Furthermore, the feedback point is at not at the output terminal where it should be. OS's board was very carefully designed. Do not underestimate OS's work.

- keantoken
in this case, just move the output pin closer to the feedback point and we're done.....me, i put the output coils at the binding posts anyway......
Old 9th February 2012, 11:31 PM   #536
diyAudio Member

I think it's okay to fix pin spacings, why not? But the basic layout should not be compromised. If you want a different board, then by all means etch it yourself. But to jump in when OS is not here and suddenly try to change the design when he cannot add his input, is totally ridiculous and unfair. You should have discussed it with him when he was making the decisions, when there was a level playing ground.
Old 9th February 2012, 11:58 PM   #537
sonidos is online now sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Default I'm with Kean and AndrewT

I've followed this thread quietly from the get-go, but lots of people poured time into this project and Variac was already working with OS to bring the boards to market.

Most of the sweat has come from OS and he built more than just one version with good results. I agree, out of respect to him, let's stick with what he has put into this.

My vote is that this is no time for scope creep and involving interested parties in another debate for the next few months.

Tweak the boards so they meet the standards and then let Variac take it from there. That's my 2 cents!
Old 10th February 2012, 04:56 AM   #538
diyAudio Member

Nice P.C.B. Mr. Alex , PCB REV 1.8 ,Where are The B.O.M. and schematic for this PCB .Can you post PCB. ,layout ,circuit,in pdf files Thanking
Vedmitra Sharma

Old 10th February 2012, 05:36 AM   #539
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Default That was then, this is now

I had the pleasure visiting one afternoon with OStripper when he was still in TN. I listened to the several editions of amps he had at that time. I found out in a hurry I was no match, not even in the same league wrt the finer points of amps. I also found OS to have considered everything. He spoke of the years he spent as a bench tech repairing gear and the solutions (configurations) found to be most effective. Pete was so enthusiastic to share what he was working on. It was one of those encounters you leave with a headache.

Send the board out for verification before committing to a bulk run. Be sure to leave OStripper's mark on it.
Old 10th February 2012, 08:15 AM   #540
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

what ever happened to the evaluation of Ostripper's board design supposedly done by jojod?

afaik, it was a sucsess so the next step should have been board fabrication so what happened next?

Hide this!Advertise here!